Re: [dxatlas] CWSkimmer - Best Use

    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2009
      Hank, I'm not familiar with the R-75, but it sounds to me as if it is
      simply not calibrated the same as your K-3.

      If you had an LP-Pan, I would suggest getting signals for Skimmer
      from the K-3 IF. But since that apparently is not the case, I would
      just set the Skimmer CW Tone to 850 and go with the R-75. It is
      important to get the Skimmer spotting on the right frequency, so that
      when you jump there, you can easily hear the station. In fact, a big
      Skimmer advantage is that all Skimmer spots (properly calibrated) are
      heard at very nearly the same beat note, which makes you much faster
      on your feet doing S&P.

      73, Pete N4ZR
      New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

      At 09:58 AM 5/29/2009, you wrote:
      >Hi folks. I am trying to figure out the best use of Skimmer to
      >support contests. I have a K-3 running LP-Bridge, PowerSDR and
      >N1MM. Using Wintelnetx for spots.
      >
      >I have an R-75 receiver under CAT control.
      >
      >Presently I am using R-75 as a standalone and TELNET spots to
      >Wintelnetx. This works fine, but the frequency of the spot appears
      >to be about 300HZ off from the K-3 dial. Skimmer is in 3KHZ
      >mode. My CW Tone on the K-3 is set to 550HZ. If I sent the CW Tone
      >on CWSkimmer to 850 it appears to match up with the K-3. Is there a
      >way to sync the frequencies?
      >
      >Another alternative would be to set Skimmer CAT to LP-Bridge Port,
      >use the EMU-0202 sound card as the audio source and set Skimmer to
      >Softrock-IQ. PROS and CONS?
      >
      >Goal is to simply get reliable spots (correct frequency) into N1MM
      >bandmap from Skimmer and would appreciate a monosyllable
      >explainations/opinions.
      >
      >Thanks much,
      >
      >Hank WB4ROA

    • Harold Aaron
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2009
        Hi Steve, and thanks for the input.

        I guess I am using Skimmer more as a scoop as it is not tracking with my rig. With the R-75 receiver, I set the freq a bit ahead when doing S&P and let it suck CQ + Callsigns.

        Still not sure why there is a frequency offset from the Skimmer spot and the K-3. Skimmer is set to 850 hz and the K-3 is at 550 hz to get a reliable spot. Why 300 hz? That is the BW I am using on the K-3, but do not see why that would matter as Skimmer is not tracking the K-3.

        Oh well... For now it works with the offset. Again thanks for the reply.

        73, Hank WB4ROA