Re: [dxatlas] CW Skimmer 1.4 problems

  • vk2nu
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2009
      Thanks Alex,

      I'm not at home at the moment but will look for this file tonight!! I
      tried removing Omni-Rig and Skimmer and doing a fresh install but
      still the same. I'm seriously looking at switching back to XP!!

      I'm using skimmer with a K3, LP-PAN and EMU-0202 USB soundcard.
      Another issue I've had from the beginning is that I cannot run
      skimmer without first running the PowerSDR software!!

      If I start the PC and go straight to skimmer, the display moves
      really slowly and I get no decodes. If I turn on the PowerSDR
      software first and then turn it off again and then start Skimmer all
      goes OK. Weird!

      Many thanks for the responses..

      David, VK2NU

      > Hi David,
      >
      > I am not sure what causes the problem. If there is a file called
      > Error(1.4.xxx).log in the CwSkimmer folder, please send me a copy.
      None of
      > my programs are officially supported on Vista. Even if the programs
      work on
      > this OS in most cases, there are situations like yours when they
      don't, and
      > there is very little I can do to diagnose and fix the problem. I
      was told
      > that Microsoft offers a free downgrade from Vista to XP - obviously
      a lot of
      > other software has difficulties running on this OS.
      >
      > 73 Alex VE3NEA

    • vk2nu
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 17, 2009
        FYI,

        For those interested, the few bugs I had running CW Skimmer under
        Vista have all been fixed. I bit the bullet, and downgraded to XP pro
        2, and all now works as advertised.

        I know some have reported running under Vista without any issues, but
        not in my case.

        I can now start Skimmer, without first having to manually start Omni-
        rig, and without first having to run another program to kick start my
        EMU-0202 soundcard.

        All is good (except for the 100 bucks I had to pay for XP).

        David, VK2NU

        > Hi David,
        >
        > I am not sure what causes the problem. If there is a file called
        > Error(1.4.xxx).log in the CwSkimmer folder, please send me a copy.
        None of
        > my programs are officially supported on Vista. Even if the programs
        work on
        > this OS in most cases, there are situations like yours when they
        don't, and
        > there is very little I can do to diagnose and fix the problem. I
        was told
        > that Microsoft offers a free downgrade from Vista to XP - obviously
        a lot of
        > other software has difficulties running on this OS.

        > I've just downloaded the latest release of Skimmer, but now have
        > problems when I try to open the program.
        >
        > I get an error message saying the program has generated errors and
        > needs to shutdown. If I hit cancel it will open but cannot seem to
        find
        > Omnirig. When I go into set-up in skimmer the rig control section is
        > greyed out!!
        >
        > I've uninstalled Omni-rig and installed the latest version, but
        still
        > no joy.
        >
        > If I manually open Omni-rig, before opening Skimmer it seems to
        work OK.

        > Any ideas?? I am running this on Vista, which I suspect may be part
        of
        > my problems, but I don't recall having this issue previously when
        I've