MorseRunner (was: Re: [CQ-Contest] Awesome Morse Trainer)

  • Fabian Kurz
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2004
      [original Discussion on cq-contest Mailinglist, followup here]
      On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 07:29:03PM -0500, Alex, VE3NEA wrote:
      > > * When working at high speeds, I am used to press <insert> to send the
      > > station's rprt + number *while* entering the callsign,
      >
      > This function is implemented in Morse Runner 1.4, please download the latest
      > version from http://www.dxatlas.com/morserunner

      fb! Wasn't aware of the new version. Now subscribed to this
      yahoo-group, so I'll be up to date in the future.

      > > * It's a bit annoying that directly after hitting <enter> to log the
      > > QSO you get the information if you logged it wrong, especially when a
      > > "LID" sends a report like "5nn 123 e e 122" and you pressed <enter>
      > > after the first number. This has little to do with real contesting,
      > > where one could easily correct it after the repetition, even though
      > > logging the QSO.
      > > The approach taken by PED is better in my opinion: you can change
      > > anything in the log as long as the session is running, *after* the
      > > session is complete you'll get your mistakes displayed.
      >

      > The primary purpose of MR is to help contesters improve their skills. QSO
      > editing is a kind of skill that, IMHO, does not require any special
      > training. To the contrary, one must learn to use it as rarely as possible.
      > It takes much less time to correct one's input before hitting Enter, when
      > the data are still in the box and the cursor is at the right place, than to
      > recall the data when it is already saved. MR just helps creating good
      > habits - or at least what I consider good habits ;-)
      > What do you guys think about this? Am I missing something?

      Well, it's again a question of maximizing the score and speed: When I
      first got the report (which will turn out to be wrong later), I
      immediately hit <return> to log the QSO, MR sends "TU" and I can
      continue with the Pileup. When I then notice that the station sent a
      correction, I could (in a real contest situation) still get the
      corrected number right; since using QSK I'd even press <esc> to abort
      sending TU even before the T is complete, thus preventing many of the
      callers who are waiting from calling me. Usually I'd get the corrected
      number right then, if not I have to ask once more.
      Now I think that saving the few hundred milliseconds between the end
      of the wrong number and the "dit dit" in every QSO with a non-"LID"
      (which is 90%+) and occasionally asking for a second rprt saves me
      more time than waiting after every QSO until the time where a possible
      correction appears elapsed.
      So I think it's nothing wrong with correcting the entries just made.
      It has nothing to do with log-massaging after a contest with the help
      of any external database or so, as some ppl do and what I also find
      unacceptable.

      > Instant error reporting is a valuable feedback that helps one correct his
      > style of operation on the fly and thus improve skills faster. I would not
      > like to sacrifice this feature for the ability to edit saved QSO.

      OK, I respect that as your opinion but since that station sends his
      call again if I got it wrong, and there is nothing you can do when you
      got a number wrong, it doesn't make very much sense in then end.

      Anyway, don't get me wrong: I like that program very much and
      appreciate very much the work you are putting into this project!

      I'll try the new version tomorrow and give you some feedback.

      Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFK * http://fkurz.net/
      rediscover the web: http://getfirefox.com/
    • Mario
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 10, 2004
        > > MR just helps creating good
        > > habits - or at least what I consider good habits ;-)
        > > What do you guys think about this? Am I missing something?

        Data correction is the bigest waste of time in contesting.
        Youngsters do it fast but most OF are two fingers key hunters.
        Congrats on great UR software products together with MixW2.
        I am looking forward to new elections in your former country.

        73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU, online PC contesting since Oct. 1984