Improving the skimmer.dxwatch.com website

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 20, 2009
      As some of you probably know, I'm working with Felipe, PY1NB on his
      web-site that collects CW Skimmer spots from Skimmers across North America
      and Europe, and presents them in real-time graphical form, and in lists and
      and through structured searches.

      Now that signal strength (or at least signal to noise ratio) is part of
      each Skimmer spot, there is potential for some interesting new uses, like
      using http://skimmer.dxwatch.com to compare your signal with others at any
      given Skimmer, on selected bands, or tracking the variations in your own
      signal across a band opening.

      Felipe would like to know what contesters, in particular, would like to do
      with the data that his site is collecting, so that he can design
      appropriate queries. For example, he could make it possible for you to ask
      for spots at OY3JE on 40 meters November 26-28, 2008 for K3LR, W3LPL and
      KC1XX, and *you*, so you could compare your signals with theirs under
      different band conditions.

      In the meantime, The Spot Search function of the site has been
      expanded. Under DX Spots on the main menu you can now ask to see up to 150
      spots of any station from a particular Skimmer, or spots of a particular DX
      station by any station in the Skimmer network. That should permit some
      useful off-line data manipulation, but we realize it's not nearly so nifty
      as having customizable queries that you can use quickly on-line.

      If you have ideas about new queries for the web site, please drop him a
      note off the reflector, preferably with a copy to me.

      73, Pete N4ZR
      the World Contest Station Database is back, and updated daily
      www.conteststations.com
    • Graham
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2009
        Pete, you're probably the chap to answer this.

        The Aggregator say:

        "Welcome to the reverse beacon network!
        the server wants all spots on VHF+ and only CQ spots on HF"

        On 6m today, CWSkimmer caught G6TGO but not calling CQ. However,
        although it appeared okay in my "vanilla" telnet session, it didn't
        appear in the aggregator console window nor on skimmer.dxwatch.com :
        http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/dxsd1.php?f=0&c=g6tgo&t=dx

        Is this because 6m doesn't class as VHF or is there some
        configuration setting I'm missing, or am I just misundertanding
        something?
        ======================
        Telnet log:
        Welcome to the CW Skimmer Telnet cluster port!
        CW Skimmer 1.4 is operated by Graham, G3ZOD in Stockport (IO83WJ)
        Please enter your callsign:g3zod

        G3ZOD de SKIMMER 2009-01-29 13:27Z CwSkimmer >
        DX de G3ZOD-#: 50090.1 G6TGO 18 dB 15 WPM DE
        0915Z
        ======================

        73 de Graham G3ZOD
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2009
          Dunno, Graham - Felipe PY1NB is the brains behond the site and wrote the
          Aggregator. Let's see what he says.

          73, Pete

          At 07:04 AM 1/30/2009, you wrote:
          >Pete, you're probably the chap to answer this.
          >
          >The Aggregator say:
          >
          >"Welcome to the reverse beacon network!
          >the server wants all spots on VHF+ and only CQ spots on HF"
          >
          >On 6m today, CWSkimmer caught G6TGO but not calling CQ. However,
          >although it appeared okay in my "vanilla" telnet session, it didn't
          >appear in the aggregator console window nor on skimmer.dxwatch.com :
          >http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/dxsd1.php?f=0&c=g6tgo&t=dx
          >
          >Is this because 6m doesn't class as VHF or is there some
          >configuration setting I'm missing, or am I just misundertanding
          >something?
          >======================
          >Telnet log:
          >Welcome to the CW Skimmer Telnet cluster port!
          >CW Skimmer 1.4 is operated by Graham, G3ZOD in Stockport (IO83WJ)
          >Please enter your callsign:g3zod
          >
          >G3ZOD de SKIMMER 2009-01-29 13:27Z CwSkimmer >
          >DX de G3ZOD-#: 50090.1 G6TGO 18 dB 15 WPM DE
          >0915Z

        • Graham
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 30, 2009
            Hi Pete. Okay thanks; I'll repost it using "Contact Us" on the web
            site.