Is CW Skimmer twins?

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
      Those who are using VE3NEA's CW Skimmer, can you help me with a quick
      check? When you look in Task Manager with Skimmer running, Does it show up
      as one process or two? Is the CPU consumption reported by Task Manager
      more or less than that being reported by Skimmer itself.

      Thanks!

      73, Pete N4ZR
      the World Contest Station Database is back...
      www.conteststations.com
    • Frank LaFranco
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
        Hi Pete,
        When I run CW Skimmer it reports 7% CPU usage. Windows Task Manager reports 1 instance of CW Skimmer and the CPU usage bounces between 8 and 12%

        Computer uses Intel dual core 2.66 Gig processor and Windows XP.

        73,
        Frank - W6NEK

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
          Pete

          You can download a whole suite of utilities from this Microsoft website, for
          free. One of the applications that I would recommend is called 'Process
          Explorer'. It shows all kinds of info.

          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx

          Hope it helps.

          Chris

          _____

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
            Thanks, Chris. I have Process Explorer but have pretty much stopped using
            it because it causes regular, total blanks in the USB data stream from my
            SDR-IQ, which messes up decoding. It also costs about 10 percent CPU
            regular Task Manager, uses much less CPU, and doesn't bother the USB data
            stream.

            73, Pete N4ZR

            At 03:05 PM 11/11/2008, Chris wrote:
            >Pete
            >

            >You can download a whole suite of utilities from this Microsoft website, for
            >free. One of the applications that I would recommend is called 'Process
            >Explorer'. It shows all kinds of info.
            >

            >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx
            >

            >Hope it helps.
            >

            >Chris
            >

            > _____

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
              OK Pete.I hadn't noticed PE was so hungry.and I hadn't noticed the
              bit-slipping in the USB data stream because I'm only running Skimmer in 3kHz
              mode!!! I'm so envious of your SDR-IQ, ha ha.

              Do you have a weblink to download PRIO from?

              73's

              Chris

              _____

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
                At 04:20 PM 11/11/2008, you wrote:
                >OK Pete.I hadn't noticed PE was so hungry.and I hadn't noticed the
                >bit-slipping in the USB data stream because I'm only running Skimmer in 3kHz
                >mode!!! I'm so envious of your SDR-IQ, ha ha.
                >

                >Do you have a weblink to download PRIO from?

                Try PRIO
                (<http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html>http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html)

                73, Pete
              • Chris
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
                  Many thanks for the link Pete

                  Kind Regards

                  Chris

                  _____

                  >OK Pete.I hadn't noticed PE was so hungry.and I hadn't noticed the
                  >bit-slipping in the USB data stream because I'm only running Skimmer in
                  3kHz
                  >mode!!! I'm so envious of your SDR-IQ, ha ha.
                  >

                  >Do you have a weblink to download PRIO from?

                  Try PRIO
                  (<http://www.prnwatch <http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html>
                  .com/prio.html>http://www.prnwatch <http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html>
                  .com/prio.html)

                  73, Pete

                • Graham
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
                    My experience is different - I get TWO processes
                    entitled "CwSkimmer.exe" in Task Manager. I've always suspected this
                    might be because one is running Omni Rig and the other (larger) is CW
                    Skimmer itself, but I don't know for sure.

                    This is on Windows XP SP3.

                    73 de Graham G3ZOD

                    --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Frank LaFranco"

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
                      I show Omnirig as a separate process in Task Manager - which, come to think
                      of it, is pretty odd, because I set both radios to "none" on the CAT tab -
                      why should it be running at all?

                      So far, everyone has reported two processes except Frank - I think he may
                      have been looking at the Applications tab instead.

                      73, Pete N4ZR