CPU Speed

  • davemynatt
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2008
      Hi group, I saw the recommended CPU speed was 1Ghzand minimum memory
      probably 1GB RAM. Is this agood place to start? Any degradation
      from,say,600Mhz with 256Mb RAM?

      Dave/KA0SWT
    • Dave Baxter
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2008
        Hi Dave...

        I run Faros currently on an old Dell Optiplex, P something/666MHz CPU,
        with about 382MEG of Ram on Windows 2000. It has a "real" Sounblaster
        PCI Soundcard to play with, and works quite well. According to Task
        Mangler, the CPU usage bumbles along at about 3 to 5%, with bursts up to
        30 or 40% at the end of each "acuqisition period", (when the software no
        doubt does it's DSP stuff, to tell if it heard a beacon or not.)

        The only thing I saw that noticably improved when I ran it on a P4/1.8G
        cpu with 1/5G of Ram and on board sound system (AC97 based) was that the
        path timing plots has less variance/jitter shown between reception
        spots. Both PC's, are connected to the same switch in the same network