[dxatlas] Re: Morse Runner

  • f6irf
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 22, 2004
      Hi Alex,
      Think that it all depends if you are a kind of keyboard "Clapton"
      (God!), or if you type like a monkey (me !)... but for the second
      category, it sure helps compensate typing slowlyness.

      Btw Forgot to mention some error message which appear from time to
      time, but can't remember exactly in which circumstances... so need to
      test again (someone else probably reported it already).

      Anyway again thanks for the hours of fun already provided...
      Patrick

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@d...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Patrick,
      >
      > Thank you for the suggestions. My to-do list is already two pages
      long, and
      > keeps growing. I did not realize that so many people used callsign
      > completion when sending. Personally I think this is a bad habit and
      should
      > be avoided, but since most users want it, I will see if I can
      implement this
      > function.
      >
      > 73 Alex VE3NEA
      >

      > > Alex
      > > Many thanks for releasing Morse-runner...
      > > I have been a PED-freak for years, and it's really nice to have
      > > something running under XP, which emulates modern contest
      software.
      > > Sound is great and flutter / fading really realistics....
      > > A few remarks/suggestions, after having spent quite a few hours
      with
      > > it along the weekend:
      > >
      > > 1- the main problem I face with MR is the lack of "type ahead
      > > buffer": this is implemented in all major contest software since
      CT,
      > > and it is one of the main tip to improve pileup rate... intensive
      > > training with morse-runner is a bit "counter-productive" in this
      > > aspect.
      > >
      > > 2- The ESM mode behavior is not N1MM-like (not even WL-like)-
      Don't
      > > like the cursor auto-jumping in report field when "enter" is
      pressed -
      > > In my opinion field change should happen only with spacebar.
      (this is
      > > linked to a/m point - it should be possible to finish typing the
      > > call, while the call is already transmitted - meaning you have
      > > pressed enter)
      > >
      > > 3- In major contest software which implement ESM, the message sent
      > > depends on cursor position and if the field is empty or not - it
      is
      > > not always the case with morse-runner (ie when you erase a call:
      the
      > > the cursor in call field)
      > >
      > > 4- Though ctrl-W also works in N1MM, I do prefer alt-W... would be
      > > good to also have F11 (ie for CT, WL and Wintest users). In any
      case
      > > alt-W should reset ESM message (as mentionned above)
      > >
      > > 5- The score obtained depends for a part on a "luck" factor (the
      WPX
      > > multipliers)- Think that the PED notation was better, as the
      points
      > > were given in relation with the call complexity: ie VP8/SM7OQO
      would
      > > give far more points than P3F or D4B. On top of that the UBN
      notation
      > > was applied (3 QSO's penalty for a "Bad" ), which is also a good
      > > point for training (ie you don't log a call if you are not 100%
      sure)

      > > 6- The activity "setting" progression is not "smooth" enough - ie
      > > going from 2 to 3 makes a huge difference (to make a score 2 is
      > > almost the only position, as the pile becomes too heavy on 3)
      > >
      > > 7- When setting a keying-speed to 36 for example, I get the
      > > impression that the average of stations replying is somewhat above
      > > 36, and many stations far above this speed (ie >50)
      > >
      > > 8- Would be nice to have real time rate-meter -ie 10 QSO rate and
      > > hour-rate
      > >
      > > 9- Think you need to differenciate the competition mode, from the
      > > training mode:
      > > a-In competition mode the master.dta should be locked (or content
      > > checked ) - otherwise cheating is too easy and the high score
      table
      > > meaningless ;-)
      > > b-In training mode, it should be possible to enter also the given
      > > report in the call DB - this would allow to emulate major contests
      > > like CQWW (waz) or ARRLDX(state for non-US stations)
      > >
      > > 10- bad report is just theoretical - never got anything but 5NN -
      > > dupe also (in any case if you implement dupe, you need an
      indication
      > > that's a dupe before logging ). Anyway as no penalty is associated
      > > with dupes, it is a non-issue...
      > >
      > > 11- Think too many "lids" and no way to correct logged report
      (when
      > > you are too fast)-for ex. would be nice to have the N1MM ctrl-Q
      > > function emulated (calls back last logged QSO in entry windows).
      > >
      > > 12- for the fun - would be nice to have (sorry once more - like in
      > > PED-) a few non-computer keyed stations (i.e bug-vibro-double
      contact)
      > > and a few old-rig C or D signals... (piou piou piou
      piiioooouuu...)

      > > 13- Using narrow bandwidth - ie 200hz- just make handling the pile
      > > more difficult (as the same number of station is within 200hz
      rather
      > > than within 600). Think to make it more realistic, you need
      stations
      > > to be spread always on the same bandwith - let say +/-300 - and a
      RIT
      > > function to be implemented....
      > >
      > > 14- making sure a call is correct is a bit too easy: sends the
      call
      > > and the report -if the "guy" comes back with NR only you are sure
      you
      > > are right - if the "guy" comes back with call+NR you are sure you
      are
      > > wrong ...
      > >
      > > 15- Finaly - but this one may not be that easy to implement -
      would
      > > be great to have signal strength and quality function of the "home
      > > call" versus "distant call" - ie for a EU station having US west-
      > > coast stations sounding different from east-coast...
      > >
      > > OK - already makes quite a few point ! If I had to keep only one
      it
      > > would obviously be the -1- above
      > >
      > > Best regards- Patrick
      > > F6IRF
      > >
      > > PS: also take this opportunity to thank you for "hamcap" - was a
      > > ioncap user, but hamcap really makes the things far simpler and
      > > usable during SO-operation !
    • garyk9gs
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 24, 2004
        Hello Alex,

        I was talking to several others in my DX club that also mentioned the
        same thing. I think that they were all using WIN98SE.

        I need to check at the office but I don't think I have the clicking
        problem on a laptop running WIN 200 Pro.

        -73

        Gary K9GS