Re: [dxatlas] Is CW Skimmer twins?

  • Frank LaFranco
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
      Hi Pete,
      When I run CW Skimmer it reports 7% CPU usage. Windows Task Manager reports 1 instance of CW Skimmer and the CPU usage bounces between 8 and 12%

      Computer uses Intel dual core 2.66 Gig processor and Windows XP.

      73,
      Frank - W6NEK
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
        Pete

        You can download a whole suite of utilities from this Microsoft website, for
        free. One of the applications that I would recommend is called 'Process
        Explorer'. It shows all kinds of info.

        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx

        Hope it helps.

        Chris

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
          Thanks, Chris. I have Process Explorer but have pretty much stopped using
          it because it causes regular, total blanks in the USB data stream from my
          SDR-IQ, which messes up decoding. It also costs about 10 percent CPU
          regular Task Manager, uses much less CPU, and doesn't bother the USB data
          stream.

          73, Pete N4ZR

          At 03:05 PM 11/11/2008, Chris wrote:
          >Pete
          >

          >You can download a whole suite of utilities from this Microsoft website, for
          >free. One of the applications that I would recommend is called 'Process
          >Explorer'. It shows all kinds of info.
          >

          >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx
          >

          >Hope it helps.
          >

          >Chris
          >

          > _____

        • Chris
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
            OK Pete.I hadn't noticed PE was so hungry.and I hadn't noticed the
            bit-slipping in the USB data stream because I'm only running Skimmer in 3kHz
            mode!!! I'm so envious of your SDR-IQ, ha ha.

            Do you have a weblink to download PRIO from?

            73's

            Chris

            _____

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
              At 04:20 PM 11/11/2008, you wrote:
              >OK Pete.I hadn't noticed PE was so hungry.and I hadn't noticed the
              >bit-slipping in the USB data stream because I'm only running Skimmer in 3kHz
              >mode!!! I'm so envious of your SDR-IQ, ha ha.
              >

              >Do you have a weblink to download PRIO from?

              Try PRIO
              (<http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html>http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html)

              73, Pete
            • Chris
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
                Many thanks for the link Pete

                Kind Regards

                Chris

                _____

                >OK Pete.I hadn't noticed PE was so hungry.and I hadn't noticed the
                >bit-slipping in the USB data stream because I'm only running Skimmer in
                3kHz
                >mode!!! I'm so envious of your SDR-IQ, ha ha.
                >

                >Do you have a weblink to download PRIO from?

                Try PRIO
                (<http://www.prnwatch <http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html>
                .com/prio.html>http://www.prnwatch <http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html>
                .com/prio.html)

                73, Pete

              • Graham
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
                  My experience is different - I get TWO processes
                  entitled "CwSkimmer.exe" in Task Manager. I've always suspected this
                  might be because one is running Omni Rig and the other (larger) is CW
                  Skimmer itself, but I don't know for sure.

                  This is on Windows XP SP3.

                  73 de Graham G3ZOD

                  --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Frank LaFranco"

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
                    I show Omnirig as a separate process in Task Manager - which, come to think
                    of it, is pretty odd, because I set both radios to "none" on the CAT tab -
                    why should it be running at all?

                    So far, everyone has reported two processes except Frank - I think he may
                    have been looking at the Applications tab instead.

                    73, Pete N4ZR