CW Skimmer / SDR-IQ "stopping" abnormally

  • Adam Fast
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
      Hello all,

      Not certain if this is the right list for this, if not please point me
      somewhere more appropriate - this is the list linked from the CW
      Skimmer site.

      I've got a (trial) copy of CW Skimmer running with an SDR-IQ. However,
      it's "stopping" itself almost seemingly at random (so far, I've only
      got a couple days experience so not enough to correlate yet).

      Runtimes have been 3hrs, 7.5hrs, 5 hrs, 11.5 hrs and 30 minutes (have
      a logger running).

      I do have a script I wrote in order to automagically QSY from band to
      band via telnet commands, however this behavior was happening before I
      brought that into the picture.

      What happens is the waterfall just goes blank. No error messages, no
      program crashes, the waterfall display just stops. It keeps the
      connections to all my telnet apps open (and I can see them in the
      bottom of the window as normal). Clicking the "Start / Stop Radio"
      button twice (presumably once to stop / once to start?) brings it back
      to life.

      I didn't see documented anywhere that during the trial mode it was
      time limited - but am willing to accept that, obviously. I just wanted
      to make sure this wasn't indicative of something within my setup that
      may not work out before I bought it.

      Adam
      KC0YLK
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
        No, it is not time-limited. This used to be a problem with the very
        earliest SDR-IQ version of Skimmer - are you sure you have the latest of
        both the Skimmer and the SDR-IQ activeX control?

        73, Pete N4ZR

        At 08:42 AM 11/13/2008, you wrote:
        >Hello all,
        >
        >Not certain if this is the right list for this, if not please point me
        >somewhere more appropriate - this is the list linked from the CW
        >Skimmer site.
        >
        >I've got a (trial) copy of CW Skimmer running with an SDR-IQ. However,
        >it's "stopping" itself almost seemingly at random (so far, I've only
        >got a couple days experience so not enough to correlate yet).
        >
        >Runtimes have been 3hrs, 7.5hrs, 5 hrs, 11.5 hrs and 30 minutes (have
        >a logger running).
        >
        >I do have a script I wrote in order to automagically QSY from band to
        >band via telnet commands, however this behavior was happening before I
        >brought that into the picture.
        >
        >What happens is the waterfall just goes blank. No error messages, no
        >program crashes, the waterfall display just stops. It keeps the
        >connections to all my telnet apps open (and I can see them in the
        >bottom of the window as normal). Clicking the "Start / Stop Radio"
        >button twice (presumably once to stop / once to start?) brings it back
        >to life.
        >
        >I didn't see documented anywhere that during the trial mode it was
        >time limited - but am willing to accept that, obviously. I just wanted
        >to make sure this wasn't indicative of something within my setup that
        >may not work out before I bought it.
        >
        >Adam
        >KC0YLK

      • Adam Fast
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
          I'm running the "highly recommended" version of the ActiveX from W2RF
          from this link: http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer/SDRIQX.asp

          It says it's version 1.1.0.0, sdrIQx.dll. It's been regsrv32'd
          properly and I haven't seen any "errors" from it.

          CW Skimmer itself is version 1.3 downloaded two days ago.

          Hardware is XP Pro (32-bit) service pack 2-ish, two AMD Opteron 1.6GHz
          chips and less than 500MB of 1GB RAM used.

          Adam

          On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
          > No, it is not time-limited. This used to be a problem with the very
          > earliest SDR-IQ version of Skimmer - are you sure you have the latest of
          > both the Skimmer and the SDR-IQ activeX control?
          >
          > 73, Pete N4ZR
          >
          > At 08:42 AM 11/13/2008, you wrote:
          >>Hello all,
          >>
          >>Not certain if this is the right list for this, if not please point me
          >>somewhere more appropriate - this is the list linked from the CW
          >>Skimmer site.
          >>
          >>I've got a (trial) copy of CW Skimmer running with an SDR-IQ. However,
          >>it's "stopping" itself almost seemingly at random (so far, I've only
          >>got a couple days experience so not enough to correlate yet).
          >>
          >>Runtimes have been 3hrs, 7.5hrs, 5 hrs, 11.5 hrs and 30 minutes (have
          >>a logger running).
          >>
          >>I do have a script I wrote in order to automagically QSY from band to
          >>band via telnet commands, however this behavior was happening before I
          >>brought that into the picture.
          >>
          >>What happens is the waterfall just goes blank. No error messages, no
          >>program crashes, the waterfall display just stops. It keeps the
          >>connections to all my telnet apps open (and I can see them in the
          >>bottom of the window as normal). Clicking the "Start / Stop Radio"
          >>button twice (presumably once to stop / once to start?) brings it back
          >>to life.
          >>
          >>I didn't see documented anywhere that during the trial mode it was
          >>time limited - but am willing to accept that, obviously. I just wanted
          >>to make sure this wasn't indicative of something within my setup that
          >>may not work out before I bought it.
          >>
          >>Adam
          >>KC0YLK

        • Edward Russell
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
            Adam,

            The latest version of the ActiveX control has automatic recovery from stops.
            Please double-check that it is installed and registered properly. I have
            never seen it stop but it is possible that under certain conditions, or
            perhaps with 1.3 Skimmer you have hit something not seen before. My last
            automatic recovery tests were done with 1.2. I am out of town so won't be
            able to rerun the tests until late this month. Let me know how things
            progress.

            73 Ed W2RF

            I'm running the "highly recommended" version of the ActiveX from W2RF
            from this link: http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer/SDRIQX.asp

            It says it's version 1.1.0.0, sdrIQx.dll. It's been regsrv32'd
            properly and I haven't seen any "errors" from it.

            CW Skimmer itself is version 1.3 downloaded two days ago.

            Hardware is XP Pro (32-bit) service pack 2-ish, two AMD Opteron 1.6GHz
            chips and less than 500MB of 1GB RAM used.

            Adam

            On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
            > No, it is not time-limited. This used to be a problem with the very
            > earliest SDR-IQ version of Skimmer - are you sure you have the latest of
            > both the Skimmer and the SDR-IQ activeX control?
            >
            > 73, Pete N4ZR
            >
            > At 08:42 AM 11/13/2008, you wrote:
            >>Hello all,
            >>
            >>Not certain if this is the right list for this, if not please point me
            >>somewhere more appropriate - this is the list linked from the CW
            >>Skimmer site.
            >>
            >>I've got a (trial) copy of CW Skimmer running with an SDR-IQ. However,
            >>it's "stopping" itself almost seemingly at random (so far, I've only
            >>got a couple days experience so not enough to correlate yet).
            >>
            >>Runtimes have been 3hrs, 7.5hrs, 5 hrs, 11.5 hrs and 30 minutes (have
            >>a logger running).
            >>
            >>I do have a script I wrote in order to automagically QSY from band to
            >>band via telnet commands, however this behavior was happening before I
            >>brought that into the picture.
            >>
            >>What happens is the waterfall just goes blank. No error messages, no
            >>program crashes, the waterfall display just stops. It keeps the
            >>connections to all my telnet apps open (and I can see them in the
            >>bottom of the window as normal). Clicking the "Start / Stop Radio"
            >>button twice (presumably once to stop / once to start?) brings it back
            >>to life.
            >>
            >>I didn't see documented anywhere that during the trial mode it was
            >>time limited - but am willing to accept that, obviously. I just wanted
            >>to make sure this wasn't indicative of something within my setup that
            >>may not work out before I bought it.
            >>
            >>Adam
            >>KC0YLK

          • Adam Fast
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
              Ed,

              Could it be possible I have an out-of-date version of your library?
              Windows reported version 1.1.0.0 (downloaded it through the link in
              the CW Skimmer help file) I did unregister / reboot / reregister /
              reboot / start skimmer before I left to come to work. I'll keep an eye
              on it and see if it stops again.

              Adam

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
                Ed, 1.3 runs fine here for days and days with SDR-IQ.

                73, Pete

              • wd5eae
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
                  Adam,

                  I had the same problem on a pair of HP AMD computers. Purchased about
                  5 months ago with Vista on them. Loaded Skimmer 1.2 and sdrIQx v 1.1.
                  Skimmer would stop minutes to hours later (usually minutes). Tried
                  running Skimmer on both Vista and WinXP Pro/SP2 and it behaved the
                  same. Tried standard O/S installations and tweaked installations to
                  remove as much CPU activity as possible. It didn't matter. I
                  subsequently moved those computers out and moved another one in.

                  Stephen
                  WD5EAE
                  www.wd5eae.org

                  --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Fast" <adamfast@...>