RE: [dxatlas] Demo Version

  • W0MU Mike Fatchett
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 17, 2009
      Thanks Alex,

      Somehow I had it on blind mode.

      I was curious. Is there a way to show more of the band in the waterfall? I
      show about 12kc. I have yet to turn on spotting but I suspect that all
      24khz is being decoded yet we can only see so much.

      Any thoughts on opening up the 24khz bandwidth? I would love to be able to
      look at the entire band.

      I will be registering. This is a very cool product!

      never get over." Ben Franklin
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
        Hi Mike,

        I experimented a lot with different waterfall resolutions and found out that
        the resolutions other than that used in CW Skimmer work very poorly for
        DXing, contesting, pileup cracking, etc. Lower resolutions make it difficult
        to read Morse Code visually, do not allow you to accurately set the
        frequency, make the bandmap too crowded, etc. I decided to hardcode the
        optimal resolution in the program. As a side benefit, this allowed me to
        implement waterfall panning - you can drag the waterfall vertically and see
        what is above and below the current window. Rocky has variable resolution
        but does not have panning: these two functions are mutually exclusive.

        Of course, nothing prevents CW Skimmer from decoding CW on the frequencies
        that are not visible on the screen, decoding is independent of the display.

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
          That makes sense.

          From what I understand skimmer will only decode over a 24khz range. Are
          there any plans to open this range up for people with 192k sound cards and
          LP-PAN?

          Any plans for an RTTY skimmer?

          Mike

          never get over." Ben Franklin

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
            Mike,

            This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can have
            only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very bottom of
            the Skimmer architecture.

            > there any plans to open this range up for people with 192k sound cards and
            > LP-PAN?
            >
            > Any plans for an RTTY skimmer?
            >
            > Mike
            >

            > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
            > never get over." Ben Franklin

          • ve7tk
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
              Since we're on the issue of bandwidth I have a question. Using
              CWSkimmer 1.4 I get a bandwidth of +/- 9 Khz. Or a total bandwidth of
              18 kHz. What has happened to the other 6 kHz?

              Don't get me wrong, 18 kHz is really good but I was wondering if I
              have something set incorrectly or is this normal?

              I'm using a Ten-Tec Orion, LP-PAN, 192 kHz E-Mu 0202 sound card and
              SoftRock-IF.

              Thanks,

              Rick
              VE7TK

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
                Hi Rick,

                CW Skimmer produces 24 kHz of spectrum in the SoftRock-IF mode but displays
                only as much as your screen allows. You need a higher resolution monitor to
                see more spectrum on the waterfall. Note that it still decodes all 24 kHz,
                even the parts that you cannot see.

                Since we're on the issue of bandwidth I have a question. Using
                CWSkimmer 1.4 I get a bandwidth of +/- 9 Khz. Or a total bandwidth of
                18 kHz. What has happened to the other 6 kHz?

                Don't get me wrong, 18 kHz is really good but I was wondering if I
                have something set incorrectly or is this normal?

                I'm using a Ten-Tec Orion, LP-PAN, 192 kHz E-Mu 0202 sound card and
                SoftRock-IF.

                Thanks,

                Rick
                VE7TK

                > Mike,
                >
                > This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can
                have
                > only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very
                bottom of
                > the Skimmer architecture.

              • W0MU Mike Fatchett
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
                  Alright. Maybe you will get bored soon and open that up :)

                  Gimme an inch I will take a mile.

                  never get over." Ben Franklin
                  This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can have
                  only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very bottom of
                  the Skimmer architecture.

                  > there any plans to open this range up for people with 192k sound cards and
                  > LP-PAN?
                  >
                  > Any plans for an RTTY skimmer?
                  >
                  > Mike
                  >

                  > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
                  > never get over." Ben Franklin

                • ve7tk
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
                    Thanks for the clarification Alex. I'm currently running 1440 x 900
                    and that's as good as it gets with the on-board video. I think I can
                    live with it!

                    73,
                    Rick
                    VE7TK