Re: [dxatlas] Demo Version

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
      Hi Mike,

      I experimented a lot with different waterfall resolutions and found out that
      the resolutions other than that used in CW Skimmer work very poorly for
      DXing, contesting, pileup cracking, etc. Lower resolutions make it difficult
      to read Morse Code visually, do not allow you to accurately set the
      frequency, make the bandmap too crowded, etc. I decided to hardcode the
      optimal resolution in the program. As a side benefit, this allowed me to
      implement waterfall panning - you can drag the waterfall vertically and see
      what is above and below the current window. Rocky has variable resolution
      but does not have panning: these two functions are mutually exclusive.

      Of course, nothing prevents CW Skimmer from decoding CW on the frequencies
      that are not visible on the screen, decoding is independent of the display.

      > Thanks Alex,
      >
      > Somehow I had it on blind mode.
      >
      > I was curious. Is there a way to show more of the band in the waterfall?
      > show about 12kc. I have yet to turn on spotting but I suspect that all
      > 24khz is being decoded yet we can only see so much.
      >
      > Any thoughts on opening up the 24khz bandwidth? I would love to be able
      > look at the entire band.
      >
      > I will be registering. This is a very cool product!
      >

      > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
      > never get over." Ben Franklin

    • W0MU Mike Fatchett
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
        That makes sense.

        From what I understand skimmer will only decode over a 24khz range. Are
        there any plans to open this range up for people with 192k sound cards and
        LP-PAN?

        Any plans for an RTTY skimmer?

        Mike

        never get over." Ben Franklin

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
          Mike,

          This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can have
          only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very bottom of
          the Skimmer architecture.

          > there any plans to open this range up for people with 192k sound cards and
          > LP-PAN?
          >
          > Any plans for an RTTY skimmer?
          >
          > Mike
          >

          > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
          > never get over." Ben Franklin

        • ve7tk
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
            Since we're on the issue of bandwidth I have a question. Using
            CWSkimmer 1.4 I get a bandwidth of +/- 9 Khz. Or a total bandwidth of
            18 kHz. What has happened to the other 6 kHz?

            Don't get me wrong, 18 kHz is really good but I was wondering if I
            have something set incorrectly or is this normal?

            I'm using a Ten-Tec Orion, LP-PAN, 192 kHz E-Mu 0202 sound card and
            SoftRock-IF.

            Thanks,

            Rick
            VE7TK

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
              Hi Rick,

              CW Skimmer produces 24 kHz of spectrum in the SoftRock-IF mode but displays
              only as much as your screen allows. You need a higher resolution monitor to
              see more spectrum on the waterfall. Note that it still decodes all 24 kHz,
              even the parts that you cannot see.

              Since we're on the issue of bandwidth I have a question. Using
              CWSkimmer 1.4 I get a bandwidth of +/- 9 Khz. Or a total bandwidth of
              18 kHz. What has happened to the other 6 kHz?

              Don't get me wrong, 18 kHz is really good but I was wondering if I
              have something set incorrectly or is this normal?

              I'm using a Ten-Tec Orion, LP-PAN, 192 kHz E-Mu 0202 sound card and
              SoftRock-IF.

              Thanks,

              Rick
              VE7TK

              > Mike,
              >
              > This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can
              have
              > only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very
              bottom of
              > the Skimmer architecture.

            • W0MU Mike Fatchett
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
                Alright. Maybe you will get bored soon and open that up :)

                Gimme an inch I will take a mile.

                never get over." Ben Franklin
                This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can have
                only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very bottom of
                the Skimmer architecture.

                > there any plans to open this range up for people with 192k sound cards and
                > LP-PAN?
                >
                > Any plans for an RTTY skimmer?
                >
                > Mike
                >

                > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
                > never get over." Ben Franklin

              • ve7tk
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
                  Thanks for the clarification Alex. I'm currently running 1440 x 900
                  and that's as good as it gets with the on-board video. I think I can
                  live with it!

                  73,
                  Rick
                  VE7TK