Re: [dxatlas] Re: Web Upload for Faros

  • D. Mynatt
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
      (TO POST)

      I think I'm going to try the setup suggested by Alex on his web site. It's a bit much compared with just making a some-named gif as an export from faros, but Faros is really nice and Alex has done a masterful job on it. I'll try the FTP application. I think I had it working, but need to try again to be sure. I need to get my antenna fixed; I broke off a bolt and the top of the discone is now free-floating. Ugh!

      Maybe all this activity will challenge a really talented person to write a neat add-on that does this... an 'all-in-one' thing that works no matter what image from a base application needs to be copied to and overwrite a file on a server.

      Thanks guys,

      Dave/KA0SWT

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 5, 2008
        Alex (G7KSE)

        If you ever need to host your own Faros page, let me know, and I'll walk
        you through what I had to do, not only with the mini web server program,
        but the Router "Adjustments" needed to allow it all to work, and stay
        secure.

        With a suitable PC, it should be posible to have Faros, and the web page
        server all on one box. It's a pitty it still needs an external NTP
        source, or you could use it when out portable away from the 'net.
        (Mobile GPRS or 3G based 'net, does not cut the mustard, oh how I've
        tried!)

        73

        Dave G0WBX.

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 7, 2008
          Hi Alex, The only problem I had was the time out and disconnect on idle. I need a keep-alive feature I guess. I have another FTP program that does that but won't upload on file change. What other FTP clients are available other that SCR?

          Thanks a million,

          Dave

          If you ever need to host your own Faros page, let me know, and I'll walk
          you through what I had to do, not only with the mini web server program,
          but the Router "Adjustments" needed to allow it all to work, and stay
          secure.

          With a suitable PC, it should be posible to have Faros, and the web page
          server all on one box. It's a pitty it still needs an external NTP
          source, or you could use it when out portable away from the 'net.
          (Mobile GPRS or 3G based 'net, does not cut the mustard, oh how I've
          tried!)

          73

          Dave G0WBX.

        • g7kse
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 10, 2008
            Where do I start. I tried a whole heap of different client.

            WinSCP - Did the upload fine but timed out and couldn't keep alive
            AutoFTP from Primasoft - As WinSCP
            AUTOftp Manager - Worked but being married to a Scot a free solution
            was what I was after.
            CoreFTP - Done on a schedule rather than as a syncro service. Worked
            well.
            FTP Synchronizer - Expensive but worked
            Carbon FTP - Never got off the ground as I found the Glen Delahoy
            AutoFTP

            I struggled so hard to make the keep alive part working that I ended
            up giving up and ended up using a macro recorder and scheduler in XP
            to run it. The ftp part was the biggest headache and still isn't
            failsafe on my system.

            I'm planning on a pc upgrade so I'm hoping that if I switch to a
            better motherboard then it'll not give out the errors so regularly

            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:

            > Hi Alex, The only problem I had was the time out and disconnect
            on idle. I need a keep-alive feature I guess. I have another FTP
            program that does that but won't upload on file change. What other
            FTP clients are available other that SCR?

            > Thanks a million,
            >
            > Dave

            11/5/2008 5:36 PM

          • Dave Baxter
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 11, 2008
              Hi Alex (G7KSE)

              Yes, that is much the same experience I had. The problem is not with
              the auto uploaders, but with the FTP servers at the website, they will
              timeout and drop the link if there is no traffic for a (short) period of
              time... As we have no control of that end, we are "stuffed" as we'd
              say.

              If there is an automatic FTP uploaded, that will itself close the link
              when the job is done, and then make a new connection when the next batch
              is ready, that is what we need, even on a file by file basis if need be.

              I have the tools to make such a program, but I don't sadly have the
              spare time for that (or many other things I'd like to do, not just
              radio, PC's etc)

              There are two conflicting requirements. To close the link when the
              batch work is done, and to detect when exactly that work is done. None
              of the automatic uploaders I've tried can it seems do either of them.

              I did some experiments with WinSCP and a FTP server of my own, and if
              you configure the server NOT to time out the clients connection, then
              WinSCP, AutoFTP etc work just fine all the time. BUT...

              If the connection is lost, (a network "burp" etc) then the server will
              not close the connection, and eventualy will exhaust it's network
              sockets resources, so you can see why just about all FTP servers will
              timeout a client at some point if there is no traffic. That and most
              clients inability to cleanly detect a failed link, and remake it, is the
              problem.

              The other problem, telling when the batch job is done, in some ways is
              easy, but if it's just sitting there monitoring the file system for
              changes, it has no way of telling that things are "done" for now, just
              because no changes have been made for a while. Unless you found one, I
              have not found one that will itself drop the link to the server cleanly,
              after a period of no local changes.

              Scheduled uploaders. Is probably the overall best way to go at the
              moment. They should connect to the server, shovel the data, and
              disconnect, nothing else. The problem is to get the schedule timing
              right so the website does not fall too far behind Faros, and conversely
              not to create too many unneeded updates. I guess if Faros is set to
              update the data files every quater hour say, then the sheduler could run
              every 7 1/2 minutes. Just an example, I have Faros updating the GIF's
              every hour here, so a sheduled upload every half hour, or triggered at
              specific minutes past the hour perhaps. Then you need to synchronise
              the PC's clock too, more fun and games!...

              73.

              Dave G0WBX

              > Messages
              > __________
              > 1. You have received an important Message!
              > Posted by: "hysfbce" hysfbce@... hysfbce
              > Date: Sun Nov 9, 2008 5:59 pm ((PST))
              >
              > You have received an important Message! Check it here:
              > ht tp://byd yvfu.zo omshare.com/fi les/ke nny.htm

              Yeah, as if I'm ever going to click on that! I broke the link just to
              make sure...
              Ignore it folks! No matter how well protected you may think you are, if
              you cause your system to down load a malicious web page, you can still
              get a nasty suprise, and not always imediatly!
              I'm not saying that page is know to be bad, but this is how the bad guys
              work...

              > Messages in this topic (1)
              > __________
              > 2a. Re: Web Upload for Faros
              > Posted by: "g7kse" g7kse@... g7kse
              > Date: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:49 am ((PST))
              >
              > Where do I start. I tried a whole heap of different client.
              >
              > WinSCP - Did the upload fine but timed out and couldn't keep
              > alive AutoFTP from Primasoft - As WinSCP AUTOftp Manager -
              > Worked but being married to a Scot a free solution was what I
              > was after.
              > CoreFTP - Done on a schedule rather than as a syncro service.
              > Worked well.
              > FTP Synchronizer - Expensive but worked
              > Carbon FTP - Never got off the ground as I found the Glen
              > Delahoy AutoFTP
              >
              > I struggled so hard to make the keep alive part working that
              > I ended up giving up and ended up using a macro recorder and
              > scheduler in XP to run it. The ftp part was the biggest
              > headache and still isn't failsafe on my system.
              >
              > I'm planning on a pc upgrade so I'm hoping that if I switch
              > to a better motherboard then it'll not give out the errors so
              > regularly
              >
              > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Alex, The only problem I had was the time out and disconnect
              > on idle. I need a keep-alive feature I guess. I have another
              > FTP program that does that but won't upload on file change.
              > What other FTP clients are available other that SCR?
              > >
              > > Thanks a million,
              > >
              > > Dave

            • g7kse
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 12, 2008
                Dave,

                We seem to have had very similar experiences with FTP and the
                uploads. Although I think I can safely say that you know much more
                about why it does what it does.

                My flavour of the month or rather last few months has been this one
                (http://www.glenn.delahoy.com/software/index.shtml)

                I have set it up with two options. One to do a detect and syncronise
                and a 'do it now' option. From my limited knowledge it seems to
                detect a change. I set it wait 30 seconds after that to make sure
                there was no conflicts with the very old laptop I use. Then start
                the FTP connection. Do the synchronising and then cut the connection.

                Most of the time it works quite well be every now and again it falls
                over and I suspect the PC is at fault as it is very slow.

                Just about all the other software needed more manual attention than
                was worth it. This seems to need the least amount of effort on my
                set up.

                I am looking at making a large change to the set up by building a HF
                lite softrock SDR and using a pico-itx m'board to run the station in
                place of the aging laptop and ic-703 and I'm hoping that this will
                solve some of the pc issues around the aging IT. It will take a
                while to build the SDR as I've never had any experience in SMD's and
                I almost lost one on the carpet yesterday morning!

                After that I think I might take you up on the setting up a web
                server of my own thing, just as long as I can get wordpress to run
                on it.

                Alex