CW Skimmer 1.4 problems

  • vk2nu
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2009
      I've just downloaded the latest release of Skimmer, but now have
      problems when I try to open the program.

      I get an error message saying the program has generated errors and
      needs to shutdown. If I hit cancel it will open but cannot seem to find
      Omnirig. When I go into set-up in skimmer the rig control section is
      greyed out!!

      I've uninstalled Omni-rig and installed the latest version, but still
      no joy.

      If I manually open Omni-rig, before opening Skimmer it seems to work OK.

      Any ideas?? I am running this on Vista, which I suspect may be part of
      my problems, but I don't recall having this issue previously when I've
      upgraded??

      Thanks

      David, VK2NU
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 18, 2009
        David, I am up late here in the land of snow and very cold temps! It is
        18 degrees F. here now and we are getting the last of 10 inches of
        accumulated snow! It is a real heat wave outside as we have spent
        several days in the low digits and below 0 F. recently. But I am up and
        will offer this:

        If you have not deleted any older versions of the program I would
        suggest that you do so and then re-install the new Skimmer. That
        sometimes will take care of such issues. I have not heard of anyone
        using the program with Vista. I don't know if that is good or bad but it
        would seem that someone, by now, would have spotted problems with that
        OS if there were to be some. The lack of 'chatter' about it would
        suggest that the OS is not the issue.

        Go ahead and try a new, clean install and see if that might help.

        Best of luck...

        Bruce, K2BET (Michigan)
        ----------------------------------

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 18, 2009
          Hi David,

          I am not sure what causes the problem. If there is a file called
          Error(1.4.xxx).log in the CwSkimmer folder, please send me a copy. None of
          my programs are officially supported on Vista. Even if the programs work on
          this OS in most cases, there are situations like yours when they don't, and
          there is very little I can do to diagnose and fix the problem. I was told
          that Microsoft offers a free downgrade from Vista to XP - obviously a lot of
          other software has difficulties running on this OS.

          I've just downloaded the latest release of Skimmer, but now have
          problems when I try to open the program.

          I get an error message saying the program has generated errors and
          needs to shutdown. If I hit cancel it will open but cannot seem to find
          Omnirig. When I go into set-up in skimmer the rig control section is
          greyed out!!

          I've uninstalled Omni-rig and installed the latest version, but still
          no joy.

          If I manually open Omni-rig, before opening Skimmer it seems to work OK.

          Any ideas?? I am running this on Vista, which I suspect may be part of
          my problems, but I don't recall having this issue previously when I've
          upgraded??

          Thanks

          David, VK2NU
        • Ron Castro
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 18, 2009
            I just downloaded v 1.4 and it's running under Vista Ultimate with no problems that I can see so far.

            Ron N6IE
            www.N6IE.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 18, 2009
              Thanks Alex,

              I'm not at home at the moment but will look for this file tonight!! I
              tried removing Omni-Rig and Skimmer and doing a fresh install but
              still the same. I'm seriously looking at switching back to XP!!

              I'm using skimmer with a K3, LP-PAN and EMU-0202 USB soundcard.
              Another issue I've had from the beginning is that I cannot run
              skimmer without first running the PowerSDR software!!

              If I start the PC and go straight to skimmer, the display moves
              really slowly and I get no decodes. If I turn on the PowerSDR
              software first and then turn it off again and then start Skimmer all
              goes OK. Weird!

              Many thanks for the responses..

              David, VK2NU

              > Hi David,
              >
              > I am not sure what causes the problem. If there is a file called
              > Error(1.4.xxx).log in the CwSkimmer folder, please send me a copy.
              None of
              > my programs are officially supported on Vista. Even if the programs
              work on
              > this OS in most cases, there are situations like yours when they
              don't, and
              > there is very little I can do to diagnose and fix the problem. I
              was told
              > that Microsoft offers a free downgrade from Vista to XP - obviously
              a lot of
              > other software has difficulties running on this OS.
              >
              > 73 Alex VE3NEA

            • vk2nu
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 17, 2009
                FYI,

                For those interested, the few bugs I had running CW Skimmer under
                Vista have all been fixed. I bit the bullet, and downgraded to XP pro
                2, and all now works as advertised.

                I know some have reported running under Vista without any issues, but
                not in my case.

                I can now start Skimmer, without first having to manually start Omni-
                rig, and without first having to run another program to kick start my
                EMU-0202 soundcard.

                All is good (except for the 100 bucks I had to pay for XP).

                David, VK2NU