Re: [dxatlas] Demo Version

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 17, 2009
      Hi Mike,

      All of my programs are fully functional in the trial mode, the only
      limitation is the 30-day trial period.

      To enable callsigns on the bandmap, make sure that the bandmap filter is set
      to All Calls, that the Blind option is not checked in the menu, that
      filtering by band segment is not enabled in Settings, and the CQ-only option
      is off. Also, set the validation level to Minimal in Settings.

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 17, 2009
        Thanks Alex,

        Somehow I had it on blind mode.

        I was curious. Is there a way to show more of the band in the waterfall? I
        show about 12kc. I have yet to turn on spotting but I suspect that all
        24khz is being decoded yet we can only see so much.

        Any thoughts on opening up the 24khz bandwidth? I would love to be able to
        look at the entire band.

        I will be registering. This is a very cool product!

        never get over." Ben Franklin

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
          Hi Mike,

          I experimented a lot with different waterfall resolutions and found out that
          the resolutions other than that used in CW Skimmer work very poorly for
          DXing, contesting, pileup cracking, etc. Lower resolutions make it difficult
          to read Morse Code visually, do not allow you to accurately set the
          frequency, make the bandmap too crowded, etc. I decided to hardcode the
          optimal resolution in the program. As a side benefit, this allowed me to
          implement waterfall panning - you can drag the waterfall vertically and see
          what is above and below the current window. Rocky has variable resolution
          but does not have panning: these two functions are mutually exclusive.

          Of course, nothing prevents CW Skimmer from decoding CW on the frequencies
          that are not visible on the screen, decoding is independent of the display.

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
            That makes sense.

            From what I understand skimmer will only decode over a 24khz range. Are
            there any plans to open this range up for people with 192k sound cards and
            LP-PAN?

            Any plans for an RTTY skimmer?

            Mike

            never get over." Ben Franklin

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
              Mike,

              This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can have
              only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very bottom of
              the Skimmer architecture.

              > there any plans to open this range up for people with 192k sound cards and
              > LP-PAN?
              >
              > Any plans for an RTTY skimmer?
              >
              > Mike
              >

              > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
              > never get over." Ben Franklin

            • ve7tk
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
                Since we're on the issue of bandwidth I have a question. Using
                CWSkimmer 1.4 I get a bandwidth of +/- 9 Khz. Or a total bandwidth of
                18 kHz. What has happened to the other 6 kHz?

                Don't get me wrong, 18 kHz is really good but I was wondering if I
                have something set incorrectly or is this normal?

                I'm using a Ten-Tec Orion, LP-PAN, 192 kHz E-Mu 0202 sound card and
                SoftRock-IF.

                Thanks,

                Rick
                VE7TK

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
                  Hi Rick,

                  CW Skimmer produces 24 kHz of spectrum in the SoftRock-IF mode but displays
                  only as much as your screen allows. You need a higher resolution monitor to
                  see more spectrum on the waterfall. Note that it still decodes all 24 kHz,
                  even the parts that you cannot see.

                  Since we're on the issue of bandwidth I have a question. Using
                  CWSkimmer 1.4 I get a bandwidth of +/- 9 Khz. Or a total bandwidth of
                  18 kHz. What has happened to the other 6 kHz?

                  Don't get me wrong, 18 kHz is really good but I was wondering if I
                  have something set incorrectly or is this normal?

                  I'm using a Ten-Tec Orion, LP-PAN, 192 kHz E-Mu 0202 sound card and
                  SoftRock-IF.

                  Thanks,

                  Rick
                  VE7TK

                  > Mike,
                  >
                  > This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can
                  have
                  > only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very
                  bottom of
                  > the Skimmer architecture.

                • W0MU Mike Fatchett
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
                    Alright. Maybe you will get bored soon and open that up :)

                    Gimme an inch I will take a mile.

                    never get over." Ben Franklin
                    This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can have
                    only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very bottom of
                    the Skimmer architecture.

                    > there any plans to open this range up for people with 192k sound cards and
                    > LP-PAN?
                    >
                    > Any plans for an RTTY skimmer?
                    >
                    > Mike
                    >

                    > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
                    > never get over." Ben Franklin

                  • ve7tk
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
                      Thanks for the clarification Alex. I'm currently running 1440 x 900
                      and that's as good as it gets with the on-board video. I think I can
                      live with it!

                      73,
                      Rick
                      VE7TK