Re: [dxatlas] CW Skimmer 1.4 problems

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2009
      Hi David,

      I am not sure what causes the problem. If there is a file called
      Error(1.4.xxx).log in the CwSkimmer folder, please send me a copy. None of
      my programs are officially supported on Vista. Even if the programs work on
      this OS in most cases, there are situations like yours when they don't, and
      there is very little I can do to diagnose and fix the problem. I was told
      that Microsoft offers a free downgrade from Vista to XP - obviously a lot of
      other software has difficulties running on this OS.

      I've just downloaded the latest release of Skimmer, but now have
      problems when I try to open the program.

      I get an error message saying the program has generated errors and
      needs to shutdown. If I hit cancel it will open but cannot seem to find
      Omnirig. When I go into set-up in skimmer the rig control section is
      greyed out!!

      I've uninstalled Omni-rig and installed the latest version, but still
      no joy.

      If I manually open Omni-rig, before opening Skimmer it seems to work OK.

      Any ideas?? I am running this on Vista, which I suspect may be part of
      my problems, but I don't recall having this issue previously when I've
      upgraded??

      Thanks

      David, VK2NU
    • Ron Castro
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 18, 2009
        I just downloaded v 1.4 and it's running under Vista Ultimate with no problems that I can see so far.

        Ron N6IE
        www.N6IE.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 18, 2009
          Thanks Alex,

          I'm not at home at the moment but will look for this file tonight!! I
          tried removing Omni-Rig and Skimmer and doing a fresh install but
          still the same. I'm seriously looking at switching back to XP!!

          I'm using skimmer with a K3, LP-PAN and EMU-0202 USB soundcard.
          Another issue I've had from the beginning is that I cannot run
          skimmer without first running the PowerSDR software!!

          If I start the PC and go straight to skimmer, the display moves
          really slowly and I get no decodes. If I turn on the PowerSDR
          software first and then turn it off again and then start Skimmer all
          goes OK. Weird!

          Many thanks for the responses..

          David, VK2NU

          > Hi David,
          >
          > I am not sure what causes the problem. If there is a file called
          > Error(1.4.xxx).log in the CwSkimmer folder, please send me a copy.
          None of
          > my programs are officially supported on Vista. Even if the programs
          work on
          > this OS in most cases, there are situations like yours when they
          don't, and
          > there is very little I can do to diagnose and fix the problem. I
          was told
          > that Microsoft offers a free downgrade from Vista to XP - obviously
          a lot of
          > other software has difficulties running on this OS.
          >
          > 73 Alex VE3NEA

        • vk2nu
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 17, 2009
            FYI,

            For those interested, the few bugs I had running CW Skimmer under
            Vista have all been fixed. I bit the bullet, and downgraded to XP pro
            2, and all now works as advertised.

            I know some have reported running under Vista without any issues, but
            not in my case.

            I can now start Skimmer, without first having to manually start Omni-
            rig, and without first having to run another program to kick start my
            EMU-0202 soundcard.

            All is good (except for the 100 bucks I had to pay for XP).

            David, VK2NU