Re: Web Upload for Faros

  • Dave Baxter
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
      Hi...

      At the moment I host my own web site so the auto FTP upload isn't an
      issue for me, yet. However I did it this way as like Alex (G7KSE) I had
      lots of problems with WinSCP, not least that most servers will auto
      disconnect you, if there is no traffic between you and them, 15 minutes
      was way too long! Any less, and I'd risk the ISP police complaining
      about something.

      I've looked at AutoFTP, it would appear to do the job, but I've not yet
      used it in anger.

      For web page creation, I started with the example liked on the IBP
      website by VE3SUN at http://faros.ve3sun.com/

      I then used Nvu and later Kompozer (a derivative of Nvu) to alter and
      maintain the web page as needed
      http://www.nvu.com

      Both work well on Windows, and seem to create compact and reliable web
      code. Very easy to use too.

      For me, I have the webserver program on one PC, and all the data (web
      page etc) on a read only shared folder on the machine that runs Faros.
      Proof of the pudding? See..
      http://g8kbv.homeip.net:8008/

      The use of port 8008 is a simple but pressingly effective measure to
      keep 99% of the malicious script kiddies away, as I don't keep an open
      port 80 to the world, also my router/gateway is configured to detect and
      block any DoS behaviour to specific ports, ok so you are still taken off
      air for a while, but it limits the mayhem on the LAN side... I have
      had to block access to most of China though! As I was getting malicious
      "Post" commands (googling on what was trying to be Posted!) and not
      wanting to find out the hard way about what they were trying to do (that
      the server does not support) I blocked that web IP subnet at the router.
      Sad, but it had to be done.

      There are many such free personal web server programs around, but take
      care to get one without any "other undocumented functionality" It's a
      bit of a chore checking for stuff like that, but for example if it
      installs weird services on your PC, and/or creates odd open ports etc,
      it's probably best uninstalled and deleted.

      I also run the webserver in what's called a "Sandbox". Effectively a
      "Virtual Machine" so if somthing nasty does happen to it, it's only that
      VM that get's nuked, needing just that restarting for the "system" to be
      clean again. I use the well known SandboxIE program for that, very
      good, if a little tricky to get setup to run a server that needs some
      external resources.

      If you also include a text file in the same folder as the main web page
      called "robots.txt" with this as it's contents, just two lines...

      Disallow: /

      That will tell any web crawling robots (the well behaved ones that is)
      not to search any deeper than your main page. The bad robots will
      probably ignore it, but it's a moot point.

      Alex VE3NEA if you ask him, can provide you with a .ico file, that is
      the blue beacon image, that you can put again in the same folder as
      "favicon.ico" That will let the browser assign that to the URL in the
      address bar, and any a favourite or bookmark if they save your URL as
      such. (You can also use it to customise any desktop shortcut you have
      for Faros, or related tools.)

      If you do host your own web server (or any other web based service
      "open" to the world) you really do need to fully understand web/network
      security, and how to manage things like DoS (Denial of Service) floods
      etc. There is lots of stuff on the web about all that, but ultimately,
      it's a steep learning curve! Much of what I learnt, came from
      www.grc.com and their "Security Now" netcasts. A most useful site to
      browse, especially if you have any hard disk troubles......

      Above all, if you run a server of any type with public access, keep an
      eye on it for any "Odd" behaviour, and if you see any, investigate it
      and do what's needed there and then.

      Hope something here helps someone.

      Cheers.

      Dave G0WBX (G8KBV)
    • g7kse
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Baxter" <dave@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > "favicon.ico" That will let the browser assign that to the URL in the
        > address bar, and any a favourite or bookmark if they save your URL as
        > such. (You can also use it to customise any desktop shortcut you have
        > for Faros, or related tools.)
        >
        > If you do host your own web server (or any other web based service
        > "open" to the world) you really do need to fully understand web/network
        > security, and how to manage things like DoS (Denial of Service) floods
        > etc. There is lots of stuff on the web about all that, but ultimately,
        > it's a steep learning curve! Much of what I learnt, came from
        > www.grc.com and their "Security Now" netcasts. A most useful site to
        > browse, especially if you have any hard disk troubles......
        >
        > Above all, if you run a server of any type with public access, keep an
        > eye on it for any "Odd" behaviour, and if you see any, investigate it

        Hi Dave (G0WBX). As you can see with the script I'm still with
        Wordpress, VE3SUN's pages are really useful if you are build pages up
        from scratch and I totally agree with you about Kompozer (Nvu). Easy
        to use and well supported. As for the self host. I tried setting
        something up locally and I have to say that it was beyond me. Perhaps
        I need to do some more learning before trying again. Really good to
        know that there is an expert looking on though.

        Dave (KA0SWT)
        That stuff I posted was the full template from my wordpress site. I
        see also that you've given it a try on XAMPP. Perhaps I should do the
        same and see if it'll work for me. What theme are you usung and I'll
        try and copy that on my machine.

        Alex
      • D. Mynatt
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
          (TO POST)

          I think I'm going to try the setup suggested by Alex on his web site. It's a bit much compared with just making a some-named gif as an export from faros, but Faros is really nice and Alex has done a masterful job on it. I'll try the FTP application. I think I had it working, but need to try again to be sure. I need to get my antenna fixed; I broke off a bolt and the top of the discone is now free-floating. Ugh!

          Maybe all this activity will challenge a really talented person to write a neat add-on that does this... an 'all-in-one' thing that works no matter what image from a base application needs to be copied to and overwrite a file on a server.

          Thanks guys,

          Dave/KA0SWT

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 5, 2008
            Alex (G7KSE)

            If you ever need to host your own Faros page, let me know, and I'll walk
            you through what I had to do, not only with the mini web server program,
            but the Router "Adjustments" needed to allow it all to work, and stay
            secure.

            With a suitable PC, it should be posible to have Faros, and the web page
            server all on one box. It's a pitty it still needs an external NTP
            source, or you could use it when out portable away from the 'net.
            (Mobile GPRS or 3G based 'net, does not cut the mustard, oh how I've
            tried!)

            73

            Dave G0WBX.

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 7, 2008
              Hi Alex, The only problem I had was the time out and disconnect on idle. I need a keep-alive feature I guess. I have another FTP program that does that but won't upload on file change. What other FTP clients are available other that SCR?

              Thanks a million,

              Dave

              If you ever need to host your own Faros page, let me know, and I'll walk
              you through what I had to do, not only with the mini web server program,
              but the Router "Adjustments" needed to allow it all to work, and stay
              secure.

              With a suitable PC, it should be posible to have Faros, and the web page
              server all on one box. It's a pitty it still needs an external NTP
              source, or you could use it when out portable away from the 'net.
              (Mobile GPRS or 3G based 'net, does not cut the mustard, oh how I've
              tried!)

              73

              Dave G0WBX.

            • g7kse
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 10, 2008
                Where do I start. I tried a whole heap of different client.

                WinSCP - Did the upload fine but timed out and couldn't keep alive
                AutoFTP from Primasoft - As WinSCP
                AUTOftp Manager - Worked but being married to a Scot a free solution
                was what I was after.
                CoreFTP - Done on a schedule rather than as a syncro service. Worked
                well.
                FTP Synchronizer - Expensive but worked
                Carbon FTP - Never got off the ground as I found the Glen Delahoy
                AutoFTP

                I struggled so hard to make the keep alive part working that I ended
                up giving up and ended up using a macro recorder and scheduler in XP
                to run it. The ftp part was the biggest headache and still isn't
                failsafe on my system.

                I'm planning on a pc upgrade so I'm hoping that if I switch to a
                better motherboard then it'll not give out the errors so regularly

                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:

                > Hi Alex, The only problem I had was the time out and disconnect
                on idle. I need a keep-alive feature I guess. I have another FTP
                program that does that but won't upload on file change. What other
                FTP clients are available other that SCR?

                > Thanks a million,
                >
                > Dave

                11/5/2008 5:36 PM

              • Dave Baxter
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 11, 2008
                  Hi Alex (G7KSE)

                  Yes, that is much the same experience I had. The problem is not with
                  the auto uploaders, but with the FTP servers at the website, they will
                  timeout and drop the link if there is no traffic for a (short) period of
                  time... As we have no control of that end, we are "stuffed" as we'd
                  say.

                  If there is an automatic FTP uploaded, that will itself close the link
                  when the job is done, and then make a new connection when the next batch
                  is ready, that is what we need, even on a file by file basis if need be.

                  I have the tools to make such a program, but I don't sadly have the
                  spare time for that (or many other things I'd like to do, not just
                  radio, PC's etc)

                  There are two conflicting requirements. To close the link when the
                  batch work is done, and to detect when exactly that work is done. None
                  of the automatic uploaders I've tried can it seems do either of them.

                  I did some experiments with WinSCP and a FTP server of my own, and if
                  you configure the server NOT to time out the clients connection, then
                  WinSCP, AutoFTP etc work just fine all the time. BUT...

                  If the connection is lost, (a network "burp" etc) then the server will
                  not close the connection, and eventualy will exhaust it's network
                  sockets resources, so you can see why just about all FTP servers will
                  timeout a client at some point if there is no traffic. That and most
                  clients inability to cleanly detect a failed link, and remake it, is the
                  problem.

                  The other problem, telling when the batch job is done, in some ways is
                  easy, but if it's just sitting there monitoring the file system for
                  changes, it has no way of telling that things are "done" for now, just
                  because no changes have been made for a while. Unless you found one, I
                  have not found one that will itself drop the link to the server cleanly,
                  after a period of no local changes.

                  Scheduled uploaders. Is probably the overall best way to go at the
                  moment. They should connect to the server, shovel the data, and
                  disconnect, nothing else. The problem is to get the schedule timing
                  right so the website does not fall too far behind Faros, and conversely
                  not to create too many unneeded updates. I guess if Faros is set to
                  update the data files every quater hour say, then the sheduler could run
                  every 7 1/2 minutes. Just an example, I have Faros updating the GIF's
                  every hour here, so a sheduled upload every half hour, or triggered at
                  specific minutes past the hour perhaps. Then you need to synchronise
                  the PC's clock too, more fun and games!...

                  73.

                  Dave G0WBX

                  > Messages
                  > __________
                  > 1. You have received an important Message!
                  > Posted by: "hysfbce" hysfbce@... hysfbce
                  > Date: Sun Nov 9, 2008 5:59 pm ((PST))
                  >
                  > You have received an important Message! Check it here:
                  > ht tp://byd yvfu.zo omshare.com/fi les/ke nny.htm

                  Yeah, as if I'm ever going to click on that! I broke the link just to
                  make sure...
                  Ignore it folks! No matter how well protected you may think you are, if
                  you cause your system to down load a malicious web page, you can still
                  get a nasty suprise, and not always imediatly!
                  I'm not saying that page is know to be bad, but this is how the bad guys
                  work...

                  > Messages in this topic (1)
                  > __________
                  > 2a. Re: Web Upload for Faros
                  > Posted by: "g7kse" g7kse@... g7kse
                  > Date: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:49 am ((PST))
                  >
                  > Where do I start. I tried a whole heap of different client.
                  >
                  > WinSCP - Did the upload fine but timed out and couldn't keep
                  > alive AutoFTP from Primasoft - As WinSCP AUTOftp Manager -
                  > Worked but being married to a Scot a free solution was what I
                  > was after.
                  > CoreFTP - Done on a schedule rather than as a syncro service.
                  > Worked well.
                  > FTP Synchronizer - Expensive but worked
                  > Carbon FTP - Never got off the ground as I found the Glen
                  > Delahoy AutoFTP
                  >
                  > I struggled so hard to make the keep alive part working that
                  > I ended up giving up and ended up using a macro recorder and
                  > scheduler in XP to run it. The ftp part was the biggest
                  > headache and still isn't failsafe on my system.
                  >
                  > I'm planning on a pc upgrade so I'm hoping that if I switch
                  > to a better motherboard then it'll not give out the errors so
                  > regularly
                  >
                  > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Alex, The only problem I had was the time out and disconnect
                  > on idle. I need a keep-alive feature I guess. I have another
                  > FTP program that does that but won't upload on file change.
                  > What other FTP clients are available other that SCR?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks a million,
                  > >
                  > > Dave

                • g7kse
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 12, 2008
                    Dave,

                    We seem to have had very similar experiences with FTP and the
                    uploads. Although I think I can safely say that you know much more
                    about why it does what it does.

                    My flavour of the month or rather last few months has been this one
                    (http://www.glenn.delahoy.com/software/index.shtml)

                    I have set it up with two options. One to do a detect and syncronise
                    and a 'do it now' option. From my limited knowledge it seems to
                    detect a change. I set it wait 30 seconds after that to make sure
                    there was no conflicts with the very old laptop I use. Then start
                    the FTP connection. Do the synchronising and then cut the connection.

                    Most of the time it works quite well be every now and again it falls
                    over and I suspect the PC is at fault as it is very slow.

                    Just about all the other software needed more manual attention than
                    was worth it. This seems to need the least amount of effort on my
                    set up.

                    I am looking at making a large change to the set up by building a HF
                    lite softrock SDR and using a pico-itx m'board to run the station in
                    place of the aging laptop and ic-703 and I'm hoping that this will
                    solve some of the pc issues around the aging IT. It will take a
                    while to build the SDR as I've never had any experience in SMD's and
                    I almost lost one on the carpet yesterday morning!

                    After that I think I might take you up on the setting up a web
                    server of my own thing, just as long as I can get wordpress to run
                    on it.

                    Alex