Re: [dxatlas] Skimmer bandwidth

  • ve7tk
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
      Since we're on the issue of bandwidth I have a question. Using
      CWSkimmer 1.4 I get a bandwidth of +/- 9 Khz. Or a total bandwidth of
      18 kHz. What has happened to the other 6 kHz?

      Don't get me wrong, 18 kHz is really good but I was wondering if I
      have something set incorrectly or is this normal?

      I'm using a Ten-Tec Orion, LP-PAN, 192 kHz E-Mu 0202 sound card and
      SoftRock-IF.

      Thanks,

      Rick
      VE7TK

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
        Hi Rick,

        CW Skimmer produces 24 kHz of spectrum in the SoftRock-IF mode but displays
        only as much as your screen allows. You need a higher resolution monitor to
        see more spectrum on the waterfall. Note that it still decodes all 24 kHz,
        even the parts that you cannot see.

        Since we're on the issue of bandwidth I have a question. Using
        CWSkimmer 1.4 I get a bandwidth of +/- 9 Khz. Or a total bandwidth of
        18 kHz. What has happened to the other 6 kHz?

        Don't get me wrong, 18 kHz is really good but I was wondering if I
        have something set incorrectly or is this normal?

        I'm using a Ten-Tec Orion, LP-PAN, 192 kHz E-Mu 0202 sound card and
        SoftRock-IF.

        Thanks,

        Rick
        VE7TK

        > Mike,
        >
        > This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can
        have
        > only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very
        bottom of
        > the Skimmer architecture.

      • W0MU Mike Fatchett
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
          Alright. Maybe you will get bored soon and open that up :)

          Gimme an inch I will take a mile.

          never get over." Ben Franklin
          This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can have
          only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very bottom of
          the Skimmer architecture.

          > there any plans to open this range up for people with 192k sound cards and
          > LP-PAN?
          >
          > Any plans for an RTTY skimmer?
          >
          > Mike
          >

          > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
          > never get over." Ben Franklin

        • ve7tk
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
            Thanks for the clarification Alex. I'm currently running 1440 x 900
            and that's as good as it gets with the on-board video. I think I can
            live with it!

            73,
            Rick
            VE7TK