[dxatlas] Re: CW Skimmer 1.3

  • jeraldvolpe
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008

      > Hi Jerry,
      >
      > Current architecture of CW Skimmer allows only the bandwidths of 3
      kHz and
      > 24xN kHz. To implement a different bandwidth, I would have to
      re-work many
      > modules. This would take 30-50 hours of work and produce only a
      marginal
      > improvement of the functionality. In one of my previous emails I
      suggested
      > that you use the IF output of your Orion and get much larger swath of
      > spectrum on the waterfall. Have you tried this?
      >
      > 73 Alex VE3NEA

      Not yet, I'm thinking about a couple of paths that I could go in....
      including LP-PAN. But as you say.... a lot of complexity for what
      might be a small return. I use CW Skimmer to help me level the playing
      field when chasing DX running split. Generally the most bandwidth I
      would ever use would be 10 kHz. As it is 3 kHz works maybe 60% of the
      time with just a little bit of VFO movement.

      One of these days I'll take the Orion apart and install a 9MHz buffer
      amp on the IF with an output on the back panel, then I'll have the
      flexibility to try different approaches.... until then 3 kHz will have
      to do.

      Oh, you didn't comment on the selecting VFOs...

      Thanks for the speedy reply.

      73, Jerry, KG6TT
    • bill_w4zv
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldvolpe" <inbound@...> wrote:

        > One of these days I'll take the Orion apart and install a 9MHz buffer
        > amp on the IF with an output on the back panel, then I'll have the
        > flexibility to try different approaches.... until then 3 kHz will have
        > to do.

        I assume you know about Rick VE7TK's mod to do this. Using LP-PAN
        this will give you 24 kHz:

        http://www3.telus.net/ve7tk/9MHz_IF.pdf

        > Oh, you didn't comment on the selecting VFOs...

        Yes, that's the same question I asked a few messages back. Optionally
        send the rig to either VFO A (for RX) or VFO B (for TX in Split mode)
        in the Skimmer waterfall. This should be possible in the individual
        .ini files but it would be much more convenient if it were an option
        in Skimmer's drop-down Menu.

        73, Bill
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
          Hi Jerry,

          If you set up CW Skimmer on IF, this is not going to be a small return, this
          will be a breakthrough that will radically change your DXing. This is not
          just a theory, I know this from my own experience. I used a 3-kHz waterfall
          display for a couple of years. I had a modest homebrew antenna and 100W, and
          the waterfall helped me to crack small pileups, but I would not even bother
          to call real DX in the 10+kHz pileups since I knew I had no chances to work
          them.

          Everything changed when I put a SoftRock on the IF of my Kenwood TS-570
          three years ago. Now I could see the whole pileup, no matter how big it was.
          I still had my homebrew antenna and no PA, but I started to work the most
          rare DX on a regular basis. I worked 3Y0X within an our after they appeared
          on the bands for the first time, when the whole world was chasing them for a
          new one. I worked two VU4's and both VU7 stations, though this was not easy.
          FT5XO, 9N7JO and ZL9BSJ/P were a piece of cake, I worked them on the second
          or third call. In total, I worked 292 DXCC entities in the 4 years of low
          sunspots - I think I would work only half of that without the Skimmer.

          The wideband waterfall was the key to success in cracking the big pileups.
          By looking at the dots and dashes of the calling stations, I always knew
          where the DX was listening, and could see the gaps in the pileup. I just
          waited until the DX operator tunes his receiver at a clear frequency, and
          called him there.

          Cracking the pileups is one thing, but finding the DX before the pileup
          develops is equally important. CW Skimmer is very useful in this respect. If
          you can see a wide slice of the band, you have excellent chances of
          discovering the DX when he sends his first CQ. That's how I worked SV2ASP/A
          in CW. The waterfall alone was not enough for that though. I did my
          homework, and I knew when and where to listen for Monk Apollo, but the
          waterfall helped me to be the first to discover his signal when he finally
          appeared on the band.

          I hope now you understand why I highly recommend the wideband approach and
          discourage the users from using the Skimmer in the narrowband mode, except
          for the initial testing of the software. The advantages of the wideband mode
          are so huge that they justify any amount of work required to set up a
          wideband radio.

          Not yet, I'm thinking about a couple of paths that I could go in....
          including LP-PAN. But as you say.... a lot of complexity for what
          might be a small return. I use CW Skimmer to help me level the playing
          field when chasing DX running split. Generally the most bandwidth I
          would ever use would be 10 kHz. As it is 3 kHz works maybe 60% of the
          time with just a little bit of VFO movement.

          One of these days I'll take the Orion apart and install a 9MHz buffer
          amp on the IF with an output on the back panel, then I'll have the
          flexibility to try different approaches.... until then 3 kHz will have
          to do.

          Oh, you didn't comment on the selecting VFOs...

          Thanks for the speedy reply.

          73, Jerry, KG6TT
        • Dan Schaaf
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27, 2010
            Dear Alex

            I lost the registration code for Skimmer. Can I have it again?

            Dan Schaaf
            K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
            Cape Cod Instruments www.gnm-inc.com
            NOBSKA www.nobska.net

            Sent from my Ham Radio computer since I do not have a Blackberry