SPLIT & VFO USE

  • keepwalking188
    Message 1 of 5 , May 28, 2009
      I love skimmer. Works great. In the default configuration, a click on the call sign qsy the VFO-A. Fantastic.

      In working dx split, I have thought of a very cool use for skimmer and that I wanted to ask the group about...

      Once the dx is identified and I have the loaded up on the VFO-A. Typically I would engage split, and then set VFO-B to the frequency I am guessing the DX was last listening too.

      Often times, skimmer has the call sign of the guy the dx is working just now. So if I could do something to tell skimmer to:

      1. Engage SPLIT mode
      2. QSY using the VFO-B (perhaps with a slight offset of say 30 hz)

      In this way, skimmer would have 2 modes of operation. Set the vfoA. And split/VFOB.

      If skimmer were to look at (for example) the state of the CTRL key, and in the event CTRL was pushed, it would know to follow the SPLIT/VFOB rather than the VFOA operation.

      I can do this using skimmer now but it's cumbersome and manual - so hard to make it happen fast enough. The way I do it is...

      1. Click on DX call. Sets VFOA
      2. Transfer VFOA -->VFOB. Enable VFOB for RX only (listen to the dx)
      3. Click on the guy that just worked my DX. Sets VFO A to that frequency. Enable VFOA for RX & TX (listen to my tx freq).

      Appreciate if anyone in the group had used Skimmer in this way. Or had a better idea...

      In the event this feature could not be included in Skimmer at some point, I was thinking of another way to solve this.

      Create a filter program that uses virtual serial port pairs. So the skimmer commands would go through this filter, and then onto the target rig. The filter would normally pass the skimmer commands with no change. But in the event the CTRL key was enabled, it would insert the CAT commands to enable SPLIT, and alter the CAT command specifying VFOA so that the QSY CAT instruction targets VFOB instead.

      Hope this all makes sense...

      73/jeff/ac0c
      Message 2 of 5 , May 28, 2009
        Take a look at W2RF's Rigsync - I believe it will do what you want.

        73, Pete

        At 03:58 PM 5/28/2009, you wrote:
        >I love skimmer. Works great. In the default configuration, a click
        >on the call sign qsy the VFO-A. Fantastic.
        >
        >In working dx split, I have thought of a very cool use for skimmer
        >and that I wanted to ask the group about...
        >
        >Once the dx is identified and I have the loaded up on the
        >VFO-A. Typically I would engage split, and then set VFO-B to the
        >frequency I am guessing the DX was last listening too.
        >
        >Often times, skimmer has the call sign of the guy the dx is working
        >just now. So if I could do something to tell skimmer to:
        >
        >1. Engage SPLIT mode
        >2. QSY using the VFO-B (perhaps with a slight offset of say 30 hz)
        >
        >In this way, skimmer would have 2 modes of operation. Set the
        >vfoA. And split/VFOB.
        >
        >If skimmer were to look at (for example) the state of the CTRL key,
        >and in the event CTRL was pushed, it would know to follow the
        >SPLIT/VFOB rather than the VFOA operation.
        >
        >I can do this using skimmer now but it's cumbersome and manual - so
        >hard to make it happen fast enough. The way I do it is...
        >
        >1. Click on DX call. Sets VFOA
        >2. Transfer VFOA -->VFOB. Enable VFOB for RX only (listen to the dx)
        >3. Click on the guy that just worked my DX. Sets VFO A to that
        >frequency. Enable VFOA for RX & TX (listen to my tx freq).
        >
        >Appreciate if anyone in the group had used Skimmer in this way. Or
        >had a better idea...
        >
        >In the event this feature could not be included in Skimmer at some
        >point, I was thinking of another way to solve this.
        >
        >Create a filter program that uses virtual serial port pairs. So the
        >skimmer commands would go through this filter, and then onto the
        >target rig. The filter would normally pass the skimmer commands
        >with no change. But in the event the CTRL key was enabled, it would
        >insert the CAT commands to enable SPLIT, and alter the CAT command
        >specifying VFOA so that the QSY CAT instruction targets VFOB instead.
        >
        >Hope this all makes sense...
        >

        >73/jeff/ac0c

      • Jeff Blaine
        Message 3 of 5 , May 28, 2009
          Thank you Pete,

          Rigsync does this to an extent. But as I seem to be able to make it
          work, it essentially makes the button pushing steps I am doing into
          mouse button clicks. The same steps are required and there seems to be
          no net increase in simplicity or speed.

          Perhaps I am not using the program correctly...

          73/jeff/ac0c

          Message 4 of 5 , May 29, 2009
            I have never tried to use it that way. I am almost exclusively a
            contester, and in fact don't even use Rigsync in my current configuration.

            There are some split-related functions that I never really mastered -
            you might write to Ed and see if he can clarify.

            73, Pete

          • Jeff Blaine
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
              Pete,

              FYI... It turns out that Rigsync is the cats-meow for my bandscope
              project.... And I wanted to pass along this configuration comments just
              to thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Perhaps it may
              help some one else. This project is really a great success...

              Rigsync allows me to run this set of applications, and to be able to qsy
              from any of them...

              * CW Skimmer (scans +/- 11 khz of current rig frequency)
              * PowerSDR v1.19 pretty betty - providing bandscope fed by fixed IF tap
              into SR SDR
              * FT-2000 with IF-2000 board feeding a 10.55 mhz SR-II
              * Ham Radio Deluxe

              And CW Skimmer feeds it's bandscope info via telnet to the DXlabs
              Spotcollector application. Here I screen out all calls not in the
              'needed' category. And by clicking the entry in spotcollector, I can
              qsy to the frequency as well. At the same time, qrz lookup is
              performed, a check of prior QSO in the log comes up, and the guy's qth
              is spotted on the world map!

              Now unfortunately, CW skimmer configured for Softrock-IF only covers
              about 22khz. Not sure why that makes any sense - but Alex has no
              interest in changing that. However, it is also possible (with
              additional e SDR units) to see an entire CW segments and incorporate
              their feeds as well.

              I have set one SR SDR to a fixed-frequency - middle of 20m CW band. And
              then started a 2nd instance of skimmer (different INI passed by command
              line so the settings in this instance do not "contaminate" the 1st
              instance serving the IF feed). And then manually adjusted the IF shift
              so that the frequency indicated on CWSkimmer is correct (takes a bit of
              trial and error but once that offset is known, it's easy to qsy bands as
              well).

              Setup this way, the 2nd SDR driving the 2nd instance of CW skimmer
              provides telnet spots to Spotcollector - just as the 1st instance/IF cw
              skimmer does. However, it's manually set to a specific band and
              captures up to 200khz - this weekend I ran it on 20m providing telnet
              spot sources on everything from 14.00-14.18. Even when I was playing on
              15, 40 and 80m...

              With average loading of only about 10% CPU per skimmer instance, I think
              additional instances of skimmer / softrock set on other dedicated bands
              would work FB. My max CPU utilization with all this stuff running was
              only about 50% on my 3.3G P-quad. Seems I could maybe load up another 3
              instances to cover 15/30/40 as well without needing more computer power
              (the actual problem is finding high performance affordable sound cards
              that allow more than one per system. I did not consider virtualization,
              however, and that may work as well...

              Hope that explanation made sense... :)

              This combination of goodies allowed me to pick up about 15 new countries
              and about 40 new band-mode-countries over the weekend's WPX playtime!

              Only minor problem with this configuration for those that may want to
              try it: the offset for each mode varies slightly. A dedicated IF
              program like the WU2X PowerSDR - while being based on much older
              PowerSDR code - is customized to allow offsets to be specified by mode.
              For me, I have adjusted the rig digi modes (PKT) offset to match the CW
              carrier so one IF offset value covers nearly 100% of my use.

              The upside is that Betty is fantastic looking. And has far better DSP
              capabilities than the older code. And some things that I like to use
              (level calibration and image rejection calibration) are non-functional
              in the WU2X version. Overall, a good compromise IMHO...

              Wish list: I am hoping to track down a way to pass the call from the
              Dxkeeper application over to DM780 as that is a very handy (and great
              looking) digital/cw interface and has a nice log interface. With that,
              nearly the entire process of QSY, QRZ and map directional lookup,
              database checking, LoTw/EQSL submissions is automatic with just the
              click on the call in spot collector. Leaving me to just focus on
              setting the TX frequency which was on my original wish list.

              While I was not able to find a way to semi-automate the split qsy, this
              combo has otherwise taken a load of tasks away which makes setting the
              split tx frequency just about the only task left!!! Fantastic for the
              lazy rookie DX chasers like me...

              Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction with Rigsync. It's
              a great addition to a lot of other great programs that a lot of hard
              working hams have put out over the years.

              73/jeff/ac0c