Demo Version

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 17, 2009
      Is it fully functional?

      I am trying it out on my K3 with the LP-Pan IF panadapter. It decodes
      the code ok but it does not display any callsigns.
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 17, 2009
        Hi Mike,

        All of my programs are fully functional in the trial mode, the only
        limitation is the 30-day trial period.

        To enable callsigns on the bandmap, make sure that the bandmap filter is set
        to All Calls, that the Blind option is not checked in the menu, that
        filtering by band segment is not enabled in Settings, and the CQ-only option
        is off. Also, set the validation level to Minimal in Settings.

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 17, 2009
          Thanks Alex,

          Somehow I had it on blind mode.

          I was curious. Is there a way to show more of the band in the waterfall? I
          show about 12kc. I have yet to turn on spotting but I suspect that all
          24khz is being decoded yet we can only see so much.

          Any thoughts on opening up the 24khz bandwidth? I would love to be able to
          look at the entire band.

          I will be registering. This is a very cool product!

          never get over." Ben Franklin

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
            Hi Mike,

            I experimented a lot with different waterfall resolutions and found out that
            the resolutions other than that used in CW Skimmer work very poorly for
            DXing, contesting, pileup cracking, etc. Lower resolutions make it difficult
            to read Morse Code visually, do not allow you to accurately set the
            frequency, make the bandmap too crowded, etc. I decided to hardcode the
            optimal resolution in the program. As a side benefit, this allowed me to
            implement waterfall panning - you can drag the waterfall vertically and see
            what is above and below the current window. Rocky has variable resolution
            but does not have panning: these two functions are mutually exclusive.

            Of course, nothing prevents CW Skimmer from decoding CW on the frequencies
            that are not visible on the screen, decoding is independent of the display.

            > Thanks Alex,
            >
            > Somehow I had it on blind mode.
            >
            > I was curious. Is there a way to show more of the band in the waterfall?
            > show about 12kc. I have yet to turn on spotting but I suspect that all
            > 24khz is being decoded yet we can only see so much.
            >
            > Any thoughts on opening up the 24khz bandwidth? I would love to be able
            > look at the entire band.
            >
            > I will be registering. This is a very cool product!
            >

            > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
            > never get over." Ben Franklin

          • W0MU Mike Fatchett
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
              That makes sense.

              From what I understand skimmer will only decode over a 24khz range. Are
              there any plans to open this range up for people with 192k sound cards and
              LP-PAN?

              Any plans for an RTTY skimmer?

              Mike

              never get over." Ben Franklin

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
                Mike,

                This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can have
                only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very bottom of
                the Skimmer architecture.

                > there any plans to open this range up for people with 192k sound cards and
                > LP-PAN?
                >
                > Any plans for an RTTY skimmer?
                >
                > Mike
                >

                > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
                > never get over." Ben Franklin

              • ve7tk
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
                  Since we're on the issue of bandwidth I have a question. Using
                  CWSkimmer 1.4 I get a bandwidth of +/- 9 Khz. Or a total bandwidth of
                  18 kHz. What has happened to the other 6 kHz?

                  Don't get me wrong, 18 kHz is really good but I was wondering if I
                  have something set incorrectly or is this normal?

                  I'm using a Ten-Tec Orion, LP-PAN, 192 kHz E-Mu 0202 sound card and
                  SoftRock-IF.

                  Thanks,

                  Rick
                  VE7TK

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
                    Hi Rick,

                    CW Skimmer produces 24 kHz of spectrum in the SoftRock-IF mode but displays
                    only as much as your screen allows. You need a higher resolution monitor to
                    see more spectrum on the waterfall. Note that it still decodes all 24 kHz,
                    even the parts that you cannot see.

                    Since we're on the issue of bandwidth I have a question. Using
                    CWSkimmer 1.4 I get a bandwidth of +/- 9 Khz. Or a total bandwidth of
                    18 kHz. What has happened to the other 6 kHz?

                    Don't get me wrong, 18 kHz is really good but I was wondering if I
                    have something set incorrectly or is this normal?

                    I'm using a Ten-Tec Orion, LP-PAN, 192 kHz E-Mu 0202 sound card and
                    SoftRock-IF.

                    Thanks,

                    Rick
                    VE7TK

                    > Mike,
                    >
                    > This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can
                    have
                    > only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very
                    bottom of
                    > the Skimmer architecture.

                  • W0MU Mike Fatchett
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
                      Alright. Maybe you will get bored soon and open that up :)

                      Gimme an inch I will take a mile.

                      never get over." Ben Franklin
                      This would be very difficult. The modes that support CAT control can have
                      only a 3 kHz or 24 kHz bandwidth, this is hardcoded at the very bottom of
                      the Skimmer architecture.

                      > there any plans to open this range up for people with 192k sound cards and
                      > LP-PAN?
                      >
                      > Any plans for an RTTY skimmer?
                      >
                      > Mike
                      >

                      > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
                      > never get over." Ben Franklin

                    • ve7tk
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 18, 2009
                        Thanks for the clarification Alex. I'm currently running 1440 x 900
                        and that's as good as it gets with the on-board video. I think I can
                        live with it!

                        73,
                        Rick
                        VE7TK