Bandmaster bug under Vista?

  • martinbradford2001
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2008
      Hi there,

      just migrated to a new PC which has Vista Home Premium edition loaded.
      Most things seem to be working OK except for trying to create new
      bandmaster filters - or edit existing ones. I'm trying to set the "Only
      spotted by neighbours" flag and it always reports an access violation
      when I press OK. The edit actually has been made, but not committed to
      disk - if I close and restart bandmaster, I'm back to the original
      configuration. I'm running V1.41 and it's on a fully patched Vista -
      anybody seen the same symptoms?

      Martin (G8FXC)
    • martinbradford2001
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2008
        at risk of following up my own message... the problem seems to be
        related to bandmaster needing administrator priviledges - I just tryed
        playing with the windows compatibility settings and, if I set it to run
        with administrative rights, it does at least action manual changes I
        make to the configuration file - without admin rights, it seemed to
        ignore any changes I made to the config file. Still bombs with access
        violation if I try to change filter settings from the menu option...

        Martin
      • John T. Fleming
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2008
          Martin,

          I don't know if this is the problem, but Vista has strict rules like UNIX
          about writing to the Program Files area. As a work around to make Vista
          seem compatible with older programs, Vista uses Virtual Store which is in
          the USER area. The easiest way to find the file related to a program that
          violates this rule is to go to the folder with the program in it. At the
          top of the file listing window is a button labeled "compatibility files" or
          something similar. Click on that button and it will take you to the folder
          with the files. That may be why it does not seem to commit it to disk. I
          don't run Bandmaster, but this may help you resolve the problem.

          73,

          John

          _____

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 10, 2008
            It's not just Vista. I run XP pro service pack 3 I recently upgraded
            to Bamd Master 1.41 and now have the same problem.
            Bob G1BCZ

            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "John T. Fleming" <john@...>
            wrote:

            > Martin,
            >

            > I don't know if this is the problem, but Vista has strict rules
            like UNIX
            > about writing to the Program Files area. As a work around to make
            Vista
            > seem compatible with older programs, Vista uses Virtual Store which
            is in
            > the USER area. The easiest way to find the file related to a
            program that
            > violates this rule is to go to the folder with the program in it.
            At the
            > top of the file listing window is a button labeled "compatibility
            files" or
            > something similar. Click on that button and it will take you to
            the folder
            > with the files. That may be why it does not seem to commit it to
            disk. I
            > don't run Bandmaster, but this may help you resolve the problem.
            >

            > 73,
            >
            > John
            >

            > _____

          • martinbradford2001
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 11, 2008
              wrote:

              > Martin,
              >

              > I don't know if this is the problem, but Vista has strict rules
              like UNIX
              > about writing to the Program Files area. As a work around to make
              Vista
              > seem compatible with older programs, Vista uses Virtual Store which
              is in
              > the USER area. The easiest way to find the file related to a
              program that
              > violates this rule is to go to the folder with the program in it.
              At the
              > top of the file listing window is a button labeled "compatibility
              files" or
              > something similar. Click on that button and it will take you to
              the folder
              > with the files. That may be why it does not seem to commit it to
              disk. I
              > don't run Bandmaster, but this may help you resolve the problem.
              >

              > 73,
              >
              > John

              You're quite right - the Bandmaster config file is there in the
              compatibility files area - that would explain why my attempts at
              manually updating were failing - till I set the program to run with
              administrative rights. As separately reported, the same bug seems to
              exist in 1.41 under XP, so it cannot be a Vista problem - sure Alex
              will fix it soon - he is usually responsive...

              Martin (G8FXC)