Re: [dxatlas] CW Skimmer 1.4 problems

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2009
      David, I am up late here in the land of snow and very cold temps! It is
      18 degrees F. here now and we are getting the last of 10 inches of
      accumulated snow! It is a real heat wave outside as we have spent
      several days in the low digits and below 0 F. recently. But I am up and
      will offer this:

      If you have not deleted any older versions of the program I would
      suggest that you do so and then re-install the new Skimmer. That
      sometimes will take care of such issues. I have not heard of anyone
      using the program with Vista. I don't know if that is good or bad but it
      would seem that someone, by now, would have spotted problems with that
      OS if there were to be some. The lack of 'chatter' about it would
      suggest that the OS is not the issue.

      Go ahead and try a new, clean install and see if that might help.

      Best of luck...

      Bruce, K2BET (Michigan)
      ----------------------------------

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 18, 2009
        Hi David,

        I am not sure what causes the problem. If there is a file called
        Error(1.4.xxx).log in the CwSkimmer folder, please send me a copy. None of
        my programs are officially supported on Vista. Even if the programs work on
        this OS in most cases, there are situations like yours when they don't, and
        there is very little I can do to diagnose and fix the problem. I was told
        that Microsoft offers a free downgrade from Vista to XP - obviously a lot of
        other software has difficulties running on this OS.

        I've just downloaded the latest release of Skimmer, but now have
        problems when I try to open the program.

        I get an error message saying the program has generated errors and
        needs to shutdown. If I hit cancel it will open but cannot seem to find
        Omnirig. When I go into set-up in skimmer the rig control section is
        greyed out!!

        I've uninstalled Omni-rig and installed the latest version, but still
        no joy.

        If I manually open Omni-rig, before opening Skimmer it seems to work OK.

        Any ideas?? I am running this on Vista, which I suspect may be part of
        my problems, but I don't recall having this issue previously when I've
        upgraded??

        Thanks

        David, VK2NU
      • Ron Castro
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 18, 2009
          I just downloaded v 1.4 and it's running under Vista Ultimate with no problems that I can see so far.

          Ron N6IE
          www.N6IE.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 18, 2009
            Thanks Alex,

            I'm not at home at the moment but will look for this file tonight!! I
            tried removing Omni-Rig and Skimmer and doing a fresh install but
            still the same. I'm seriously looking at switching back to XP!!

            I'm using skimmer with a K3, LP-PAN and EMU-0202 USB soundcard.
            Another issue I've had from the beginning is that I cannot run
            skimmer without first running the PowerSDR software!!

            If I start the PC and go straight to skimmer, the display moves
            really slowly and I get no decodes. If I turn on the PowerSDR
            software first and then turn it off again and then start Skimmer all
            goes OK. Weird!

            Many thanks for the responses..

            David, VK2NU

            > Hi David,
            >
            > I am not sure what causes the problem. If there is a file called
            > Error(1.4.xxx).log in the CwSkimmer folder, please send me a copy.
            None of
            > my programs are officially supported on Vista. Even if the programs
            work on
            > this OS in most cases, there are situations like yours when they
            don't, and
            > there is very little I can do to diagnose and fix the problem. I
            was told
            > that Microsoft offers a free downgrade from Vista to XP - obviously
            a lot of
            > other software has difficulties running on this OS.
            >
            > 73 Alex VE3NEA

          • vk2nu
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 17, 2009
              FYI,

              For those interested, the few bugs I had running CW Skimmer under
              Vista have all been fixed. I bit the bullet, and downgraded to XP pro
              2, and all now works as advertised.

              I know some have reported running under Vista without any issues, but
              not in my case.

              I can now start Skimmer, without first having to manually start Omni-
              rig, and without first having to run another program to kick start my
              EMU-0202 soundcard.

              All is good (except for the 100 bucks I had to pay for XP).

              David, VK2NU