Re: Bandmaster bug under Vista?

  • martinbradford2001
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2008
      at risk of following up my own message... the problem seems to be
      related to bandmaster needing administrator priviledges - I just tryed
      playing with the windows compatibility settings and, if I set it to run
      with administrative rights, it does at least action manual changes I
      make to the configuration file - without admin rights, it seemed to
      ignore any changes I made to the config file. Still bombs with access
      violation if I try to change filter settings from the menu option...

      Martin
    • John T. Fleming
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2008
        Martin,

        I don't know if this is the problem, but Vista has strict rules like UNIX
        about writing to the Program Files area. As a work around to make Vista
        seem compatible with older programs, Vista uses Virtual Store which is in
        the USER area. The easiest way to find the file related to a program that
        violates this rule is to go to the folder with the program in it. At the
        top of the file listing window is a button labeled "compatibility files" or
        something similar. Click on that button and it will take you to the folder
        with the files. That may be why it does not seem to commit it to disk. I
        don't run Bandmaster, but this may help you resolve the problem.

        73,

        John

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 10, 2008
          It's not just Vista. I run XP pro service pack 3 I recently upgraded
          to Bamd Master 1.41 and now have the same problem.
          Bob G1BCZ

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "John T. Fleming" <john@...>
          wrote:

          > Martin,
          >

          > I don't know if this is the problem, but Vista has strict rules
          like UNIX
          > about writing to the Program Files area. As a work around to make
          Vista
          > seem compatible with older programs, Vista uses Virtual Store which
          is in
          > the USER area. The easiest way to find the file related to a
          program that
          > violates this rule is to go to the folder with the program in it.
          At the
          > top of the file listing window is a button labeled "compatibility
          files" or
          > something similar. Click on that button and it will take you to
          the folder
          > with the files. That may be why it does not seem to commit it to
          disk. I
          > don't run Bandmaster, but this may help you resolve the problem.
          >

          > 73,
          >
          > John
          >

          > _____

        • martinbradford2001
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 11, 2008
            wrote:

            > Martin,
            >

            > I don't know if this is the problem, but Vista has strict rules
            like UNIX
            > about writing to the Program Files area. As a work around to make
            Vista
            > seem compatible with older programs, Vista uses Virtual Store which
            is in
            > the USER area. The easiest way to find the file related to a
            program that
            > violates this rule is to go to the folder with the program in it.
            At the
            > top of the file listing window is a button labeled "compatibility
            files" or
            > something similar. Click on that button and it will take you to
            the folder
            > with the files. That may be why it does not seem to commit it to
            disk. I
            > don't run Bandmaster, but this may help you resolve the problem.
            >

            > 73,
            >
            > John

            You're quite right - the Bandmaster config file is there in the
            compatibility files area - that would explain why my attempts at
            manually updating were failing - till I set the program to run with
            administrative rights. As separately reported, the same bug seems to
            exist in 1.41 under XP, so it cannot be a Vista problem - sure Alex
            will fix it soon - he is usually responsive...

            Martin (G8FXC)