Re: [dxatlas] Re: Looking for a few CW Skimmer users willing to test integration ...

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
      Ah, synergistic forces emerge the winner again! Now if we can just
      import some of that technique to Washington! Just enjoy the smile, let's
      not get into politics over this one. However, nice to see the teamwork
      emerge over the past few days.

      Bruce, K2BET
      -----------------------

      Pete Smith wrote:

      > At 10:03 PM 11/20/2008, wd5eae wrote:
      > >Then there is collaboration which is often productive. It would have
      > >been more productive to contact Felipe to see if he could work with
      > >Felipe before deciding to go his own route.
      >
      > I think we can relax, guys. Philip and Felipe (what are the odds on
      > that?)
      > are discussing collaboration even as we speak. I doubt Philip was even
      > aware of http://skimmer. dxwatch.com <http://skimmer.dxwatch.com> when
      > he set about building his
      > interface software. I know it only took Felipe about a week to get his
      > aggregator running.

      > signature database 3630 (20081121) __________

      > http://www.eset.com
    • Adam Fast
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
        > I don't have that mentality and your argument isn't the point at all.
        > The examples you used all provided added functionality or a new and
        > arguably better way of doing something.
        >
        > I don't see that Philip's idea of running TWO clients is an
        > improvement, nor do I see that his data aggregation adds anything
        > that we don't already have. What it does do is split a single data
        > stream into two disparate streams requiring another IP connection
        > and, likely, another parsing routine, and for what advancement?

        Understood. I guess the main point I was making is you never know when
        something's "done". It may be launched with a little now, more to come
        later.

        However, communication / data sharing between everybody will benefit
        us all. Awesome to see the ham community so willing to share and
        experiment together! (I write / release stuff under BSD, so I guess
        that bleeds through to other thinking too) I'll shut up now :)

        Adam
      • Adam Fast
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
          > This already exists - WintelnetX by K1TTT. Intelligently merges multiple
          > telnet data streams into one output for connection to any telnet
          > client. Freeware, at www.k1ttt.net

          Pete,

          That's great, thanks for the pointer - I will definitely experiment
          with it! (Open source, too, which is even better)

          Adam
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
            Adam et al, I don't know if you fellows are members of the Yahoo
            Softrock40 group but there is an excellent example of synergy and
            International teamwork in things electronic. The core of the group seems
            to be a dozen or so very knowledgeable and creative tech and engineers
            scattered among the continents who over the past couple of years have
            each made major contributions to the development of the very functional
            and inexpensive, Softrock SDR receivers, transceivers and software. They
            have come from a very rudimentary but functional design of a one band
            receiver to a most recently developed beta version of a fully
            operational general coverage receiver as well as one watt, all band
            transceiver, both of which are now being beta tested for VHF and UHF
            coverage with digital band switching, USB controlled, continuous tuning
            VFO with full mode, CW paddle and PPT capability. All of these features
            have been posited and developed a step at a time by one or more of the
            individuals working in consort with each other. It is a wonderful
            process to watch... almost as wonderful as the end product is to behold
            and to play with. I expect your software projects will morph into
            something similar at some point. Thanks for all of your efforts at bring
            that time, process and benefits closer to the rest of us.

            73,

            Bruce, K2BET
            ---------------------------

            Adam Fast wrote:

            > > I don't have that mentality and your argument isn't the point at all.
            > > The examples you used all provided added functionality or a new and
            > > arguably better way of doing something.
            > >
            > > I don't see that Philip's idea of running TWO clients is an
            > > improvement, nor do I see that his data aggregation adds anything
            > > that we don't already have. What it does do is split a single data
            > > stream into two disparate streams requiring another IP connection
            > > and, likely, another parsing routine, and for what advancement?
            >
            > Understood. I guess the main point I was making is you never know when
            > something's "done". It may be launched with a little now, more to come
            > later.
            >
            > However, communication / data sharing between everybody will benefit
            > us all. Awesome to see the ham community so willing to share and
            > experiment together! (I write / release stuff under BSD, so I guess
            > that bleeds through to other thinking too) I'll shut up now :)
            >
            > Adam

            > signature database 3631 (20081121) __________

            > http://www.eset.com
          • wd5eae
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
              Pete,

              > I think we can relax, guys.

              Agreed and sorry for the "off topic" post but I felt Adam's response
              required me to elaborate on why I thought Philip should withdraw his
              client. We'll all be the winners by Philip and Felipe pulling in the
              same direction.

              73,

              Stephen