CW Skimmer 1.3

  • Alex Shovkoplyas, VE3NEA
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
      CW Skimmer 1.3 has been released. New in this version:

      - BLIND mode;
      - jump to the next/previous station command;
      - frequency calibration for SDR-IQ and QS1R;
      - multiple LO frequencies in the SoftRock mode;
      - SNR and WPM information in the Telnet spots.

      The upgrade is free for all registered users.

      73 Alex VE3NEA
    • jeraldvolpe
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
        Hello Alex:

        Thanks for version 1.3!

        Renewing my earlier requests:

        1. That you 'please' open up the 'standard' transceiver mode to more
        than 3 kHz. Here I sit with a bandpass of up to 8 kHz (flat) and I
        can't take advantage of it. Not knowing your code I don't know how
        hard it would be to allow for transceivers that can faithfully produce
        more than 3 kHz. But if not hard.... How about 5kHz as a compromise?
        There are a lot of us Orion and Orion II owners with second receivers
        with bandpasses that open to 8 kHz. There is no frequency roll off
        either withing that bandpass unless you select receive EQ setting, etc.

        2. Can you possible allow users to select reading and writing to VFO A
        (the current default) or VFO B if OmniRig supports if for the selected
        transceiver?

        Thanks for all your great applications. I am a registered user and
        user of all of them.

        73,
        Jerry, KG6TT

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Shovkoplyas, VE3NEA"

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
          Hi Jerry,

          Current architecture of CW Skimmer allows only the bandwidths of 3 kHz and
          24xN kHz. To implement a different bandwidth, I would have to re-work many
          modules. This would take 30-50 hours of work and produce only a marginal
          improvement of the functionality. In one of my previous emails I suggested
          that you use the IF output of your Orion and get much larger swath of
          spectrum on the waterfall. Have you tried this?

          <alshovk@...> wrote:

          > CW Skimmer 1.3 has been released. New in this version:
          >
          > - BLIND mode;
          > - jump to the next/previous station command;
          > - frequency calibration for SDR-IQ and QS1R;
          > - multiple LO frequencies in the SoftRock mode;
          > - SNR and WPM information in the Telnet spots.
          >
          > The upgrade is free for all registered users.
          >
          > 73 Alex VE3NEA

        • jeraldvolpe
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008

            > Hi Jerry,
            >
            > Current architecture of CW Skimmer allows only the bandwidths of 3
            kHz and
            > 24xN kHz. To implement a different bandwidth, I would have to
            re-work many
            > modules. This would take 30-50 hours of work and produce only a
            marginal
            > improvement of the functionality. In one of my previous emails I
            suggested
            > that you use the IF output of your Orion and get much larger swath of
            > spectrum on the waterfall. Have you tried this?
            >
            > 73 Alex VE3NEA

            Not yet, I'm thinking about a couple of paths that I could go in....
            including LP-PAN. But as you say.... a lot of complexity for what
            might be a small return. I use CW Skimmer to help me level the playing
            field when chasing DX running split. Generally the most bandwidth I
            would ever use would be 10 kHz. As it is 3 kHz works maybe 60% of the
            time with just a little bit of VFO movement.

            One of these days I'll take the Orion apart and install a 9MHz buffer
            amp on the IF with an output on the back panel, then I'll have the
            flexibility to try different approaches.... until then 3 kHz will have
            to do.

            Oh, you didn't comment on the selecting VFOs...

            Thanks for the speedy reply.

            73, Jerry, KG6TT
          • bill_w4zv
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldvolpe" <inbound@...> wrote:

              > One of these days I'll take the Orion apart and install a 9MHz buffer
              > amp on the IF with an output on the back panel, then I'll have the
              > flexibility to try different approaches.... until then 3 kHz will have
              > to do.

              I assume you know about Rick VE7TK's mod to do this. Using LP-PAN
              this will give you 24 kHz:

              http://www3.telus.net/ve7tk/9MHz_IF.pdf

              > Oh, you didn't comment on the selecting VFOs...

              Yes, that's the same question I asked a few messages back. Optionally
              send the rig to either VFO A (for RX) or VFO B (for TX in Split mode)
              in the Skimmer waterfall. This should be possible in the individual
              .ini files but it would be much more convenient if it were an option
              in Skimmer's drop-down Menu.

              73, Bill
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
                Hi Jerry,

                If you set up CW Skimmer on IF, this is not going to be a small return, this
                will be a breakthrough that will radically change your DXing. This is not
                just a theory, I know this from my own experience. I used a 3-kHz waterfall
                display for a couple of years. I had a modest homebrew antenna and 100W, and
                the waterfall helped me to crack small pileups, but I would not even bother
                to call real DX in the 10+kHz pileups since I knew I had no chances to work
                them.

                Everything changed when I put a SoftRock on the IF of my Kenwood TS-570
                three years ago. Now I could see the whole pileup, no matter how big it was.
                I still had my homebrew antenna and no PA, but I started to work the most
                rare DX on a regular basis. I worked 3Y0X within an our after they appeared
                on the bands for the first time, when the whole world was chasing them for a
                new one. I worked two VU4's and both VU7 stations, though this was not easy.
                FT5XO, 9N7JO and ZL9BSJ/P were a piece of cake, I worked them on the second
                or third call. In total, I worked 292 DXCC entities in the 4 years of low
                sunspots - I think I would work only half of that without the Skimmer.

                The wideband waterfall was the key to success in cracking the big pileups.
                By looking at the dots and dashes of the calling stations, I always knew
                where the DX was listening, and could see the gaps in the pileup. I just
                waited until the DX operator tunes his receiver at a clear frequency, and
                called him there.

                Cracking the pileups is one thing, but finding the DX before the pileup
                develops is equally important. CW Skimmer is very useful in this respect. If
                you can see a wide slice of the band, you have excellent chances of
                discovering the DX when he sends his first CQ. That's how I worked SV2ASP/A
                in CW. The waterfall alone was not enough for that though. I did my
                homework, and I knew when and where to listen for Monk Apollo, but the
                waterfall helped me to be the first to discover his signal when he finally
                appeared on the band.

                I hope now you understand why I highly recommend the wideband approach and
                discourage the users from using the Skimmer in the narrowband mode, except
                for the initial testing of the software. The advantages of the wideband mode
                are so huge that they justify any amount of work required to set up a
                wideband radio.

                Not yet, I'm thinking about a couple of paths that I could go in....
                including LP-PAN. But as you say.... a lot of complexity for what
                might be a small return. I use CW Skimmer to help me level the playing
                field when chasing DX running split. Generally the most bandwidth I
                would ever use would be 10 kHz. As it is 3 kHz works maybe 60% of the
                time with just a little bit of VFO movement.

                One of these days I'll take the Orion apart and install a 9MHz buffer
                amp on the IF with an output on the back panel, then I'll have the
                flexibility to try different approaches.... until then 3 kHz will have
                to do.

                Oh, you didn't comment on the selecting VFOs...

                Thanks for the speedy reply.

                73, Jerry, KG6TT
              • Dan Schaaf
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 27 12:00 PM
                  Dear Alex

                  I lost the registration code for Skimmer. Can I have it again?

                  Dan Schaaf
                  K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
                  Cape Cod Instruments www.gnm-inc.com
                  NOBSKA www.nobska.net

                  Sent from my Ham Radio computer since I do not have a Blackberry