Re: [dxatlas] CW Skimmer 1.4 problems

  • vk2nu
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 17, 2009
      FYI,

      For those interested, the few bugs I had running CW Skimmer under
      Vista have all been fixed. I bit the bullet, and downgraded to XP pro
      2, and all now works as advertised.

      I know some have reported running under Vista without any issues, but
      not in my case.

      I can now start Skimmer, without first having to manually start Omni-
      rig, and without first having to run another program to kick start my
      EMU-0202 soundcard.

      All is good (except for the 100 bucks I had to pay for XP).

      David, VK2NU

      > Hi David,
      >
      > I am not sure what causes the problem. If there is a file called
      > Error(1.4.xxx).log in the CwSkimmer folder, please send me a copy.
      None of
      > my programs are officially supported on Vista. Even if the programs
      work on
      > this OS in most cases, there are situations like yours when they
      don't, and
      > there is very little I can do to diagnose and fix the problem. I
      was told
      > that Microsoft offers a free downgrade from Vista to XP - obviously
      a lot of
      > other software has difficulties running on this OS.

      > I've just downloaded the latest release of Skimmer, but now have
      > problems when I try to open the program.
      >
      > I get an error message saying the program has generated errors and
      > needs to shutdown. If I hit cancel it will open but cannot seem to
      find
      > Omnirig. When I go into set-up in skimmer the rig control section is
      > greyed out!!
      >
      > I've uninstalled Omni-rig and installed the latest version, but
      still
      > no joy.
      >
      > If I manually open Omni-rig, before opening Skimmer it seems to
      work OK.

      > Any ideas?? I am running this on Vista, which I suspect may be part
      of
      > my problems, but I don't recall having this issue previously when
      I've