Re: [dxatlas] Web Upload for Faros

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 7, 2008
      Hi Alex, The only problem I had was the time out and disconnect on idle. I need a keep-alive feature I guess. I have another FTP program that does that but won't upload on file change. What other FTP clients are available other that SCR?

      Thanks a million,

      Dave

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 10, 2008
        Where do I start. I tried a whole heap of different client.

        WinSCP - Did the upload fine but timed out and couldn't keep alive
        AutoFTP from Primasoft - As WinSCP
        AUTOftp Manager - Worked but being married to a Scot a free solution
        was what I was after.
        CoreFTP - Done on a schedule rather than as a syncro service. Worked
        well.
        FTP Synchronizer - Expensive but worked
        Carbon FTP - Never got off the ground as I found the Glen Delahoy
        AutoFTP

        I struggled so hard to make the keep alive part working that I ended
        up giving up and ended up using a macro recorder and scheduler in XP
        to run it. The ftp part was the biggest headache and still isn't
        failsafe on my system.

        I'm planning on a pc upgrade so I'm hoping that if I switch to a
        better motherboard then it'll not give out the errors so regularly

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:

        > Hi Alex, The only problem I had was the time out and disconnect
        on idle. I need a keep-alive feature I guess. I have another FTP
        program that does that but won't upload on file change. What other
        FTP clients are available other that SCR?

        > Thanks a million,
        >
        > Dave

        11/5/2008 5:36 PM

      • Dave Baxter
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 11, 2008
          Hi Alex (G7KSE)

          Yes, that is much the same experience I had. The problem is not with
          the auto uploaders, but with the FTP servers at the website, they will
          timeout and drop the link if there is no traffic for a (short) period of
          time... As we have no control of that end, we are "stuffed" as we'd
          say.

          If there is an automatic FTP uploaded, that will itself close the link
          when the job is done, and then make a new connection when the next batch
          is ready, that is what we need, even on a file by file basis if need be.

          I have the tools to make such a program, but I don't sadly have the
          spare time for that (or many other things I'd like to do, not just
          radio, PC's etc)

          There are two conflicting requirements. To close the link when the
          batch work is done, and to detect when exactly that work is done. None
          of the automatic uploaders I've tried can it seems do either of them.

          I did some experiments with WinSCP and a FTP server of my own, and if
          you configure the server NOT to time out the clients connection, then
          WinSCP, AutoFTP etc work just fine all the time. BUT...

          If the connection is lost, (a network "burp" etc) then the server will
          not close the connection, and eventualy will exhaust it's network
          sockets resources, so you can see why just about all FTP servers will
          timeout a client at some point if there is no traffic. That and most
          clients inability to cleanly detect a failed link, and remake it, is the
          problem.

          The other problem, telling when the batch job is done, in some ways is
          easy, but if it's just sitting there monitoring the file system for
          changes, it has no way of telling that things are "done" for now, just
          because no changes have been made for a while. Unless you found one, I
          have not found one that will itself drop the link to the server cleanly,
          after a period of no local changes.

          Scheduled uploaders. Is probably the overall best way to go at the
          moment. They should connect to the server, shovel the data, and
          disconnect, nothing else. The problem is to get the schedule timing
          right so the website does not fall too far behind Faros, and conversely
          not to create too many unneeded updates. I guess if Faros is set to
          update the data files every quater hour say, then the sheduler could run
          every 7 1/2 minutes. Just an example, I have Faros updating the GIF's
          every hour here, so a sheduled upload every half hour, or triggered at
          specific minutes past the hour perhaps. Then you need to synchronise
          the PC's clock too, more fun and games!...

          73.

          Dave G0WBX

          > Messages
          > __________
          > 1. You have received an important Message!
          > Posted by: "hysfbce" hysfbce@... hysfbce
          > Date: Sun Nov 9, 2008 5:59 pm ((PST))
          >
          > You have received an important Message! Check it here:
          > ht tp://byd yvfu.zo omshare.com/fi les/ke nny.htm

          Yeah, as if I'm ever going to click on that! I broke the link just to
          make sure...
          Ignore it folks! No matter how well protected you may think you are, if
          you cause your system to down load a malicious web page, you can still
          get a nasty suprise, and not always imediatly!
          I'm not saying that page is know to be bad, but this is how the bad guys
          work...

          > Messages in this topic (1)
          > __________
          > 2a. Re: Web Upload for Faros
          > Posted by: "g7kse" g7kse@... g7kse
          > Date: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:49 am ((PST))
          >
          > Where do I start. I tried a whole heap of different client.
          >
          > WinSCP - Did the upload fine but timed out and couldn't keep
          > alive AutoFTP from Primasoft - As WinSCP AUTOftp Manager -
          > Worked but being married to a Scot a free solution was what I
          > was after.
          > CoreFTP - Done on a schedule rather than as a syncro service.
          > Worked well.
          > FTP Synchronizer - Expensive but worked
          > Carbon FTP - Never got off the ground as I found the Glen
          > Delahoy AutoFTP
          >
          > I struggled so hard to make the keep alive part working that
          > I ended up giving up and ended up using a macro recorder and
          > scheduler in XP to run it. The ftp part was the biggest
          > headache and still isn't failsafe on my system.
          >
          > I'm planning on a pc upgrade so I'm hoping that if I switch
          > to a better motherboard then it'll not give out the errors so
          > regularly
          >
          > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Alex, The only problem I had was the time out and disconnect
          > on idle. I need a keep-alive feature I guess. I have another
          > FTP program that does that but won't upload on file change.
          > What other FTP clients are available other that SCR?
          > >
          > > Thanks a million,
          > >
          > > Dave

        • g7kse
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 12, 2008
            Dave,

            We seem to have had very similar experiences with FTP and the
            uploads. Although I think I can safely say that you know much more
            about why it does what it does.

            My flavour of the month or rather last few months has been this one
            (http://www.glenn.delahoy.com/software/index.shtml)

            I have set it up with two options. One to do a detect and syncronise
            and a 'do it now' option. From my limited knowledge it seems to
            detect a change. I set it wait 30 seconds after that to make sure
            there was no conflicts with the very old laptop I use. Then start
            the FTP connection. Do the synchronising and then cut the connection.

            Most of the time it works quite well be every now and again it falls
            over and I suspect the PC is at fault as it is very slow.

            Just about all the other software needed more manual attention than
            was worth it. This seems to need the least amount of effort on my
            set up.

            I am looking at making a large change to the set up by building a HF
            lite softrock SDR and using a pico-itx m'board to run the station in
            place of the aging laptop and ic-703 and I'm hoping that this will
            solve some of the pc issues around the aging IT. It will take a
            while to build the SDR as I've never had any experience in SMD's and
            I almost lost one on the carpet yesterday morning!

            After that I think I might take you up on the setting up a web
            server of my own thing, just as long as I can get wordpress to run
            on it.

            Alex