Faros Help?

  • Jim McLaughlin
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2009
      Can anyone help me get Faros working here please?

      The program does not seem to control the radio and cause it to change
      frequency. CW Skimmer works well and as I change the frequency in the
      program, it controls the radio. Omni-Rig works well and other radio
      control programs work without problem too. So, I am stuck. I have used
      Faros before with great results but in my current localtion, I have
      only a slow dialup connection to the Internet and all time servers
      show "Error: Timeout" Could that result in this program?

      Many thanks and 73,

      Jim
      WA2EWE
    • Dave Baxter
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2009
        Hi Jim..

        Yes, Faros does *Need* direct fast access to the time servers.
        However, I was not aware that if it couldnt get the accurate time data
        it would not drive the radio. Maybe it needs to get a time "fix"
        first. By the sound of things, you've got OmniRig working OK. Does
        Faros show the radio icon at the bottom left with a red or yellow
        background? If so, it's still got some comm's problems.

        As to the time server issue...

        If you know anyone with detailed Linux experience, there is quite a bit
        of info on the web, about building your own GPS locked NTP time server.

        One such is here.. http://www.wraith.sf.ca.us/ntp/ But its not for
        the feint hearted. However, if you are restricted to dialup internet,
        it's probably what you need. Lots of linked info there too, also if
        you Google for "GPS NTP server linux" (without the qoutes)

        Although there are NTP server and GPS time locking utilities for
        Windows, and free too. Windows (especialy the later NT versuons) is
        pitiful in its short term time keeping, making (and I've tried this)
        using any of the popular NTP tools for windows, naff all use for Faros.
        Shame...

        All the best.

        73.

        Dave G0WBX.
        http://g8kbv.homeip.net:8008/ My Faros status page. An example of what
        can be done.

        > 1. Faros Help?
        > Posted by: "Jim McLaughlin" wa2ewe@... jamesmclaughlinjr
        > Date: Sun Feb 8, 2009 4:24 pm ((PST))
        >
        > Can anyone help me get Faros working here please?
        >
        > The program does not seem to control the radio and cause it
        > to change frequency. CW Skimmer works well and as I change
        > the frequency in the program, it controls the radio. Omni-Rig
        > works well and other radio control programs work without
        > problem too. So, I am stuck. I have used Faros before with
        > great results but in my current localtion, I have only a slow
        > dialup connection to the Internet and all time servers show
        > "Error: Timeout" Could that result in this program?
        >

        > Many thanks and 73,
        >
        > Jim
        > WA2EWE
      • Jim McLaughlin
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 10, 2009
          Thank you for the reply Dave.

          The radio icon is normal until the program sends a command to the
          radio. Then it just flashes red for a moment. Not sure why there is a
          problem with this. The com port settings are the same for different
          applications. I use at least four other different apps for that radio
          (Yaesu FT-897) without any problems.

          Thanks for the ideas about a GPS but Linux is not really an option
          for me with my portable station. What I really need is for an
          internal program option to use the internal PC clock while operating
          portable and, because of the reduced accuracy, be able to manually
          adjust the time. But, if there was a program option to select a GPS
          ising a com port and NMEA data format from it, I would jump for it.
          Perhaps Alex can add this feature in a upcoming release.

          73,

          Jim
          WA2EWE