Re: [dxatlas] Web Upload for Faros

  • g7kse
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 10, 2008
      Where do I start. I tried a whole heap of different client.

      WinSCP - Did the upload fine but timed out and couldn't keep alive
      AutoFTP from Primasoft - As WinSCP
      AUTOftp Manager - Worked but being married to a Scot a free solution
      was what I was after.
      CoreFTP - Done on a schedule rather than as a syncro service. Worked
      well.
      FTP Synchronizer - Expensive but worked
      Carbon FTP - Never got off the ground as I found the Glen Delahoy
      AutoFTP

      I struggled so hard to make the keep alive part working that I ended
      up giving up and ended up using a macro recorder and scheduler in XP
      to run it. The ftp part was the biggest headache and still isn't
      failsafe on my system.

      I'm planning on a pc upgrade so I'm hoping that if I switch to a
      better motherboard then it'll not give out the errors so regularly

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:

      > Hi Alex, The only problem I had was the time out and disconnect
      on idle. I need a keep-alive feature I guess. I have another FTP
      program that does that but won't upload on file change. What other
      FTP clients are available other that SCR?

      > Thanks a million,
      >
      > Dave

      I'll walk
      > you through what I had to do, not only with the mini web server
      program,
      > but the Router "Adjustments" needed to allow it all to work, and
      stay
      > secure.
      >
      > With a suitable PC, it should be posible to have Faros, and the
      web page
      > server all on one box. It's a pitty it still needs an external
      NTP
      > source, or you could use it when out portable away from the 'net.
      > (Mobile GPRS or 3G based 'net, does not cut the mustard, oh how
      I've
      > tried!)
      >
      > 73
      >
      > Dave G0WBX.

      11/5/2008 5:36 PM

    • Dave Baxter
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 11, 2008
        Hi Alex (G7KSE)

        Yes, that is much the same experience I had. The problem is not with
        the auto uploaders, but with the FTP servers at the website, they will
        timeout and drop the link if there is no traffic for a (short) period of
        time... As we have no control of that end, we are "stuffed" as we'd
        say.

        If there is an automatic FTP uploaded, that will itself close the link
        when the job is done, and then make a new connection when the next batch
        is ready, that is what we need, even on a file by file basis if need be.

        I have the tools to make such a program, but I don't sadly have the
        spare time for that (or many other things I'd like to do, not just
        radio, PC's etc)

        There are two conflicting requirements. To close the link when the
        batch work is done, and to detect when exactly that work is done. None
        of the automatic uploaders I've tried can it seems do either of them.

        I did some experiments with WinSCP and a FTP server of my own, and if
        you configure the server NOT to time out the clients connection, then
        WinSCP, AutoFTP etc work just fine all the time. BUT...

        If the connection is lost, (a network "burp" etc) then the server will
        not close the connection, and eventualy will exhaust it's network
        sockets resources, so you can see why just about all FTP servers will
        timeout a client at some point if there is no traffic. That and most
        clients inability to cleanly detect a failed link, and remake it, is the
        problem.

        The other problem, telling when the batch job is done, in some ways is
        easy, but if it's just sitting there monitoring the file system for
        changes, it has no way of telling that things are "done" for now, just
        because no changes have been made for a while. Unless you found one, I
        have not found one that will itself drop the link to the server cleanly,
        after a period of no local changes.

        Scheduled uploaders. Is probably the overall best way to go at the
        moment. They should connect to the server, shovel the data, and
        disconnect, nothing else. The problem is to get the schedule timing
        right so the website does not fall too far behind Faros, and conversely
        not to create too many unneeded updates. I guess if Faros is set to
        update the data files every quater hour say, then the sheduler could run
        every 7 1/2 minutes. Just an example, I have Faros updating the GIF's
        every hour here, so a sheduled upload every half hour, or triggered at
        specific minutes past the hour perhaps. Then you need to synchronise
        the PC's clock too, more fun and games!...

        73.

        Dave G0WBX

        > Messages
        > __________
        > 1. You have received an important Message!
        > Posted by: "hysfbce" hysfbce@... hysfbce
        > Date: Sun Nov 9, 2008 5:59 pm ((PST))
        >
        > You have received an important Message! Check it here:
        > ht tp://byd yvfu.zo omshare.com/fi les/ke nny.htm

        Yeah, as if I'm ever going to click on that! I broke the link just to
        make sure...
        Ignore it folks! No matter how well protected you may think you are, if
        you cause your system to down load a malicious web page, you can still
        get a nasty suprise, and not always imediatly!
        I'm not saying that page is know to be bad, but this is how the bad guys
        work...

        > Messages in this topic (1)
        > __________
        > 2a. Re: Web Upload for Faros
        > Posted by: "g7kse" g7kse@... g7kse
        > Date: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:49 am ((PST))
        >
        > Where do I start. I tried a whole heap of different client.
        >
        > WinSCP - Did the upload fine but timed out and couldn't keep
        > alive AutoFTP from Primasoft - As WinSCP AUTOftp Manager -
        > Worked but being married to a Scot a free solution was what I
        > was after.
        > CoreFTP - Done on a schedule rather than as a syncro service.
        > Worked well.
        > FTP Synchronizer - Expensive but worked
        > Carbon FTP - Never got off the ground as I found the Glen
        > Delahoy AutoFTP
        >
        > I struggled so hard to make the keep alive part working that
        > I ended up giving up and ended up using a macro recorder and
        > scheduler in XP to run it. The ftp part was the biggest
        > headache and still isn't failsafe on my system.
        >
        > I'm planning on a pc upgrade so I'm hoping that if I switch
        > to a better motherboard then it'll not give out the errors so
        > regularly
        >
        > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Alex, The only problem I had was the time out and disconnect
        > on idle. I need a keep-alive feature I guess. I have another
        > FTP program that does that but won't upload on file change.
        > What other FTP clients are available other that SCR?
        > >
        > > Thanks a million,
        > >
        > > Dave

      • g7kse
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 12, 2008
          Dave,

          We seem to have had very similar experiences with FTP and the
          uploads. Although I think I can safely say that you know much more
          about why it does what it does.

          My flavour of the month or rather last few months has been this one
          (http://www.glenn.delahoy.com/software/index.shtml)

          I have set it up with two options. One to do a detect and syncronise
          and a 'do it now' option. From my limited knowledge it seems to
          detect a change. I set it wait 30 seconds after that to make sure
          there was no conflicts with the very old laptop I use. Then start
          the FTP connection. Do the synchronising and then cut the connection.

          Most of the time it works quite well be every now and again it falls
          over and I suspect the PC is at fault as it is very slow.

          Just about all the other software needed more manual attention than
          was worth it. This seems to need the least amount of effort on my
          set up.

          I am looking at making a large change to the set up by building a HF
          lite softrock SDR and using a pico-itx m'board to run the station in
          place of the aging laptop and ic-703 and I'm hoping that this will
          solve some of the pc issues around the aging IT. It will take a
          while to build the SDR as I've never had any experience in SMD's and
          I almost lost one on the carpet yesterday morning!

          After that I think I might take you up on the setting up a web
          server of my own thing, just as long as I can get wordpress to run
          on it.

          Alex