RE: [dxatlas] Is CW Skimmer twins?

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
      Pete

      You can download a whole suite of utilities from this Microsoft website, for
      free. One of the applications that I would recommend is called 'Process
      Explorer'. It shows all kinds of info.

      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx

      Hope it helps.

      Chris

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
        Thanks, Chris. I have Process Explorer but have pretty much stopped using
        it because it causes regular, total blanks in the USB data stream from my
        SDR-IQ, which messes up decoding. It also costs about 10 percent CPU
        regular Task Manager, uses much less CPU, and doesn't bother the USB data
        stream.

        73, Pete N4ZR

        At 03:05 PM 11/11/2008, Chris wrote:
        >Pete
        >

        >You can download a whole suite of utilities from this Microsoft website, for
        >free. One of the applications that I would recommend is called 'Process
        >Explorer'. It shows all kinds of info.
        >

        >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx
        >

        >Hope it helps.
        >

        >Chris
        >

        > _____

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
          OK Pete.I hadn't noticed PE was so hungry.and I hadn't noticed the
          bit-slipping in the USB data stream because I'm only running Skimmer in 3kHz
          mode!!! I'm so envious of your SDR-IQ, ha ha.

          Do you have a weblink to download PRIO from?

          73's

          Chris

          _____

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
            At 04:20 PM 11/11/2008, you wrote:
            >OK Pete.I hadn't noticed PE was so hungry.and I hadn't noticed the
            >bit-slipping in the USB data stream because I'm only running Skimmer in 3kHz
            >mode!!! I'm so envious of your SDR-IQ, ha ha.
            >

            >Do you have a weblink to download PRIO from?

            Try PRIO
            (<http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html>http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html)

            73, Pete
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
              Many thanks for the link Pete

              Kind Regards

              Chris

              _____

              >OK Pete.I hadn't noticed PE was so hungry.and I hadn't noticed the
              >bit-slipping in the USB data stream because I'm only running Skimmer in
              3kHz
              >mode!!! I'm so envious of your SDR-IQ, ha ha.
              >

              >Do you have a weblink to download PRIO from?

              Try PRIO
              (<http://www.prnwatch <http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html>
              .com/prio.html>http://www.prnwatch <http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html>
              .com/prio.html)

              73, Pete

            • Graham
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
                My experience is different - I get TWO processes
                entitled "CwSkimmer.exe" in Task Manager. I've always suspected this
                might be because one is running Omni Rig and the other (larger) is CW
                Skimmer itself, but I don't know for sure.

                This is on Windows XP SP3.

                73 de Graham G3ZOD

                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Frank LaFranco"
                <flafranco@...> wrote:

                > Hi Pete,
                > When I run CW Skimmer it reports 7% CPU usage. Windows Task
                Manager reports 1 instance of CW Skimmer and the CPU usage bounces
                between 8 and 12%

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
                  I show Omnirig as a separate process in Task Manager - which, come to think
                  of it, is pretty odd, because I set both radios to "none" on the CAT tab -
                  why should it be running at all?

                  So far, everyone has reported two processes except Frank - I think he may
                  have been looking at the Applications tab instead.

                  73, Pete N4ZR