Re: [dxatlas] Rocky 3.6 CW timing , QSK , Keyer voltage

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2009
      Hi Chris,

      The PTT line is switched on the paddle contacts closure only if the Vox mode
      is enabled. PTT is set high as soon as the contacts are closed, the QSE
      output appears with a 20-40 ms delay, depending on the soundcard latency.

      Because of this latency, QSK cannot be implemented in Rocky.

      You can use your own circuit to connect the paddle to the COM port. For
      example, you can use optoisolators and make the base of the paddle grounded.
      Unfortunately, solutions like this require a power supply, the circuit shown
      on the Rocky web page doesn't.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 27, 2009
        OK , Rocky is a fine software I really enjoy to use . I can understand
        you use the soundcard latency as guard agains hot switching PA relay .
        20mS should be enough for even an lazy relay. OK about QSK , again me
        not thinking ;-) . You are absolutly right it is very easy to HW
        compensate from the negativ DSR, CTS paddle/comport voltage , however
        i would also think it was easy to code DSR,CTS as positiv voltage with
        an idle (open) key . This way the software user could switch between
        positiv or negativ key voltage . Also to be able to switch for
        right/left hand (reverse paddle) ops in the CW console. Again much
        more easy to make suggestions than actions ;-)
        best vy73 de oz1bxn chris