Re: Web Upload for Faros

  • g7kse
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 12, 2008
      Dave,

      We seem to have had very similar experiences with FTP and the
      uploads. Although I think I can safely say that you know much more
      about why it does what it does.

      My flavour of the month or rather last few months has been this one
      (http://www.glenn.delahoy.com/software/index.shtml)

      I have set it up with two options. One to do a detect and syncronise
      and a 'do it now' option. From my limited knowledge it seems to
      detect a change. I set it wait 30 seconds after that to make sure
      there was no conflicts with the very old laptop I use. Then start
      the FTP connection. Do the synchronising and then cut the connection.

      Most of the time it works quite well be every now and again it falls
      over and I suspect the PC is at fault as it is very slow.

      Just about all the other software needed more manual attention than
      was worth it. This seems to need the least amount of effort on my
      set up.

      I am looking at making a large change to the set up by building a HF
      lite softrock SDR and using a pico-itx m'board to run the station in
      place of the aging laptop and ic-703 and I'm hoping that this will
      solve some of the pc issues around the aging IT. It will take a
      while to build the SDR as I've never had any experience in SMD's and
      I almost lost one on the carpet yesterday morning!

      After that I think I might take you up on the setting up a web
      server of my own thing, just as long as I can get wordpress to run
      on it.

      Alex

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Baxter" <dave@...> wrote:

      > Hi Alex (G7KSE)
      >
      > Yes, that is much the same experience I had. The problem is not
      with
      > the auto uploaders, but with the FTP servers at the website, they
      will
      > timeout and drop the link if there is no traffic for a (short)
      period of
      > time... As we have no control of that end, we are "stuffed" as
      we'd
      > say.
      >
      > If there is an automatic FTP uploaded, that will itself close the
      link
      > when the job is done, and then make a new connection when the next
      batch
      > is ready, that is what we need, even on a file by file basis if
      need be.

      > I have the tools to make such a program, but I don't sadly have the
      > spare time for that (or many other things I'd like to do, not just
      > radio, PC's etc)
      >
      > There are two conflicting requirements. To close the link when
      the
      > batch work is done, and to detect when exactly that work is
      done. None
      > of the automatic uploaders I've tried can it seems do either of
      them.

      > I did some experiments with WinSCP and a FTP server of my own, and
      if
      > you configure the server NOT to time out the clients connection,
      then
      > WinSCP, AutoFTP etc work just fine all the time. BUT...
      >
      > If the connection is lost, (a network "burp" etc) then the server
      will
      > not close the connection, and eventualy will exhaust it's network
      > sockets resources, so you can see why just about all FTP servers
      will
      > timeout a client at some point if there is no traffic. That and
      most
      > clients inability to cleanly detect a failed link, and remake it,
      is the
      > problem.
      >
      > The other problem, telling when the batch job is done, in some
      ways is
      > easy, but if it's just sitting there monitoring the file system for
      > changes, it has no way of telling that things are "done" for now,
      just
      > because no changes have been made for a while. Unless you found
      one, I
      > have not found one that will itself drop the link to the server
      cleanly,
      > after a period of no local changes.
      >
      > Scheduled uploaders. Is probably the overall best way to go at the
      > moment. They should connect to the server, shovel the data, and
      > disconnect, nothing else. The problem is to get the schedule
      timing
      > right so the website does not fall too far behind Faros, and
      conversely
      > not to create too many unneeded updates. I guess if Faros is set
      > update the data files every quater hour say, then the sheduler
      could run
      > every 7 1/2 minutes. Just an example, I have Faros updating the
      GIF's
      > every hour here, so a sheduled upload every half hour, or
      triggered at
      > specific minutes past the hour perhaps. Then you need to
      synchronise
      > the PC's clock too, more fun and games!...
      >

      > 73.
      >
      > Dave G0WBX
      >

      > > Messages
      > > __________
      > > 1. You have received an important Message!
      > > Posted by: "hysfbce" hysfbce@... hysfbce
      > > Date: Sun Nov 9, 2008 5:59 pm ((PST))
      > >
      > > You have received an important Message! Check it here:
      > > ht tp://byd yvfu.zo omshare.com/fi les/ke nny.htm
      > >
      > Yeah, as if I'm ever going to click on that! I broke the link
      just to
      > make sure...
      > Ignore it folks! No matter how well protected you may think you
      are, if
      > you cause your system to down load a malicious web page, you can
      still
      > get a nasty suprise, and not always imediatly!
      > I'm not saying that page is know to be bad, but this is how the
      bad guys
      > work...
      > >
      > > Messages in this topic (1)
      > > __________
      > > 2a. Re: Web Upload for Faros
      > > Posted by: "g7kse" g7kse@... g7kse
      > > Date: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:49 am ((PST))
      > >
      > > Where do I start. I tried a whole heap of different client.
      > >
      > > WinSCP - Did the upload fine but timed out and couldn't keep
      > > alive AutoFTP from Primasoft - As WinSCP AUTOftp Manager -
      > > Worked but being married to a Scot a free solution was what I
      > > was after.
      > > CoreFTP - Done on a schedule rather than as a syncro service.
      > > Worked well.
      > > FTP Synchronizer - Expensive but worked
      > > Carbon FTP - Never got off the ground as I found the Glen
      > > Delahoy AutoFTP
      > >
      > > I struggled so hard to make the keep alive part working that
      > > I ended up giving up and ended up using a macro recorder and
      > > scheduler in XP to run it. The ftp part was the biggest
      > > headache and still isn't failsafe on my system.
      > >
      > > I'm planning on a pc upgrade so I'm hoping that if I switch
      > > to a better motherboard then it'll not give out the errors so
      > > regularly
      > >
      > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Alex, The only problem I had was the time out and
      disconnect
      > > on idle. I need a keep-alive feature I guess. I have another
      > > FTP program that does that but won't upload on file change.
      > > What other FTP clients are available other that SCR?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks a million,
      > > >
      > > > Dave

      Alex
      > > servers will