Looking for a few CW Skimmer users willing to test integration ...

  • philipjsg
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 18, 2008
      I run a website: http://pskreporter.info -- which has been, up to now,
      mostly about collecting automatic spots for PSK traffic. The client
      which does the collecting has been built into the DM780 panoramic
      receiver.

      One of the people inquired whether the same could be done for CW
      Skimmer, and the answer is (of course) yes.

      I now have a very simple beta client that can be run on windows and
      will connect to the telnet port on CW Skimmer and then forward the
      spots to the website where they can be viewed by anybody. There has
      come to be quite a contest to see who can generate the most spots in a
      single 24 hour period.... I suspect that a CW Skimmer user running
      with a Softrock or similar wideband receiver might well be in the running.

      Anyway, I'm looking for a few brave souls to volunteer to run this
      client (along with CW Skimmer 1.3) and provide some feedback -- both
      on the client, and on whether the whole thing is useful.

      The real time map can be seen at http://pskreporter.info/pskmap -- and
      yes, if the CW spotting takes off, I will change some of the URLs!

      Thanks

      Philip, N1DQ
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 18, 2008
        Apparently, I need you to send along one of your beta client files if I
        am understanding your message. I am using the Softrock V8.3 receiver
        with 96 KHz sampling. I have Skimmer set up and I am using PowerSDR as
        software for the radio.

        Bruce, K2BET (Michigan)
        -----------

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 19, 2008
          Hi Philip - Felipe, PY1NB has been running such a site for almost 6 months
          now. Check out http://skimmmer.dxwatch.com . I think we're doing exactly
          what you propose.

          73, Pete N4ZR

          At 10:18 PM 11/18/2008, you wrote:
          >I run a website: http://pskreporter.info -- which has been, up to now,
          >mostly about collecting automatic spots for PSK traffic. The client
          >which does the collecting has been built into the DM780 panoramic
          >receiver.
          >
          >One of the people inquired whether the same could be done for CW
          >Skimmer, and the answer is (of course) yes.
          >
          >I now have a very simple beta client that can be run on windows and
          >will connect to the telnet port on CW Skimmer and then forward the
          >spots to the website where they can be viewed by anybody. There has
          >come to be quite a contest to see who can generate the most spots in a
          >single 24 hour period.... I suspect that a CW Skimmer user running
          >with a Softrock or similar wideband receiver might well be in the running.
          >
          >Anyway, I'm looking for a few brave souls to volunteer to run this
          >client (along with CW Skimmer 1.3) and provide some feedback -- both
          >on the client, and on whether the whole thing is useful.
          >
          >The real time map can be seen at http://pskreporter.info/pskmap -- and
          >yes, if the CW spotting takes off, I will change some of the URLs!
          >
          >Thanks
          >
          >Philip, N1DQ

        • philipjsg
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 19, 2008

            > Hi Philip - Felipe, PY1NB has been running such a site for almost 6
            months
            > now. Check out http://skimmmer.dxwatch.com . I think we're doing
            exactly
            > what you propose.

            Yes -- it looks as though it is very similar. I will definitely reach
            out to him to see if I can integrate the same data rather than make
            people run two clients!

            Anyway, for anybody who cares, the client can be found at:

            http://pskreporter.info/CWReporter.msi

            It just needs your callsign and locator and away you go.....

            Philip
          • wd5eae
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 20, 2008
              Philip,

              > Anyway, for anybody who cares, the client can be found at:

              As there is already a site that performs this aggregating function
              for CW Skimmer it seems to me that withdrawing your client and
              pointing people to
              http://skimmmer.dxwatch.com
              would be a more productive and better long-term solution. As a
              consumer of aggregated data, I don't see how it serves anyone else's
              interest to have to check two different sites with disparate data
              formats.

              73,

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 20, 2008
                Dropped an 'm' in the URL to correct....
                Thanks.
                ---------------

                wd5eae wrote:

                > Philip,
                >
                > > Anyway, for anybody who cares, the client can be found at:
                >
                > As there is already a site that performs this aggregating function
                > for CW Skimmer it seems to me that withdrawing your client and
                > pointing people to
                > http://skimmer.dxwatch.com <http://skimmmer.dxwatch.com>
                > would be a more productive and better long-term solution. As a
                > consumer of aggregated data, I don't see how it serves anyone else's
                > interest to have to check two different sites with disparate data
                > formats.
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > Stephen
                >
                > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "philipjsg" <philip@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi Philip - Felipe, PY1NB has been running such a site for almost

                > signature database 3628 (20081120) __________

                > http://www.eset.com
              • Adam Fast
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 20, 2008
                  > As there is already a site that performs this aggregating function
                  > for CW Skimmer it seems to me that withdrawing your client and
                  > pointing people to
                  > http://skimmmer.dxwatch.com
                  > would be a more productive and better long-term solution. As a
                  > consumer of aggregated data, I don't see how it serves anyone else's
                  > interest to have to check two different sites with disparate data
                  > formats.

                  Stephen, please don't take this personally. It's merely a critique of
                  your ideas. (whoa! it's a flame!)

                  Philip, please continue your work!

                  Nothing on the internet should be a "well, someone else did it first
                  so I can't". With that mentality there'd be no Digg (slashdot already
                  existed - don't take that as a clue I read Digg, I sure don't), no
                  Google (altavista?) no Internet Explorer / Safari / Netscape / Firefox
                  (NCSA Mosaic), etc. Nothing in our lives would be the same if we lived
                  with that mentality. I wouldn't have a GPS, I'd be using NDBs (because
                  there would be no VOR, VORTAC (+DME) or even Loran!)

                  I run clients for both the pskreporter and dxwatch - and even my own!
                  and will continue to do so until I get bored with it. Mine's not
                  really shared with anyone but I'm playing with the technology/data and
                  building what I can, when I can, just to play with something "a little
                  different" than what I usually write.

                  It's ham radio - experiment with what you want to experiment with.

                  Well, that flame wasn't very big.

                  PS Philip, I've been thinking about a collaborative "client" with the
                  "intelligence" / ability to connect to multiple upstream systems
                  (dxwatch, your site, mine, and anybody else who wants the data)
                  universally...make it like an FTP client - hostname, port, etc. and a
                  "connect automatically" flag. That way users who want to run multiple
                  could do so with only one client. I've also got another script that
                  handles automated QSYs according to a schedule...there's a set of
                  screen-based macros I found but its keybindings made typing emails and
                  general use of the machine /very/ annoying. Perhaps that same
                  "technology" could go in this universal app? If you're interested,
                  drop me something privately. I write in whatever gets the job done,
                  with varying degrees of proficiency based on the language.

                  Adam
                  KC0YLK
                • wd5eae
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 20, 2008
                    Adam,

                    Let's have a little clarity Adam. I like ideas. I also like clarity.

                    > Nothing on the internet should be a "well, someone else did it first
                    > so I can't". With that mentality there'd be no Digg (slashdot

                    I don't have that mentality and your argument isn't the point at all.
                    The examples you used all provided added functionality or a new and
                    arguably better way of doing something.

                    I don't see that Philip's idea of running TWO clients is an
                    improvement, nor do I see that his data aggregation adds anything
                    that we don't already have. What it does do is split a single data
                    stream into two disparate streams requiring another IP connection
                    and, likely, another parsing routine, and for what advancement?

                    Then there is collaboration which is often productive. It would have
                    been more productive to contact Felipe to see if he could work with
                    Felipe before deciding to go his own route. If nothing else, Felipe's
                    system could continue to aggregate through a single client and
                    Philip's software could read that aggregated stream into his
                    software. Then, Philip and everyone else could count on having a
                    single stream to deal with. I have sent multiple requests to Felipe
                    and found him extremely cooperative in taking and implementing
                    suggestions.

                    Finally, I have written my own spotting client as well. It
                    dynamically queries the Ham Radio Deluxe database giving me a lot of
                    information that other clients don't provide. But I wouldn't be too
                    anxious to add another data stream to the ham community unless it was
                    original and a real advancement to what's available.

                    I suspect most hams would prefer to check as few Spotter windows as
                    they have to, particularly when there is no advantage to splitting
                    the data stream.

                    Stephen
                    www.wd5eae.org

                    --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Fast" <adamfast@...>
                  • philipjsg
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 20, 2008
                      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Fast" <adamfast@...> wrote:

                      > Philip, please continue your work!
                      >

                      > PS Philip, I've been thinking about a collaborative "client" with the
                      > "intelligence" / ability to connect to multiple upstream systems
                      > (dxwatch, your site, mine, and anybody else who wants the data)
                      > universally...make it like an FTP client - hostname, port, etc. and a
                      > "connect automatically" flag. That way users who want to run multiple
                      > could do so with only one client. I've also got another script that
                      > handles automated QSYs according to a schedule...there's a set of
                      > screen-based macros I found but its keybindings made typing emails and
                      > general use of the machine /very/ annoying. Perhaps that same
                      > "technology" could go in this universal app? If you're interested,
                      > drop me something privately. I write in whatever gets the job done,
                      > with varying degrees of proficiency based on the language.

                      I'm talking with the dxwatch people to see if there is a reasonable
                      way that we can just exchange data behind the scenes so that people
                      only need to run a single client.

                      Indeed another option would be to have a single client that could
                      report to multiple places -- or probably better some sort of demuxing
                      server than would fan out the spots to whoever wanted them.

                      Philip
                    • wd5eae
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 20, 2008
                        Philip,

                        1) Felipe can provide you with certain URLs that will allow you to
                        query his database. You get XML records back. The system works in a
                        way that prevents the repeating of duplicated data so it is
                        efficient. This will provide your system with the datastream you
                        need. Felipe's client-reporter can continue to aggregate the data.
                        Since the data coming out of CW Skimmer is fixed there isn't room or
                        need for innovation on the client-reporter side of the equation.

                        2) I know your system provides for quering on a callsign. I would ask
                        that you do as Felipe has done and also give an URL that gives XML
                        feeds based on some sort of ID so that spotter clients can query your
                        system. It is just my opinion but if I am going to run a client for
                        someone to give their system data, they should be willing to
                        (reasonably) share the aggregated data.

                        3) This allows any interested parties who want to innovate to consume
                        and display the data in whatever revolutionary "digg" way they want
                        to.

                        Thank you for the work you've done with the PSK system.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                          At 09:23 PM 11/20/2008, Adam Fast wrote:
                          >PS Philip, I've been thinking about a collaborative "client" with the
                          >"intelligence" / ability to connect to multiple upstream systems
                          >(dxwatch, your site, mine, and anybody else who wants the data)
                          >universally...make it like an FTP client - hostname, port, etc. and a
                          >"connect automatically" flag. That way users who want to run multiple
                          >could do so with only one client.

                          This already exists - WintelnetX by K1TTT. Intelligently merges multiple
                          telnet data streams into one output for connection to any telnet
                          client. Freeware, at www.k1ttt.net

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                            At 10:03 PM 11/20/2008, wd5eae wrote:
                            >Then there is collaboration which is often productive. It would have
                            >been more productive to contact Felipe to see if he could work with
                            >Felipe before deciding to go his own route.

                            I think we can relax, guys. Philip and Felipe (what are the odds on that?)
                            are discussing collaboration even as we speak. I doubt Philip was even
                            aware of http://skimmer.dxwatch.com when he set about building his
                            interface software. I know it only took Felipe about a week to get his
                            aggregator running.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                              Ah, synergistic forces emerge the winner again! Now if we can just
                              import some of that technique to Washington! Just enjoy the smile, let's
                              not get into politics over this one. However, nice to see the teamwork
                              emerge over the past few days.

                              Bruce, K2BET
                              -----------------------

                              Pete Smith wrote:

                              > At 10:03 PM 11/20/2008, wd5eae wrote:
                              > >Then there is collaboration which is often productive. It would have
                              > >been more productive to contact Felipe to see if he could work with
                              > >Felipe before deciding to go his own route.
                              >
                              > I think we can relax, guys. Philip and Felipe (what are the odds on
                              > that?)
                              > are discussing collaboration even as we speak. I doubt Philip was even
                              > aware of http://skimmer. dxwatch.com <http://skimmer.dxwatch.com> when
                              > he set about building his
                              > interface software. I know it only took Felipe about a week to get his
                              > aggregator running.

                              > signature database 3630 (20081121) __________

                              > http://www.eset.com
                            • Adam Fast
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                                > I don't have that mentality and your argument isn't the point at all.
                                > The examples you used all provided added functionality or a new and
                                > arguably better way of doing something.
                                >
                                > I don't see that Philip's idea of running TWO clients is an
                                > improvement, nor do I see that his data aggregation adds anything
                                > that we don't already have. What it does do is split a single data
                                > stream into two disparate streams requiring another IP connection
                                > and, likely, another parsing routine, and for what advancement?

                                Understood. I guess the main point I was making is you never know when
                                something's "done". It may be launched with a little now, more to come
                                later.

                                However, communication / data sharing between everybody will benefit
                                us all. Awesome to see the ham community so willing to share and
                                experiment together! (I write / release stuff under BSD, so I guess
                                that bleeds through to other thinking too) I'll shut up now :)

                                Adam
                              • Adam Fast
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                                  > This already exists - WintelnetX by K1TTT. Intelligently merges multiple
                                  > telnet data streams into one output for connection to any telnet
                                  > client. Freeware, at www.k1ttt.net

                                  Pete,

                                  That's great, thanks for the pointer - I will definitely experiment
                                  with it! (Open source, too, which is even better)

                                  Adam
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                                    Adam et al, I don't know if you fellows are members of the Yahoo
                                    Softrock40 group but there is an excellent example of synergy and
                                    International teamwork in things electronic. The core of the group seems
                                    to be a dozen or so very knowledgeable and creative tech and engineers
                                    scattered among the continents who over the past couple of years have
                                    each made major contributions to the development of the very functional
                                    and inexpensive, Softrock SDR receivers, transceivers and software. They
                                    have come from a very rudimentary but functional design of a one band
                                    receiver to a most recently developed beta version of a fully
                                    operational general coverage receiver as well as one watt, all band
                                    transceiver, both of which are now being beta tested for VHF and UHF
                                    coverage with digital band switching, USB controlled, continuous tuning
                                    VFO with full mode, CW paddle and PPT capability. All of these features
                                    have been posited and developed a step at a time by one or more of the
                                    individuals working in consort with each other. It is a wonderful
                                    process to watch... almost as wonderful as the end product is to behold
                                    and to play with. I expect your software projects will morph into
                                    something similar at some point. Thanks for all of your efforts at bring
                                    that time, process and benefits closer to the rest of us.

                                    73,

                                    Bruce, K2BET
                                    ---------------------------

                                    Adam Fast wrote:

                                    > > I don't have that mentality and your argument isn't the point at all.
                                    > > The examples you used all provided added functionality or a new and
                                    > > arguably better way of doing something.
                                    > >
                                    > > I don't see that Philip's idea of running TWO clients is an
                                    > > improvement, nor do I see that his data aggregation adds anything
                                    > > that we don't already have. What it does do is split a single data
                                    > > stream into two disparate streams requiring another IP connection
                                    > > and, likely, another parsing routine, and for what advancement?
                                    >
                                    > Understood. I guess the main point I was making is you never know when
                                    > something's "done". It may be launched with a little now, more to come
                                    > later.
                                    >
                                    > However, communication / data sharing between everybody will benefit
                                    > us all. Awesome to see the ham community so willing to share and
                                    > experiment together! (I write / release stuff under BSD, so I guess
                                    > that bleeds through to other thinking too) I'll shut up now :)
                                    >
                                    > Adam

                                    > signature database 3631 (20081121) __________

                                    > http://www.eset.com
                                  • wd5eae
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                                      Pete,

                                      > I think we can relax, guys.

                                      Agreed and sorry for the "off topic" post but I felt Adam's response
                                      required me to elaborate on why I thought Philip should withdraw his
                                      client. We'll all be the winners by Philip and Felipe pulling in the
                                      same direction.

                                      73,

                                      Stephen