Re: Web Upload for Faros

  • g7kse
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Baxter" <dave@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > page etc) on a read only shared folder on the machine that runs Faros.
      > Proof of the pudding? See..
      > http://g8kbv.homeip.net:8008/
      >
      > The use of port 8008 is a simple but pressingly effective measure to
      > keep 99% of the malicious script kiddies away, as I don't keep an open
      > port 80 to the world, also my router/gateway is configured to detect and
      > block any DoS behaviour to specific ports, ok so you are still taken off
      > air for a while, but it limits the mayhem on the LAN side... I have
      > had to block access to most of China though! As I was getting malicious
      > "Post" commands (googling on what was trying to be Posted!) and not
      > wanting to find out the hard way about what they were trying to do (that
      > the server does not support) I blocked that web IP subnet at the router.
      > Sad, but it had to be done.
      >
      > There are many such free personal web server programs around, but take
      > care to get one without any "other undocumented functionality" It's a
      > bit of a chore checking for stuff like that, but for example if it
      > installs weird services on your PC, and/or creates odd open ports etc,
      > it's probably best uninstalled and deleted.
      >
      > I also run the webserver in what's called a "Sandbox". Effectively a
      > "Virtual Machine" so if somthing nasty does happen to it, it's only that
      > VM that get's nuked, needing just that restarting for the "system" to be
      > clean again. I use the well known SandboxIE program for that, very
      > good, if a little tricky to get setup to run a server that needs some
      > external resources.
      >
      > If you also include a text file in the same folder as the main web page
      > called "robots.txt" with this as it's contents, just two lines...

      > Disallow: /
      >
      > That will tell any web crawling robots (the well behaved ones that is)
      > not to search any deeper than your main page. The bad robots will
      > probably ignore it, but it's a moot point.
      >
      > Alex VE3NEA if you ask him, can provide you with a .ico file, that is
      > the blue beacon image, that you can put again in the same folder as
      > "favicon.ico" That will let the browser assign that to the URL in the
      > address bar, and any a favourite or bookmark if they save your URL as
      > such. (You can also use it to customise any desktop shortcut you have
      > for Faros, or related tools.)
      >
      > If you do host your own web server (or any other web based service
      > "open" to the world) you really do need to fully understand web/network
      > security, and how to manage things like DoS (Denial of Service) floods
      > etc. There is lots of stuff on the web about all that, but ultimately,
      > it's a steep learning curve! Much of what I learnt, came from
      > www.grc.com and their "Security Now" netcasts. A most useful site to
      > browse, especially if you have any hard disk troubles......
      >
      > Above all, if you run a server of any type with public access, keep an
      > eye on it for any "Odd" behaviour, and if you see any, investigate it

      Hi Dave (G0WBX). As you can see with the script I'm still with
      Wordpress, VE3SUN's pages are really useful if you are build pages up
      from scratch and I totally agree with you about Kompozer (Nvu). Easy
      to use and well supported. As for the self host. I tried setting
      something up locally and I have to say that it was beyond me. Perhaps
      I need to do some more learning before trying again. Really good to
      know that there is an expert looking on though.

      Dave (KA0SWT)
      That stuff I posted was the full template from my wordpress site. I
      see also that you've given it a try on XAMPP. Perhaps I should do the
      same and see if it'll work for me. What theme are you usung and I'll
      try and copy that on my machine.

      Alex
    • D. Mynatt
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
        (TO POST)

        I think I'm going to try the setup suggested by Alex on his web site. It's a bit much compared with just making a some-named gif as an export from faros, but Faros is really nice and Alex has done a masterful job on it. I'll try the FTP application. I think I had it working, but need to try again to be sure. I need to get my antenna fixed; I broke off a bolt and the top of the discone is now free-floating. Ugh!

        Maybe all this activity will challenge a really talented person to write a neat add-on that does this... an 'all-in-one' thing that works no matter what image from a base application needs to be copied to and overwrite a file on a server.

        Thanks guys,

        Dave/KA0SWT

> [...]
        > and do what's needed there and then.
        >
        > Hope something here helps someone.
        >
        > Cheers.
        >
        > Dave G0WBX (G8KBV)

        Hi Dave (G0WBX). As you can see with the script I'm still with
        Wordpress, VE3SUN's pages are really useful if you are build pages up
        from scratch and I totally agree with you about Kompozer (Nvu). Easy
        to use and well supported. As for the self host. I tried setting
        something up locally and I have to say that it was beyond me. Perhaps
        I need to do some more learning before trying again. Really good to
        know that there is an expert looking on though.

        Dave (KA0SWT)
        That stuff I posted was the full template from my wordpress site. I
        see also that you've given it a try on XAMPP. Perhaps I should do the
        same and see if it'll work for me. What theme are you usung and I'll

      • Dave Baxter
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 5, 2008
          Alex (G7KSE)

          If you ever need to host your own Faros page, let me know, and I'll walk
          you through what I had to do, not only with the mini web server program,
          but the Router "Adjustments" needed to allow it all to work, and stay
          secure.

          With a suitable PC, it should be posible to have Faros, and the web page
          server all on one box. It's a pitty it still needs an external NTP
          source, or you could use it when out portable away from the 'net.
          (Mobile GPRS or 3G based 'net, does not cut the mustard, oh how I've
          tried!)

          73

          Dave G0WBX.

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 7, 2008
            Hi Alex, The only problem I had was the time out and disconnect on idle. I need a keep-alive feature I guess. I have another FTP program that does that but won't upload on file change. What other FTP clients are available other that SCR?

            Thanks a million,

            Dave

            If you ever need to host your own Faros page, let me know, and I'll walk
            you through what I had to do, not only with the mini web server program,
            but the Router "Adjustments" needed to allow it all to work, and stay
            secure.

            With a suitable PC, it should be posible to have Faros, and the web page
            server all on one box. It's a pitty it still needs an external NTP
            source, or you could use it when out portable away from the 'net.
            (Mobile GPRS or 3G based 'net, does not cut the mustard, oh how I've
            tried!)

            73

            Dave G0WBX.

          • g7kse
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 10, 2008
              Where do I start. I tried a whole heap of different client.

              WinSCP - Did the upload fine but timed out and couldn't keep alive
              AutoFTP from Primasoft - As WinSCP
              AUTOftp Manager - Worked but being married to a Scot a free solution
              was what I was after.
              CoreFTP - Done on a schedule rather than as a syncro service. Worked
              well.
              FTP Synchronizer - Expensive but worked
              Carbon FTP - Never got off the ground as I found the Glen Delahoy
              AutoFTP

              I struggled so hard to make the keep alive part working that I ended
              up giving up and ended up using a macro recorder and scheduler in XP
              to run it. The ftp part was the biggest headache and still isn't
              failsafe on my system.

              I'm planning on a pc upgrade so I'm hoping that if I switch to a
              better motherboard then it'll not give out the errors so regularly

              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:

              > Hi Alex, The only problem I had was the time out and disconnect
              on idle. I need a keep-alive feature I guess. I have another FTP
              program that does that but won't upload on file change. What other
              FTP clients are available other that SCR?

              > Thanks a million,
              >
              > Dave

              11/5/2008 5:36 PM

            • Dave Baxter
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 11, 2008
                Hi Alex (G7KSE)

                Yes, that is much the same experience I had. The problem is not with
                the auto uploaders, but with the FTP servers at the website, they will
                timeout and drop the link if there is no traffic for a (short) period of
                time... As we have no control of that end, we are "stuffed" as we'd
                say.

                If there is an automatic FTP uploaded, that will itself close the link
                when the job is done, and then make a new connection when the next batch
                is ready, that is what we need, even on a file by file basis if need be.

                I have the tools to make such a program, but I don't sadly have the
                spare time for that (or many other things I'd like to do, not just
                radio, PC's etc)

                There are two conflicting requirements. To close the link when the
                batch work is done, and to detect when exactly that work is done. None
                of the automatic uploaders I've tried can it seems do either of them.

                I did some experiments with WinSCP and a FTP server of my own, and if
                you configure the server NOT to time out the clients connection, then
                WinSCP, AutoFTP etc work just fine all the time. BUT...

                If the connection is lost, (a network "burp" etc) then the server will
                not close the connection, and eventualy will exhaust it's network
                sockets resources, so you can see why just about all FTP servers will
                timeout a client at some point if there is no traffic. That and most
                clients inability to cleanly detect a failed link, and remake it, is the
                problem.

                The other problem, telling when the batch job is done, in some ways is
                easy, but if it's just sitting there monitoring the file system for
                changes, it has no way of telling that things are "done" for now, just
                because no changes have been made for a while. Unless you found one, I
                have not found one that will itself drop the link to the server cleanly,
                after a period of no local changes.

                Scheduled uploaders. Is probably the overall best way to go at the
                moment. They should connect to the server, shovel the data, and
                disconnect, nothing else. The problem is to get the schedule timing
                right so the website does not fall too far behind Faros, and conversely
                not to create too many unneeded updates. I guess if Faros is set to
                update the data files every quater hour say, then the sheduler could run
                every 7 1/2 minutes. Just an example, I have Faros updating the GIF's
                every hour here, so a sheduled upload every half hour, or triggered at
                specific minutes past the hour perhaps. Then you need to synchronise
                the PC's clock too, more fun and games!...

                73.

                Dave G0WBX

                > Messages
                > __________
                > 1. You have received an important Message!
                > Posted by: "hysfbce" hysfbce@... hysfbce
                > Date: Sun Nov 9, 2008 5:59 pm ((PST))
                >
                > You have received an important Message! Check it here:
                > ht tp://byd yvfu.zo omshare.com/fi les/ke nny.htm

                Yeah, as if I'm ever going to click on that! I broke the link just to
                make sure...
                Ignore it folks! No matter how well protected you may think you are, if
                you cause your system to down load a malicious web page, you can still
                get a nasty suprise, and not always imediatly!
                I'm not saying that page is know to be bad, but this is how the bad guys
                work...

                > Messages in this topic (1)
                > __________
                > 2a. Re: Web Upload for Faros
                > Posted by: "g7kse" g7kse@... g7kse
                > Date: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:49 am ((PST))
                >
                > Where do I start. I tried a whole heap of different client.
                >
                > WinSCP - Did the upload fine but timed out and couldn't keep
                > alive AutoFTP from Primasoft - As WinSCP AUTOftp Manager -
                > Worked but being married to a Scot a free solution was what I
                > was after.
                > CoreFTP - Done on a schedule rather than as a syncro service.
                > Worked well.
                > FTP Synchronizer - Expensive but worked
                > Carbon FTP - Never got off the ground as I found the Glen
                > Delahoy AutoFTP
                >
                > I struggled so hard to make the keep alive part working that
                > I ended up giving up and ended up using a macro recorder and
                > scheduler in XP to run it. The ftp part was the biggest
                > headache and still isn't failsafe on my system.
                >
                > I'm planning on a pc upgrade so I'm hoping that if I switch
                > to a better motherboard then it'll not give out the errors so
                > regularly
                >
                > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Alex, The only problem I had was the time out and disconnect
                > on idle. I need a keep-alive feature I guess. I have another
                > FTP program that does that but won't upload on file change.
                > What other FTP clients are available other that SCR?
                > >
                > > Thanks a million,
                > >
                > > Dave

              • g7kse
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 12, 2008
                  Dave,

                  We seem to have had very similar experiences with FTP and the
                  uploads. Although I think I can safely say that you know much more
                  about why it does what it does.

                  My flavour of the month or rather last few months has been this one
                  (http://www.glenn.delahoy.com/software/index.shtml)

                  I have set it up with two options. One to do a detect and syncronise
                  and a 'do it now' option. From my limited knowledge it seems to
                  detect a change. I set it wait 30 seconds after that to make sure
                  there was no conflicts with the very old laptop I use. Then start
                  the FTP connection. Do the synchronising and then cut the connection.

                  Most of the time it works quite well be every now and again it falls
                  over and I suspect the PC is at fault as it is very slow.

                  Just about all the other software needed more manual attention than
                  was worth it. This seems to need the least amount of effort on my
                  set up.

                  I am looking at making a large change to the set up by building a HF
                  lite softrock SDR and using a pico-itx m'board to run the station in
                  place of the aging laptop and ic-703 and I'm hoping that this will
                  solve some of the pc issues around the aging IT. It will take a
                  while to build the SDR as I've never had any experience in SMD's and
                  I almost lost one on the carpet yesterday morning!

                  After that I think I might take you up on the setting up a web
                  server of my own thing, just as long as I can get wordpress to run
                  on it.

                  Alex