Re: [dxatlas] Re: CW Skimmer 1.3

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
      Hi Jerry,

      Current architecture of CW Skimmer allows only the bandwidths of 3 kHz and
      24xN kHz. To implement a different bandwidth, I would have to re-work many
      modules. This would take 30-50 hours of work and produce only a marginal
      improvement of the functionality. In one of my previous emails I suggested
      that you use the IF output of your Orion and get much larger swath of
      spectrum on the waterfall. Have you tried this?

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008

        > Hi Jerry,
        >
        > Current architecture of CW Skimmer allows only the bandwidths of 3
        kHz and
        > 24xN kHz. To implement a different bandwidth, I would have to
        re-work many
        > modules. This would take 30-50 hours of work and produce only a
        marginal
        > improvement of the functionality. In one of my previous emails I
        suggested
        > that you use the IF output of your Orion and get much larger swath of
        > spectrum on the waterfall. Have you tried this?
        >
        > 73 Alex VE3NEA

        Not yet, I'm thinking about a couple of paths that I could go in....
        including LP-PAN. But as you say.... a lot of complexity for what
        might be a small return. I use CW Skimmer to help me level the playing
        field when chasing DX running split. Generally the most bandwidth I
        would ever use would be 10 kHz. As it is 3 kHz works maybe 60% of the
        time with just a little bit of VFO movement.

        One of these days I'll take the Orion apart and install a 9MHz buffer
        amp on the IF with an output on the back panel, then I'll have the
        flexibility to try different approaches.... until then 3 kHz will have
        to do.

        Oh, you didn't comment on the selecting VFOs...

        Thanks for the speedy reply.

        73, Jerry, KG6TT
      • bill_w4zv
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldvolpe" <inbound@...> wrote:

          > One of these days I'll take the Orion apart and install a 9MHz buffer
          > amp on the IF with an output on the back panel, then I'll have the
          > flexibility to try different approaches.... until then 3 kHz will have
          > to do.

          I assume you know about Rick VE7TK's mod to do this. Using LP-PAN
          this will give you 24 kHz:

          http://www3.telus.net/ve7tk/9MHz_IF.pdf

          > Oh, you didn't comment on the selecting VFOs...

          Yes, that's the same question I asked a few messages back. Optionally
          send the rig to either VFO A (for RX) or VFO B (for TX in Split mode)
          in the Skimmer waterfall. This should be possible in the individual
          .ini files but it would be much more convenient if it were an option
          in Skimmer's drop-down Menu.

          73, Bill
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
            Hi Jerry,

            If you set up CW Skimmer on IF, this is not going to be a small return, this
            will be a breakthrough that will radically change your DXing. This is not
            just a theory, I know this from my own experience. I used a 3-kHz waterfall
            display for a couple of years. I had a modest homebrew antenna and 100W, and
            the waterfall helped me to crack small pileups, but I would not even bother
            to call real DX in the 10+kHz pileups since I knew I had no chances to work
            them.

            Everything changed when I put a SoftRock on the IF of my Kenwood TS-570
            three years ago. Now I could see the whole pileup, no matter how big it was.
            I still had my homebrew antenna and no PA, but I started to work the most
            rare DX on a regular basis. I worked 3Y0X within an our after they appeared
            on the bands for the first time, when the whole world was chasing them for a
            new one. I worked two VU4's and both VU7 stations, though this was not easy.
            FT5XO, 9N7JO and ZL9BSJ/P were a piece of cake, I worked them on the second
            or third call. In total, I worked 292 DXCC entities in the 4 years of low
            sunspots - I think I would work only half of that without the Skimmer.

            The wideband waterfall was the key to success in cracking the big pileups.
            By looking at the dots and dashes of the calling stations, I always knew
            where the DX was listening, and could see the gaps in the pileup. I just
            waited until the DX operator tunes his receiver at a clear frequency, and
            called him there.

            Cracking the pileups is one thing, but finding the DX before the pileup
            develops is equally important. CW Skimmer is very useful in this respect. If
            you can see a wide slice of the band, you have excellent chances of
            discovering the DX when he sends his first CQ. That's how I worked SV2ASP/A
            in CW. The waterfall alone was not enough for that though. I did my
            homework, and I knew when and where to listen for Monk Apollo, but the
            waterfall helped me to be the first to discover his signal when he finally
            appeared on the band.

            I hope now you understand why I highly recommend the wideband approach and
            discourage the users from using the Skimmer in the narrowband mode, except
            for the initial testing of the software. The advantages of the wideband mode
            are so huge that they justify any amount of work required to set up a
            wideband radio.

            Not yet, I'm thinking about a couple of paths that I could go in....
            including LP-PAN. But as you say.... a lot of complexity for what
            might be a small return. I use CW Skimmer to help me level the playing
            field when chasing DX running split. Generally the most bandwidth I
            would ever use would be 10 kHz. As it is 3 kHz works maybe 60% of the
            time with just a little bit of VFO movement.

            One of these days I'll take the Orion apart and install a 9MHz buffer
            amp on the IF with an output on the back panel, then I'll have the
            flexibility to try different approaches.... until then 3 kHz will have
            to do.

            Oh, you didn't comment on the selecting VFOs...

            Thanks for the speedy reply.

            73, Jerry, KG6TT
          • Dan Schaaf
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 27, 2010
              Dear Alex

              I lost the registration code for Skimmer. Can I have it again?

              Dan Schaaf
              K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
              Cape Cod Instruments www.gnm-inc.com
              NOBSKA www.nobska.net

              Sent from my Ham Radio computer since I do not have a Blackberry