More help on testing

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 18, 2008
      I would really appreciate some more help on trying to replicate the CPU
      consumption problem with Skimmer. If you are running an SDR-IQ with
      Skimmer, or a SoftRock with a 96 KHz sound card, please try this:

      Open Task Manager, and select the Processes tab. Start Skimmer, select the
      96 KHz scanning rate, and on the Miscellaneous settings tab check "Decode
      only in CW Segments" and select the CW Contest band-plan. Check the
      "adaptive" decoder box.

      Start Skimmer's waterfall. Now compare what Skimmer reports as your CPU
      usage with what Task Manager reports. you will see two processes in Task
      Manager - the important number is the total of the two.

      If the Task Manager total is lower than what Skimmer reports, close
      Skimmer. Now restart Skimmer, start the waterfall, and do the comparison
      again. If the Task Manager total comes in higher than what Skimmer is
      reporting, you are seeing the CPU problem. Try it a few more times and
      report the results. The relative outcome between Skimmer and Task Manager
      is what's important - not the precise numbers.

      If you try this, please also report your CPU, operating system, clock speed
      and RAM size. Thanks a lot!

      73, Pete N4ZR
      the World Contest Station Database is back...
      www.conteststations.com
    • Joe Barger
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 21, 2008
        Hi Pete,

        Vital statistics: P4, 2.8 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, XP Pro SP 3

        LP-PAN/Delta 44: Skimmer 18 - 21 (avg. ~20) Task Mgr 20 - 30 (avg. ~25)
        SDR-IQ Skimmer 21 - 23 (avg. ~21) Task Mgr 30 - 43 (avg. ~32)

        Skimmer stopped/started several times with consistent results.

        Hope this helps.

        Joe n6kk

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2008
          Fascinating, Joe - did you measure the Task Manager values with Skimmer
          minimized?

          73, Pete

          At 04:44 PM 11/21/2008, you wrote:
          >Hi Pete,
          >
          >Vital statistics: P4, 2.8 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, XP Pro SP 3
          >
          >LP-PAN/Delta 44: Skimmer 18 - 21 (avg. ~20) Task Mgr 20 - 30 (avg.
          >~25)
          >SDR-IQ Skimmer 21 - 23 (avg. ~21) Task Mgr 30 - 43
          >(avg. ~32)
          >
          >Skimmer stopped/started several times with consistent results.
          >
          >Hope this helps.
          >
          >Joe n6kk

        • Joe Barger
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 21, 2008
            LP-PAN/Delta 44 Skimmer (minimized) Task Mgr. 26 - 17 (avg. ~20)
            SDR-IQ Skimmer (minimized) Task Mgr. 35 - 27 (avg. ~31)

            Dual monitor accelerated video card with some relatively small amount of internal RAM.

            73

            Joe n6kk

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 22, 2008
              Thanks, Joe. The mystery continues!