Skimmer bandwidth

  • W0MU Mike Fatchett
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
      That makes sense.

      From what I understand skimmer will only decode over a 24khz range. Are
      there any plans to open this range up for people with 192k sound cards and
      LP-PAN?

      Any plans for an RTTY skimmer?

      Mike

      never get over." Ben Franklin
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
        Mike,

        This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can have
        only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very bottom of
        the Skimmer architecture.

        > there any plans to open this range up for people with 192k sound cards and
        > LP-PAN?
        >
        > Any plans for an RTTY skimmer?
        >
        > Mike
        >

        > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
        > never get over." Ben Franklin

      • ve7tk
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
          Since we're on the issue of bandwidth I have a question. Using
          CWSkimmer 1.4 I get a bandwidth of +/- 9 Khz. Or a total bandwidth of
          18 kHz. What has happened to the other 6 kHz?

          Don't get me wrong, 18 kHz is really good but I was wondering if I
          have something set incorrectly or is this normal?

          I'm using a Ten-Tec Orion, LP-PAN, 192 kHz E-Mu 0202 sound card and
          SoftRock-IF.

          Thanks,

          Rick
          VE7TK

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
            Hi Rick,

            CW Skimmer produces 24 kHz of spectrum in the SoftRock-IF mode but displays
            only as much as your screen allows. You need a higher resolution monitor to
            see more spectrum on the waterfall. Note that it still decodes all 24 kHz,
            even the parts that you cannot see.

            Since we're on the issue of bandwidth I have a question. Using
            CWSkimmer 1.4 I get a bandwidth of +/- 9 Khz. Or a total bandwidth of
            18 kHz. What has happened to the other 6 kHz?

            Don't get me wrong, 18 kHz is really good but I was wondering if I
            have something set incorrectly or is this normal?

            I'm using a Ten-Tec Orion, LP-PAN, 192 kHz E-Mu 0202 sound card and
            SoftRock-IF.

            Thanks,

            Rick
            VE7TK

            > Mike,
            >
            > This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can
            have
            > only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very
            bottom of
            > the Skimmer architecture.

          • W0MU Mike Fatchett
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
              Alright. Maybe you will get bored soon and open that up :)

              Gimme an inch I will take a mile.

              never get over." Ben Franklin
              This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can have
              only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very bottom of
              the Skimmer architecture.

              > there any plans to open this range up for people with 192k sound cards and
              > LP-PAN?
              >
              > Any plans for an RTTY skimmer?
              >
              > Mike
              >

              > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
              > never get over." Ben Franklin

            • ve7tk
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
                Thanks for the clarification Alex. I'm currently running 1440 x 900
                and that's as good as it gets with the on-board video. I think I can
                live with it!

                73,
                Rick
                VE7TK