RE: [dxatlas] Bandmaster bug under Vista?

  • John T. Fleming
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2008
      Martin,

      I don't know if this is the problem, but Vista has strict rules like UNIX
      about writing to the Program Files area. As a work around to make Vista
      seem compatible with older programs, Vista uses Virtual Store which is in
      the USER area. The easiest way to find the file related to a program that
      violates this rule is to go to the folder with the program in it. At the
      top of the file listing window is a button labeled "compatibility files" or
      something similar. Click on that button and it will take you to the folder
      with the files. That may be why it does not seem to commit it to disk. I
      don't run Bandmaster, but this may help you resolve the problem.

      73,

      John

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 10, 2008
        It's not just Vista. I run XP pro service pack 3 I recently upgraded
        to Bamd Master 1.41 and now have the same problem.
        Bob G1BCZ

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "John T. Fleming" <john@...>
        wrote:

        > Martin,
        >

        > I don't know if this is the problem, but Vista has strict rules
        like UNIX
        > about writing to the Program Files area. As a work around to make
        Vista
        > seem compatible with older programs, Vista uses Virtual Store which
        is in
        > the USER area. The easiest way to find the file related to a
        program that
        > violates this rule is to go to the folder with the program in it.
        At the
        > top of the file listing window is a button labeled "compatibility
        files" or
        > something similar. Click on that button and it will take you to
        the folder
        > with the files. That may be why it does not seem to commit it to
        disk. I
        > don't run Bandmaster, but this may help you resolve the problem.
        >

        > 73,
        >
        > John
        >

        > _____

      • martinbradford2001
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 11, 2008
          wrote:

          > Martin,
          >

          > I don't know if this is the problem, but Vista has strict rules
          like UNIX
          > about writing to the Program Files area. As a work around to make
          Vista
          > seem compatible with older programs, Vista uses Virtual Store which
          is in
          > the USER area. The easiest way to find the file related to a
          program that
          > violates this rule is to go to the folder with the program in it.
          At the
          > top of the file listing window is a button labeled "compatibility
          files" or
          > something similar. Click on that button and it will take you to
          the folder
          > with the files. That may be why it does not seem to commit it to
          disk. I
          > don't run Bandmaster, but this may help you resolve the problem.
          >

          > 73,
          >
          > John

          You're quite right - the Bandmaster config file is there in the
          compatibility files area - that would explain why my attempts at
          manually updating were failing - till I set the program to run with
          administrative rights. As separately reported, the same bug seems to
          exist in 1.41 under XP, so it cannot be a Vista problem - sure Alex
          will fix it soon - he is usually responsive...

          Martin (G8FXC)