CWSkimmer - Best Use

  • Harold Aaron
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2009
      Hi folks. I am trying to figure out the best use of Skimmer to support contests. I have a K-3 running LP-Bridge, PowerSDR and N1MM. Using Wintelnetx for spots.

      I have an R-75 receiver under CAT control.

      Presently I am using R-75 as a standalone and TELNET spots to Wintelnetx. This works fine, but the frequency of the spot appears to be about 300HZ off from the K-3 dial. Skimmer is in 3KHZ mode. My CW Tone on the K-3 is set to 550HZ. If I sent the CW Tone on CWSkimmer to 850 it appears to match up with the K-3. Is there a way to sync the frequencies?

      Another alternative would be to set Skimmer CAT to LP-Bridge Port, use the EMU-0202 sound card as the audio source and set Skimmer to Softrock-IQ. PROS and CONS?

      Goal is to simply get reliable spots (correct frequency) into N1MM bandmap from Skimmer and would appreciate a monosyllable explainations/opinions.

      Thanks much,

      Hank WB4ROA
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2009
        Hank, I'm not familiar with the R-75, but it sounds to me as if it is
        simply not calibrated the same as your K-3.

        If you had an LP-Pan, I would suggest getting signals for Skimmer
        from the K-3 IF. But since that apparently is not the case, I would
        just set the Skimmer CW Tone to 850 and go with the R-75. It is
        important to get the Skimmer spotting on the right frequency, so that
        when you jump there, you can easily hear the station. In fact, a big
        Skimmer advantage is that all Skimmer spots (properly calibrated) are
        heard at very nearly the same beat note, which makes you much faster
        on your feet doing S&P.

        73, Pete N4ZR
        New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

        At 09:58 AM 5/29/2009, you wrote:
        >Hi folks. I am trying to figure out the best use of Skimmer to
        >support contests. I have a K-3 running LP-Bridge, PowerSDR and
        >N1MM. Using Wintelnetx for spots.
        >
        >I have an R-75 receiver under CAT control.
        >
        >Presently I am using R-75 as a standalone and TELNET spots to
        >Wintelnetx. This works fine, but the frequency of the spot appears
        >to be about 300HZ off from the K-3 dial. Skimmer is in 3KHZ
        >mode. My CW Tone on the K-3 is set to 550HZ. If I sent the CW Tone
        >on CWSkimmer to 850 it appears to match up with the K-3. Is there a
        >way to sync the frequencies?
        >
        >Another alternative would be to set Skimmer CAT to LP-Bridge Port,
        >use the EMU-0202 sound card as the audio source and set Skimmer to
        >Softrock-IQ. PROS and CONS?
        >
        >Goal is to simply get reliable spots (correct frequency) into N1MM
        >bandmap from Skimmer and would appreciate a monosyllable
        >explainations/opinions.
        >
        >Thanks much,
        >
        >Hank WB4ROA

      • Harold Aaron
        Message 3 of 3 , May 31, 2009
          Hi Steve, and thanks for the input.

          I guess I am using Skimmer more as a scoop as it is not tracking with my rig. With the R-75 receiver, I set the freq a bit ahead when doing S&P and let it suck CQ + Callsigns.

          Still not sure why there is a frequency offset from the Skimmer spot and the K-3. Skimmer is set to 850 hz and the K-3 is at 550 hz to get a reliable spot. Why 300 hz? That is the BW I am using on the K-3, but do not see why that would matter as Skimmer is not tracking the K-3.

          Oh well... For now it works with the offset. Again thanks for the reply.

          73, Hank WB4ROA