Re: [dxatlas] Looking for a few CW Skimmer users willing to test integration ...

  • philipjsg
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 20, 2008
      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Fast" <adamfast@...> wrote:

      > Philip, please continue your work!
      >

      > PS Philip, I've been thinking about a collaborative "client" with the
      > "intelligence" / ability to connect to multiple upstream systems
      > (dxwatch, your site, mine, and anybody else who wants the data)
      > universally...make it like an FTP client - hostname, port, etc. and a
      > "connect automatically" flag. That way users who want to run multiple
      > could do so with only one client. I've also got another script that
      > handles automated QSYs according to a schedule...there's a set of
      > screen-based macros I found but its keybindings made typing emails and
      > general use of the machine /very/ annoying. Perhaps that same
      > "technology" could go in this universal app? If you're interested,
      > drop me something privately. I write in whatever gets the job done,
      > with varying degrees of proficiency based on the language.

      I'm talking with the dxwatch people to see if there is a reasonable
      way that we can just exchange data behind the scenes so that people
      only need to run a single client.

      Indeed another option would be to have a single client that could
      report to multiple places -- or probably better some sort of demuxing
      server than would fan out the spots to whoever wanted them.

      Philip
    • wd5eae
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 20, 2008
        Philip,

        1) Felipe can provide you with certain URLs that will allow you to
        query his database. You get XML records back. The system works in a
        way that prevents the repeating of duplicated data so it is
        efficient. This will provide your system with the datastream you
        need. Felipe's client-reporter can continue to aggregate the data.
        Since the data coming out of CW Skimmer is fixed there isn't room or
        need for innovation on the client-reporter side of the equation.

        2) I know your system provides for quering on a callsign. I would ask
        that you do as Felipe has done and also give an URL that gives XML
        feeds based on some sort of ID so that spotter clients can query your
        system. It is just my opinion but if I am going to run a client for
        someone to give their system data, they should be willing to
        (reasonably) share the aggregated data.

        3) This allows any interested parties who want to innovate to consume
        and display the data in whatever revolutionary "digg" way they want
        to.

        Thank you for the work you've done with the PSK system.

        73,

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
          At 09:23 PM 11/20/2008, Adam Fast wrote:
          >PS Philip, I've been thinking about a collaborative "client" with the
          >"intelligence" / ability to connect to multiple upstream systems
          >(dxwatch, your site, mine, and anybody else who wants the data)
          >universally...make it like an FTP client - hostname, port, etc. and a
          >"connect automatically" flag. That way users who want to run multiple
          >could do so with only one client.

          This already exists - WintelnetX by K1TTT. Intelligently merges multiple
          telnet data streams into one output for connection to any telnet
          client. Freeware, at www.k1ttt.net

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
            At 10:03 PM 11/20/2008, wd5eae wrote:
            >Then there is collaboration which is often productive. It would have
            >been more productive to contact Felipe to see if he could work with
            >Felipe before deciding to go his own route.

            I think we can relax, guys. Philip and Felipe (what are the odds on that?)
            are discussing collaboration even as we speak. I doubt Philip was even
            aware of http://skimmer.dxwatch.com when he set about building his
            interface software. I know it only took Felipe about a week to get his
            aggregator running.

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
              Ah, synergistic forces emerge the winner again! Now if we can just
              import some of that technique to Washington! Just enjoy the smile, let's
              not get into politics over this one. However, nice to see the teamwork
              emerge over the past few days.

              Bruce, K2BET
              -----------------------

              Pete Smith wrote:

              > At 10:03 PM 11/20/2008, wd5eae wrote:
              > >Then there is collaboration which is often productive. It would have
              > >been more productive to contact Felipe to see if he could work with
              > >Felipe before deciding to go his own route.
              >
              > I think we can relax, guys. Philip and Felipe (what are the odds on
              > that?)
              > are discussing collaboration even as we speak. I doubt Philip was even
              > aware of http://skimmer. dxwatch.com <http://skimmer.dxwatch.com> when
              > he set about building his
              > interface software. I know it only took Felipe about a week to get his
              > aggregator running.

              > signature database 3630 (20081121) __________

              > http://www.eset.com
            • Adam Fast
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                > I don't have that mentality and your argument isn't the point at all.
                > The examples you used all provided added functionality or a new and
                > arguably better way of doing something.
                >
                > I don't see that Philip's idea of running TWO clients is an
                > improvement, nor do I see that his data aggregation adds anything
                > that we don't already have. What it does do is split a single data
                > stream into two disparate streams requiring another IP connection
                > and, likely, another parsing routine, and for what advancement?

                Understood. I guess the main point I was making is you never know when
                something's "done". It may be launched with a little now, more to come
                later.

                However, communication / data sharing between everybody will benefit
                us all. Awesome to see the ham community so willing to share and
                experiment together! (I write / release stuff under BSD, so I guess
                that bleeds through to other thinking too) I'll shut up now :)

                Adam
              • Adam Fast
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                  > This already exists - WintelnetX by K1TTT. Intelligently merges multiple
                  > telnet data streams into one output for connection to any telnet
                  > client. Freeware, at www.k1ttt.net

                  Pete,

                  That's great, thanks for the pointer - I will definitely experiment
                  with it! (Open source, too, which is even better)

                  Adam
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                    Adam et al, I don't know if you fellows are members of the Yahoo
                    Softrock40 group but there is an excellent example of synergy and
                    International teamwork in things electronic. The core of the group seems
                    to be a dozen or so very knowledgeable and creative tech and engineers
                    scattered among the continents who over the past couple of years have
                    each made major contributions to the development of the very functional
                    and inexpensive, Softrock SDR receivers, transceivers and software. They
                    have come from a very rudimentary but functional design of a one band
                    receiver to a most recently developed beta version of a fully
                    operational general coverage receiver as well as one watt, all band
                    transceiver, both of which are now being beta tested for VHF and UHF
                    coverage with digital band switching, USB controlled, continuous tuning
                    VFO with full mode, CW paddle and PPT capability. All of these features
                    have been posited and developed a step at a time by one or more of the
                    individuals working in consort with each other. It is a wonderful
                    process to watch... almost as wonderful as the end product is to behold
                    and to play with. I expect your software projects will morph into
                    something similar at some point. Thanks for all of your efforts at bring
                    that time, process and benefits closer to the rest of us.

                    73,

                    Bruce, K2BET
                    ---------------------------

                    Adam Fast wrote:

                    > > I don't have that mentality and your argument isn't the point at all.
                    > > The examples you used all provided added functionality or a new and
                    > > arguably better way of doing something.
                    > >
                    > > I don't see that Philip's idea of running TWO clients is an
                    > > improvement, nor do I see that his data aggregation adds anything
                    > > that we don't already have. What it does do is split a single data
                    > > stream into two disparate streams requiring another IP connection
                    > > and, likely, another parsing routine, and for what advancement?
                    >
                    > Understood. I guess the main point I was making is you never know when
                    > something's "done". It may be launched with a little now, more to come
                    > later.
                    >
                    > However, communication / data sharing between everybody will benefit
                    > us all. Awesome to see the ham community so willing to share and
                    > experiment together! (I write / release stuff under BSD, so I guess
                    > that bleeds through to other thinking too) I'll shut up now :)
                    >
                    > Adam

                    > signature database 3631 (20081121) __________

                    > http://www.eset.com
                  • wd5eae
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                      Pete,

                      > I think we can relax, guys.

                      Agreed and sorry for the "off topic" post but I felt Adam's response
                      required me to elaborate on why I thought Philip should withdraw his
                      client. We'll all be the winners by Philip and Felipe pulling in the
                      same direction.

                      73,

                      Stephen