Re: [dxatlas] CW Skimmer / SDR-IQ "stopping" abnormally

  • Adam Fast
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
      I'm running the "highly recommended" version of the ActiveX from W2RF
      from this link: http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer/SDRIQX.asp

      It says it's version 1.1.0.0, sdrIQx.dll. It's been regsrv32'd
      properly and I haven't seen any "errors" from it.

      CW Skimmer itself is version 1.3 downloaded two days ago.

      Hardware is XP Pro (32-bit) service pack 2-ish, two AMD Opteron 1.6GHz
      chips and less than 500MB of 1GB RAM used.

      Adam

      On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
      > No, it is not time-limited. This used to be a problem with the very
      > earliest SDR-IQ version of Skimmer - are you sure you have the latest of
      > both the Skimmer and the SDR-IQ activeX control?
      >
      > 73, Pete N4ZR
      >
      > At 08:42 AM 11/13/2008, you wrote:
      >>Hello all,
      >>
      >>Not certain if this is the right list for this, if not please point me
      >>somewhere more appropriate - this is the list linked from the CW
      >>Skimmer site.
      >>
      >>I've got a (trial) copy of CW Skimmer running with an SDR-IQ. However,
      >>it's "stopping" itself almost seemingly at random (so far, I've only
      >>got a couple days experience so not enough to correlate yet).
      >>
      >>Runtimes have been 3hrs, 7.5hrs, 5 hrs, 11.5 hrs and 30 minutes (have
      >>a logger running).
      >>
      >>I do have a script I wrote in order to automagically QSY from band to
      >>band via telnet commands, however this behavior was happening before I
      >>brought that into the picture.
      >>
      >>What happens is the waterfall just goes blank. No error messages, no
      >>program crashes, the waterfall display just stops. It keeps the
      >>connections to all my telnet apps open (and I can see them in the
      >>bottom of the window as normal). Clicking the "Start / Stop Radio"
      >>button twice (presumably once to stop / once to start?) brings it back
      >>to life.
      >>
      >>I didn't see documented anywhere that during the trial mode it was
      >>time limited - but am willing to accept that, obviously. I just wanted
      >>to make sure this wasn't indicative of something within my setup that
      >>may not work out before I bought it.
      >>
      >>Adam
      >>KC0YLK

    • Edward Russell
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
        Adam,

        The latest version of the ActiveX control has automatic recovery from stops.
        Please double-check that it is installed and registered properly. I have
        never seen it stop but it is possible that under certain conditions, or
        perhaps with 1.3 Skimmer you have hit something not seen before. My last
        automatic recovery tests were done with 1.2. I am out of town so won't be
        able to rerun the tests until late this month. Let me know how things
        progress.

        73 Ed W2RF

        I'm running the "highly recommended" version of the ActiveX from W2RF
        from this link: http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer/SDRIQX.asp

        It says it's version 1.1.0.0, sdrIQx.dll. It's been regsrv32'd
        properly and I haven't seen any "errors" from it.

        CW Skimmer itself is version 1.3 downloaded two days ago.

        Hardware is XP Pro (32-bit) service pack 2-ish, two AMD Opteron 1.6GHz
        chips and less than 500MB of 1GB RAM used.

        Adam

        On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
        > No, it is not time-limited. This used to be a problem with the very
        > earliest SDR-IQ version of Skimmer - are you sure you have the latest of
        > both the Skimmer and the SDR-IQ activeX control?
        >
        > 73, Pete N4ZR
        >
        > At 08:42 AM 11/13/2008, you wrote:
        >>Hello all,
        >>
        >>Not certain if this is the right list for this, if not please point me
        >>somewhere more appropriate - this is the list linked from the CW
        >>Skimmer site.
        >>
        >>I've got a (trial) copy of CW Skimmer running with an SDR-IQ. However,
        >>it's "stopping" itself almost seemingly at random (so far, I've only
        >>got a couple days experience so not enough to correlate yet).
        >>
        >>Runtimes have been 3hrs, 7.5hrs, 5 hrs, 11.5 hrs and 30 minutes (have
        >>a logger running).
        >>
        >>I do have a script I wrote in order to automagically QSY from band to
        >>band via telnet commands, however this behavior was happening before I
        >>brought that into the picture.
        >>
        >>What happens is the waterfall just goes blank. No error messages, no
        >>program crashes, the waterfall display just stops. It keeps the
        >>connections to all my telnet apps open (and I can see them in the
        >>bottom of the window as normal). Clicking the "Start / Stop Radio"
        >>button twice (presumably once to stop / once to start?) brings it back
        >>to life.
        >>
        >>I didn't see documented anywhere that during the trial mode it was
        >>time limited - but am willing to accept that, obviously. I just wanted
        >>to make sure this wasn't indicative of something within my setup that
        >>may not work out before I bought it.
        >>
        >>Adam
        >>KC0YLK

      • Adam Fast
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
          Ed,

          Could it be possible I have an out-of-date version of your library?
          Windows reported version 1.1.0.0 (downloaded it through the link in
          the CW Skimmer help file) I did unregister / reboot / reregister /
          reboot / start skimmer before I left to come to work. I'll keep an eye
          on it and see if it stops again.

          Adam

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
            Ed, 1.3 runs fine here for days and days with SDR-IQ.

            73, Pete

          • wd5eae
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
              Adam,

              I had the same problem on a pair of HP AMD computers. Purchased about
              5 months ago with Vista on them. Loaded Skimmer 1.2 and sdrIQx v 1.1.
              Skimmer would stop minutes to hours later (usually minutes). Tried
              running Skimmer on both Vista and WinXP Pro/SP2 and it behaved the
              same. Tried standard O/S installations and tweaked installations to
              remove as much CPU activity as possible. It didn't matter. I
              subsequently moved those computers out and moved another one in.

              Stephen
              WD5EAE
              www.wd5eae.org

              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Fast" <adamfast@...>