Re: Looking for a few CW Skimmer users willing to test integration ...

  • wd5eae
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 20, 2008
      Adam,

      Let's have a little clarity Adam. I like ideas. I also like clarity.

      > Nothing on the internet should be a "well, someone else did it first
      > so I can't". With that mentality there'd be no Digg (slashdot

      I don't have that mentality and your argument isn't the point at all.
      The examples you used all provided added functionality or a new and
      arguably better way of doing something.

      I don't see that Philip's idea of running TWO clients is an
      improvement, nor do I see that his data aggregation adds anything
      that we don't already have. What it does do is split a single data
      stream into two disparate streams requiring another IP connection
      and, likely, another parsing routine, and for what advancement?

      Then there is collaboration which is often productive. It would have
      been more productive to contact Felipe to see if he could work with
      Felipe before deciding to go his own route. If nothing else, Felipe's
      system could continue to aggregate through a single client and
      Philip's software could read that aggregated stream into his
      software. Then, Philip and everyone else could count on having a
      single stream to deal with. I have sent multiple requests to Felipe
      and found him extremely cooperative in taking and implementing
      suggestions.

      Finally, I have written my own spotting client as well. It
      dynamically queries the Ham Radio Deluxe database giving me a lot of
      information that other clients don't provide. But I wouldn't be too
      anxious to add another data stream to the ham community unless it was
      original and a real advancement to what's available.

      I suspect most hams would prefer to check as few Spotter windows as
      they have to, particularly when there is no advantage to splitting
      the data stream.

      Stephen
      www.wd5eae.org

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Fast" <adamfast@...>
    • philipjsg
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 20, 2008
        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Fast" <adamfast@...> wrote:

        > Philip, please continue your work!
        >

        > PS Philip, I've been thinking about a collaborative "client" with the
        > "intelligence" / ability to connect to multiple upstream systems
        > (dxwatch, your site, mine, and anybody else who wants the data)
        > universally...make it like an FTP client - hostname, port, etc. and a
        > "connect automatically" flag. That way users who want to run multiple
        > could do so with only one client. I've also got another script that
        > handles automated QSYs according to a schedule...there's a set of
        > screen-based macros I found but its keybindings made typing emails and
        > general use of the machine /very/ annoying. Perhaps that same
        > "technology" could go in this universal app? If you're interested,
        > drop me something privately. I write in whatever gets the job done,
        > with varying degrees of proficiency based on the language.

        I'm talking with the dxwatch people to see if there is a reasonable
        way that we can just exchange data behind the scenes so that people
        only need to run a single client.

        Indeed another option would be to have a single client that could
        report to multiple places -- or probably better some sort of demuxing
        server than would fan out the spots to whoever wanted them.

        Philip
      • wd5eae
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 20, 2008
          Philip,

          1) Felipe can provide you with certain URLs that will allow you to
          query his database. You get XML records back. The system works in a
          way that prevents the repeating of duplicated data so it is
          efficient. This will provide your system with the datastream you
          need. Felipe's client-reporter can continue to aggregate the data.
          Since the data coming out of CW Skimmer is fixed there isn't room or
          need for innovation on the client-reporter side of the equation.

          2) I know your system provides for quering on a callsign. I would ask
          that you do as Felipe has done and also give an URL that gives XML
          feeds based on some sort of ID so that spotter clients can query your
          system. It is just my opinion but if I am going to run a client for
          someone to give their system data, they should be willing to
          (reasonably) share the aggregated data.

          3) This allows any interested parties who want to innovate to consume
          and display the data in whatever revolutionary "digg" way they want
          to.

          Thank you for the work you've done with the PSK system.

          73,

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
            At 09:23 PM 11/20/2008, Adam Fast wrote:
            >PS Philip, I've been thinking about a collaborative "client" with the
            >"intelligence" / ability to connect to multiple upstream systems
            >(dxwatch, your site, mine, and anybody else who wants the data)
            >universally...make it like an FTP client - hostname, port, etc. and a
            >"connect automatically" flag. That way users who want to run multiple
            >could do so with only one client.

            This already exists - WintelnetX by K1TTT. Intelligently merges multiple
            telnet data streams into one output for connection to any telnet
            client. Freeware, at www.k1ttt.net

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
              At 10:03 PM 11/20/2008, wd5eae wrote:
              >Then there is collaboration which is often productive. It would have
              >been more productive to contact Felipe to see if he could work with
              >Felipe before deciding to go his own route.

              I think we can relax, guys. Philip and Felipe (what are the odds on that?)
              are discussing collaboration even as we speak. I doubt Philip was even
              aware of http://skimmer.dxwatch.com when he set about building his
              interface software. I know it only took Felipe about a week to get his
              aggregator running.

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                Ah, synergistic forces emerge the winner again! Now if we can just
                import some of that technique to Washington! Just enjoy the smile, let's
                not get into politics over this one. However, nice to see the teamwork
                emerge over the past few days.

                Bruce, K2BET
                -----------------------

                Pete Smith wrote:

                > At 10:03 PM 11/20/2008, wd5eae wrote:
                > >Then there is collaboration which is often productive. It would have
                > >been more productive to contact Felipe to see if he could work with
                > >Felipe before deciding to go his own route.
                >
                > I think we can relax, guys. Philip and Felipe (what are the odds on
                > that?)
                > are discussing collaboration even as we speak. I doubt Philip was even
                > aware of http://skimmer. dxwatch.com <http://skimmer.dxwatch.com> when
                > he set about building his
                > interface software. I know it only took Felipe about a week to get his
                > aggregator running.

                > signature database 3630 (20081121) __________

                > http://www.eset.com
              • Adam Fast
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                  > I don't have that mentality and your argument isn't the point at all.
                  > The examples you used all provided added functionality or a new and
                  > arguably better way of doing something.
                  >
                  > I don't see that Philip's idea of running TWO clients is an
                  > improvement, nor do I see that his data aggregation adds anything
                  > that we don't already have. What it does do is split a single data
                  > stream into two disparate streams requiring another IP connection
                  > and, likely, another parsing routine, and for what advancement?

                  Understood. I guess the main point I was making is you never know when
                  something's "done". It may be launched with a little now, more to come
                  later.

                  However, communication / data sharing between everybody will benefit
                  us all. Awesome to see the ham community so willing to share and
                  experiment together! (I write / release stuff under BSD, so I guess
                  that bleeds through to other thinking too) I'll shut up now :)

                  Adam
                • Adam Fast
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                    > This already exists - WintelnetX by K1TTT. Intelligently merges multiple
                    > telnet data streams into one output for connection to any telnet
                    > client. Freeware, at www.k1ttt.net

                    Pete,

                    That's great, thanks for the pointer - I will definitely experiment
                    with it! (Open source, too, which is even better)

                    Adam
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                      Adam et al, I don't know if you fellows are members of the Yahoo
                      Softrock40 group but there is an excellent example of synergy and
                      International teamwork in things electronic. The core of the group seems
                      to be a dozen or so very knowledgeable and creative tech and engineers
                      scattered among the continents who over the past couple of years have
                      each made major contributions to the development of the very functional
                      and inexpensive, Softrock SDR receivers, transceivers and software. They
                      have come from a very rudimentary but functional design of a one band
                      receiver to a most recently developed beta version of a fully
                      operational general coverage receiver as well as one watt, all band
                      transceiver, both of which are now being beta tested for VHF and UHF
                      coverage with digital band switching, USB controlled, continuous tuning
                      VFO with full mode, CW paddle and PPT capability. All of these features
                      have been posited and developed a step at a time by one or more of the
                      individuals working in consort with each other. It is a wonderful
                      process to watch... almost as wonderful as the end product is to behold
                      and to play with. I expect your software projects will morph into
                      something similar at some point. Thanks for all of your efforts at bring
                      that time, process and benefits closer to the rest of us.

                      73,

                      Bruce, K2BET
                      ---------------------------

                      Adam Fast wrote:

                      > > I don't have that mentality and your argument isn't the point at all.
                      > > The examples you used all provided added functionality or a new and
                      > > arguably better way of doing something.
                      > >
                      > > I don't see that Philip's idea of running TWO clients is an
                      > > improvement, nor do I see that his data aggregation adds anything
                      > > that we don't already have. What it does do is split a single data
                      > > stream into two disparate streams requiring another IP connection
                      > > and, likely, another parsing routine, and for what advancement?
                      >
                      > Understood. I guess the main point I was making is you never know when
                      > something's "done". It may be launched with a little now, more to come
                      > later.
                      >
                      > However, communication / data sharing between everybody will benefit
                      > us all. Awesome to see the ham community so willing to share and
                      > experiment together! (I write / release stuff under BSD, so I guess
                      > that bleeds through to other thinking too) I'll shut up now :)
                      >
                      > Adam

                      > signature database 3631 (20081121) __________

                      > http://www.eset.com
                    • wd5eae
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                        Pete,

                        > I think we can relax, guys.

                        Agreed and sorry for the "off topic" post but I felt Adam's response
                        required me to elaborate on why I thought Philip should withdraw his
                        client. We'll all be the winners by Philip and Felipe pulling in the
                        same direction.

                        73,

                        Stephen