Re: [dxatlas] Re: Morse Runner

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2004
      Hi Gary,

      Such clicks usually indicate that the sound card is too slow, or the CPU is
      overloaded.

      73 Alex VE3NEA

      > Thanks Alex....I've been playing around with Morse Runner for a
      > couple of days.
      >
      > One quick question....I'm using MS Win 98 SE and have noticed a
      > rhythmic "clicking" while the program is running. It is pretty
      > annoying but something one does get used to.
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Gary K9GS
      >

      > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Shovkoplyas, VE3NEA"
      > <alshovk@d...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I have just released Morse Runner, a freeware CW contest simulator
      > > with realistic audio effects.
      > >
      > > Download Morse Runner from
      > > http://www.dxatlas.com/morserunner/morserunner.zip
      > >
      > > 73 Alex VE3NEA
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • f6irf
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2004
        Alex
        Many thanks for releasing Morse-runner...
        I have been a PED-freak for years, and it's really nice to have
        something running under XP, which emulates modern contest software.
        Sound is great and flutter / fading really realistics....
        A few remarks/suggestions, after having spent quite a few hours with
        it along the weekend:

        1- the main problem I face with MR is the lack of "type ahead
        buffer": this is implemented in all major contest software since CT,
        and it is one of the main tip to improve pileup rate... intensive
        training with morse-runner is a bit "counter-productive" in this
        aspect.

        2- The ESM mode behavior is not N1MM-like (not even WL-like)- Don't
        like the cursor auto-jumping in report field when "enter" is pressed -
        In my opinion field change should happen only with spacebar. (this is
        linked to a/m point - it should be possible to finish typing the
        call, while the call is already transmitted - meaning you have
        pressed enter)

        3- In major contest software which implement ESM, the message sent
        depends on cursor position and if the field is empty or not - it is
        not always the case with morse-runner (ie when you erase a call: the
        the cursor in call field)

        4- Though ctrl-W also works in N1MM, I do prefer alt-W... would be
        good to also have F11 (ie for CT, WL and Wintest users). In any case
        alt-W should reset ESM message (as mentionned above)

        5- The score obtained depends for a part on a "luck" factor (the WPX
        multipliers)- Think that the PED notation was better, as the points
        were given in relation with the call complexity: ie VP8/SM7OQO would
        give far more points than P3F or D4B. On top of that the UBN notation
        was applied (3 QSO's penalty for a "Bad" ), which is also a good
        point for training (ie you don't log a call if you are not 100% sure)

        6- The activity "setting" progression is not "smooth" enough - ie
        going from 2 to 3 makes a huge difference (to make a score 2 is
        almost the only position, as the pile becomes too heavy on 3)

        7- When setting a keying-speed to 36 for example, I get the
        impression that the average of stations replying is somewhat above
        36, and many stations far above this speed (ie >50)

        8- Would be nice to have real time rate-meter -ie 10 QSO rate and
        hour-rate

        9- Think you need to differenciate the competition mode, from the
        training mode:
        a-In competition mode the master.dta should be locked (or content
        checked ) - otherwise cheating is too easy and the high score table
        meaningless ;-)
        b-In training mode, it should be possible to enter also the given
        report in the call DB - this would allow to emulate major contests
        like CQWW (waz) or ARRLDX(state for non-US stations)

        10- bad report is just theoretical - never got anything but 5NN -
        dupe also (in any case if you implement dupe, you need an indication
        that's a dupe before logging ). Anyway as no penalty is associated
        with dupes, it is a non-issue...

        11- Think too many "lids" and no way to correct logged report (when
        you are too fast)-for ex. would be nice to have the N1MM ctrl-Q
        function emulated (calls back last logged QSO in entry windows).

        12- for the fun - would be nice to have (sorry once more - like in
        PED-) a few non-computer keyed stations (i.e bug-vibro-double contact)
        and a few old-rig C or D signals... (piou piou piou piiioooouuu...)

        13- Using narrow bandwidth - ie 200hz- just make handling the pile
        more difficult (as the same number of station is within 200hz rather
        than within 600). Think to make it more realistic, you need stations
        to be spread always on the same bandwith - let say +/-300 - and a RIT
        function to be implemented....

        14- making sure a call is correct is a bit too easy: sends the call
        and the report -if the "guy" comes back with NR only you are sure you
        are right - if the "guy" comes back with call+NR you are sure you are
        wrong ...

        15- Finaly - but this one may not be that easy to implement - would
        be great to have signal strength and quality function of the "home
        call" versus "distant call" - ie for a EU station having US west-
        coast stations sounding different from east-coast...

        OK - already makes quite a few point ! If I had to keep only one it
        would obviously be the -1- above

        Best regards- Patrick
        F6IRF

        PS: also take this opportunity to thank you for "hamcap" - was a
        ioncap user, but hamcap really makes the things far simpler and
        usable during SO-operation !

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@d...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 22, 2004
          Hi Patrick,

          Thank you for the suggestions. My to-do list is already two pages long, and
          keeps growing. I did not realize that so many people used callsign
          completion when sending. Personally I think this is a bad habit and should
          be avoided, but since most users want it, I will see if I can implement this
          function.

          73 Alex VE3NEA

> [...]
          > function to be implemented....
          >
          > 14- making sure a call is correct is a bit too easy: sends the call
          > and the report -if the "guy" comes back with NR only you are sure you
          > are right - if the "guy" comes back with call+NR you are sure you are
          > wrong ...
          >
          > 15- Finaly - but this one may not be that easy to implement - would
          > be great to have signal strength and quality function of the "home
          > call" versus "distant call" - ie for a EU station having US west-
          > coast stations sounding different from east-coast...
          >
          > OK - already makes quite a few point ! If I had to keep only one it
          > would obviously be the -1- above
          >
          > Best regards- Patrick
          > F6IRF
          >
          > PS: also take this opportunity to thank you for "hamcap" - was a
          > ioncap user, but hamcap really makes the things far simpler and
        • f6irf
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 22, 2004
            Hi Alex,
            Think that it all depends if you are a kind of keyboard "Clapton"
            (God!), or if you type like a monkey (me !)... but for the second
            category, it sure helps compensate typing slowlyness.

            Btw Forgot to mention some error message which appear from time to
            time, but can't remember exactly in which circumstances... so need to
            test again (someone else probably reported it already).

            Anyway again thanks for the hours of fun already provided...
            Patrick

            wrote:
> [...]
            > > and the report -if the "guy" comes back with NR only you are sure
            you
            > > are right - if the "guy" comes back with call+NR you are sure you
            are
            > > wrong ...
            > >
            > > 15- Finaly - but this one may not be that easy to implement -
            would
            > > be great to have signal strength and quality function of the "home
            > > call" versus "distant call" - ie for a EU station having US west-
            > > coast stations sounding different from east-coast...
            > >
            > > OK - already makes quite a few point ! If I had to keep only one
            it
            > > would obviously be the -1- above
            > >
            > > Best regards- Patrick
            > > F6IRF
            > >
            > > PS: also take this opportunity to thank you for "hamcap" - was a
            > > ioncap user, but hamcap really makes the things far simpler and
          • garyk9gs
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 24, 2004
              Hello Alex,

              I was talking to several others in my DX club that also mentioned the
              same thing. I think that they were all using WIN98SE.

              I need to check at the office but I don't think I have the clicking
              problem on a laptop running WIN 200 Pro.

              -73

              Gary K9GS