RE: [dxatlas] Faros + SDR

  • Dave Baxter
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2008
      Cheers for that Bruce...

      Guess in the first instance, I ought to acquire one of them and build it
      as a standard kit first. I've heard lots of good things about them, but
      never tried one myself... Yet....

      I do realise the frequency selection issues, also the need for front end
      filter switching etc. Interfacing odd things to each other I can
      do!...

      I'll go check out the SoftRock40 group, as you suggest..

      Cheers etc.

      Dave G0WBX.

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2008
        Yes, do check out the Softrock40 group, Dave! You have many countrymen
        working and playing with the Softrock series. You will have to spend
        some time with the mail archives and files on the reflector to catch up
        with the current capability of these little, inexpensive kits. There are
        actually now people working successfully with digital band switching of
        the latest V 9.0 receiver units.(160-2 meters and general coverage.)
        There are even BPF boards being designed for the UHF bands as we type.
        A little mod on those circuits would probably get you what you are
        looking for. You can search on U-tube for 'SDR' items for a taste of
        what they can do.

        Well.... Happy Thanksgiving Season from 'The Colonies!' Glad we got that
        hassle over with!:)

        Bruce, K2BET
        Okemos, MI
        -----------------------------

        Dave Baxter wrote:

        > Cheers for that Bruce...
        >
        > Guess in the first instance, I ought to acquire one of them and build it
        > as a standard kit first. I've heard lots of good things about them, but
        > never tried one myself... Yet....
        >
        > I do realise the frequency selection issues, also the need for front end
        > filter switching etc. Interfacing odd things to each other I can
        > do!...
        >
        > I'll go check out the SoftRock40 group, as you suggest..
        >
        > Cheers etc.
        >
        > Dave G0WBX.

      • g7kse
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 19, 2008
          Dave,

          I've got one of the kits through from Tony albeit short of the CMOS
          bit. I must admit I took one look at it and thought that the SMD's
          might be a bit beyond my 'splatter it with solder' style. But it was
          specifically for trying to get it to work with Faros.

          You can just pay Tony through Paypal and the kit is sent when the
          parts are in.

          Alex

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Baxter" <dave@...> wrote:

          > Cheers for that Bruce...
          >
          > Guess in the first instance, I ought to acquire one of them and
          build it
          > as a standard kit first. I've heard lots of good things about
          them, but
          > never tried one myself... Yet....
          >
          > I do realise the frequency selection issues, also the need for
          front end
          > filter switching etc. Interfacing odd things to each other I can
          > do!...
          >
          > I'll go check out the SoftRock40 group, as you suggest..
          >
          > Cheers etc.
          >
          > Dave G0WBX.

        • Dave Baxter
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 20, 2008
            Hi Alex...

            OK on that. I'm still trying to find my way round the group's file
            folders. Y was very slow yesterday, but I did managed to find and try
            the soundcard capability/benchmark software. Seems I have a half decent
            soundsystem, and quiet too, when it's input is grounded.

            Not found any downloads for the SDR software yet, other than (very) old
            releases, and Rocky of course.

            I plan on first getting one of the kits going firs, but it was mentioned
            that there is a multi band beta release/prototype kit about, (V9? That
            sounds more likely to be suitable for Faros use) but not found hide nor
            hair of that yet.

            Yes, manually soldering SMD parts can indeed be "Interesting"...

            One technique I use when needed (that I learnt from someone else) is to
            position the device on the board and hold it there with a spring loaded
            pin on top of the package. That then allows you to accurately position
            it so all it's legs sit on the tracks just fine.

            Then just "Flood solder" all the legs on each side, covering the lot!
            You need a good hot iron, with a largeish bit, say 4mm screwdriver type
            to do it quickly.

            Then use prefluxed desolder wick to remove 90% of what you just did.
            (Take care to observe static safe practices etc, if needed remove the
            desolder wick from the plastic carier.)

            Do both operations in quick succession, so you don't thermaly shock the
            thing too many times!

            That will then leave the devices pins soldered to the cirtuit board,
            with no shorts etc.

            I've done this several times that way now, and though messy at first, it
            results in a fairly good looking solder job. Clean up any flux residue
            with a cotton bud, and IPA (Iso Prop' Alcohol solvent, not beer!) or
            Meths.

            The only down side, is it's easier to mount SMD stuff first, then
            populate the rest of the board after, increasing the risk of damage to
            the SMD part if there is an uninteded discharge from something.

            With a bit of practice, it works very well, & I've not (yet) killed a
            chip doing it that way either.

            Cheers Alex.

            Dave G0WBX.

          • Dave Baxter
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 20, 2008
              Hehehe...

              Just figured I had joined the wrong SoftRock group [kgksdr] on Yahoo.
              Found the right one [SoftRock40] now. Funny thing is, I searched for
              "SoftRock40" and the SR40 group was not listed!

              Oh well, job done now.

              Dave.

              > 2a. Re: Faros + SDR
              > Posted by: "g7kse" g7kse@... g7kse
              > Date: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:18 am ((PST))
              >
              > Dave,
              >
              > I've got one of the kits through from Tony albeit short of
              > the CMOS bit. I must admit I took one look at it and thought
              > that the SMD's might be a bit beyond my 'splatter it with
              > solder' style. But it was specifically for trying to get it
              > to work with Faros.
              >
              > You can just pay Tony through Paypal and the kit is sent when
              > the parts are in.
              >
              > Alex
            • g7kse
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 21, 2008
                Theres a point where I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and
                start soldering. The I'll get my eyes lasered so i can see again!

                thanks for the advice though.

                I've got a v9.0 kit which I'm hoping to use. There are a few people
                who've got a seperate board for swithing centre frequencies but I'm
                thinking this might not be necssary if the centres are set to the
                ncdxf frequencies. I undertsand that even if a 48kHz soundcard is
                used then it will not be too hard to set it up.