[dxatlas] Re: CW Skimmer 1.3

  • bill_w4zv
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldvolpe" <inbound@...> wrote:

      > One of these days I'll take the Orion apart and install a 9MHz buffer
      > amp on the IF with an output on the back panel, then I'll have the
      > flexibility to try different approaches.... until then 3 kHz will have
      > to do.

      I assume you know about Rick VE7TK's mod to do this. Using LP-PAN
      this will give you 24 kHz:

      http://www3.telus.net/ve7tk/9MHz_IF.pdf

      > Oh, you didn't comment on the selecting VFOs...

      Yes, that's the same question I asked a few messages back. Optionally
      send the rig to either VFO A (for RX) or VFO B (for TX in Split mode)
      in the Skimmer waterfall. This should be possible in the individual
      .ini files but it would be much more convenient if it were an option
      in Skimmer's drop-down Menu.

      73, Bill
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
        Hi Jerry,

        If you set up CW Skimmer on IF, this is not going to be a small return, this
        will be a breakthrough that will radically change your DXing. This is not
        just a theory, I know this from my own experience. I used a 3-kHz waterfall
        display for a couple of years. I had a modest homebrew antenna and 100W, and
        the waterfall helped me to crack small pileups, but I would not even bother
        to call real DX in the 10+kHz pileups since I knew I had no chances to work
        them.

        Everything changed when I put a SoftRock on the IF of my Kenwood TS-570
        three years ago. Now I could see the whole pileup, no matter how big it was.
        I still had my homebrew antenna and no PA, but I started to work the most
        rare DX on a regular basis. I worked 3Y0X within an our after they appeared
        on the bands for the first time, when the whole world was chasing them for a
        new one. I worked two VU4's and both VU7 stations, though this was not easy.
        FT5XO, 9N7JO and ZL9BSJ/P were a piece of cake, I worked them on the second
        or third call. In total, I worked 292 DXCC entities in the 4 years of low
        sunspots - I think I would work only half of that without the Skimmer.

        The wideband waterfall was the key to success in cracking the big pileups.
        By looking at the dots and dashes of the calling stations, I always knew
        where the DX was listening, and could see the gaps in the pileup. I just
        waited until the DX operator tunes his receiver at a clear frequency, and
        called him there.

        Cracking the pileups is one thing, but finding the DX before the pileup
        develops is equally important. CW Skimmer is very useful in this respect. If
        you can see a wide slice of the band, you have excellent chances of
        discovering the DX when he sends his first CQ. That's how I worked SV2ASP/A
        in CW. The waterfall alone was not enough for that though. I did my
        homework, and I knew when and where to listen for Monk Apollo, but the
        waterfall helped me to be the first to discover his signal when he finally
        appeared on the band.

        I hope now you understand why I highly recommend the wideband approach and
        discourage the users from using the Skimmer in the narrowband mode, except
        for the initial testing of the software. The advantages of the wideband mode
        are so huge that they justify any amount of work required to set up a
        wideband radio.

        Not yet, I'm thinking about a couple of paths that I could go in....
        including LP-PAN. But as you say.... a lot of complexity for what
        might be a small return. I use CW Skimmer to help me level the playing
        field when chasing DX running split. Generally the most bandwidth I
        would ever use would be 10 kHz. As it is 3 kHz works maybe 60% of the
        time with just a little bit of VFO movement.

        One of these days I'll take the Orion apart and install a 9MHz buffer
        amp on the IF with an output on the back panel, then I'll have the
        flexibility to try different approaches.... until then 3 kHz will have
        to do.

        Oh, you didn't comment on the selecting VFOs...

        Thanks for the speedy reply.

        73, Jerry, KG6TT
      • Dan Schaaf
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27, 2010
          Dear Alex

          I lost the registration code for Skimmer. Can I have it again?

          Dan Schaaf
          K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
          Cape Cod Instruments www.gnm-inc.com
          NOBSKA www.nobska.net

          Sent from my Ham Radio computer since I do not have a Blackberry