Re: Faros + SDR

  • Dave Baxter
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 20, 2008
      Hi Alex...

      OK on that. I'm still trying to find my way round the group's file
      folders. Y was very slow yesterday, but I did managed to find and try
      the soundcard capability/benchmark software. Seems I have a half decent
      soundsystem, and quiet too, when it's input is grounded.

      Not found any downloads for the SDR software yet, other than (very) old
      releases, and Rocky of course.

      I plan on first getting one of the kits going firs, but it was mentioned
      that there is a multi band beta release/prototype kit about, (V9? That
      sounds more likely to be suitable for Faros use) but not found hide nor
      hair of that yet.

      Yes, manually soldering SMD parts can indeed be "Interesting"...

      One technique I use when needed (that I learnt from someone else) is to
      position the device on the board and hold it there with a spring loaded
      pin on top of the package. That then allows you to accurately position
      it so all it's legs sit on the tracks just fine.

      Then just "Flood solder" all the legs on each side, covering the lot!
      You need a good hot iron, with a largeish bit, say 4mm screwdriver type
      to do it quickly.

      Then use prefluxed desolder wick to remove 90% of what you just did.
      (Take care to observe static safe practices etc, if needed remove the
      desolder wick from the plastic carier.)

      Do both operations in quick succession, so you don't thermaly shock the
      thing too many times!

      That will then leave the devices pins soldered to the cirtuit board,
      with no shorts etc.

      I've done this several times that way now, and though messy at first, it
      results in a fairly good looking solder job. Clean up any flux residue
      with a cotton bud, and IPA (Iso Prop' Alcohol solvent, not beer!) or
      Meths.

      The only down side, is it's easier to mount SMD stuff first, then
      populate the rest of the board after, increasing the risk of damage to
      the SMD part if there is an uninteded discharge from something.

      With a bit of practice, it works very well, & I've not (yet) killed a
      chip doing it that way either.

      Cheers Alex.

      Dave G0WBX.

    • Dave Baxter
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 20, 2008
        Hehehe...

        Just figured I had joined the wrong SoftRock group [kgksdr] on Yahoo.
        Found the right one [SoftRock40] now. Funny thing is, I searched for
        "SoftRock40" and the SR40 group was not listed!

        Oh well, job done now.

        Dave.

        > 2a. Re: Faros + SDR
        > Posted by: "g7kse" g7kse@... g7kse
        > Date: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:18 am ((PST))
        >
        > Dave,
        >
        > I've got one of the kits through from Tony albeit short of
        > the CMOS bit. I must admit I took one look at it and thought
        > that the SMD's might be a bit beyond my 'splatter it with
        > solder' style. But it was specifically for trying to get it
        > to work with Faros.
        >
        > You can just pay Tony through Paypal and the kit is sent when
        > the parts are in.
        >
        > Alex
      • g7kse
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 21, 2008
          Theres a point where I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and
          start soldering. The I'll get my eyes lasered so i can see again!

          thanks for the advice though.

          I've got a v9.0 kit which I'm hoping to use. There are a few people
          who've got a seperate board for swithing centre frequencies but I'm
          thinking this might not be necssary if the centres are set to the
          ncdxf frequencies. I undertsand that even if a 48kHz soundcard is
          used then it will not be too hard to set it up.

          Alex