Re: [dxatlas] Blind Skimmer Option for Unassisted Categories

  • rt_tclay
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 30, 2008
      It can also be argued that "clicking on dots" in the present version
      of Skimmer (even if callsigns are hidden) should fall in the
      "assisted" class. Why? Because the color of the dots indicates
      something about whether Skimmer has decoded and/or verified a call.

      So an "unassisted" mode would need to remove any coloring from the dots.

      I don't see anything wrong with just having the waterfall going, with
      dots and text hidden.

      It would be however possible to distinguish between a carrier and a
      real cw signal based on statistics (signal variability) and not text
      decoding.

      Tor
      N4OGW
    • Dave Baxter
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 31, 2008
        Just an observation on this thread.

        With Skimmer in "Blind" mode, I don't see much difference then, compared
        to if you had Spectran (or any other spectrum waterfall display program)
        showing, other than you can click on a signal to tune the radio.

        Some would no doubt say that feature was "an assistance" too (click to
        tune) There again, I'm not a contesting type these days (been there,
        done that etc).. And I'm sure the purists would say that having any
        sort of bandspread spectrum/waterfall display showing adjacent stations
        was an unfair advantage.

        As an aside, I just wish the contesters would keep the beacon
        allocations clear +- 100Hz or so of a weekend. Here in the UK, 20m in
        particular often has overseas CW, RTTY, even SSB stations working right
        next to (within 10Hz) or on top of the beacons. If you listen with mk1
        ear-ole, it's plain to see (hear) that they cannot even hear other
        people calling them, so they probably cant hear the beacons.

        The quality of some contest signals has to be questioned too, if it's
        not sat directly on top of 14.100, the splatter or sproggies get you,
        often from something 10's of kHz away! I'm fairly happy the RX is OK
        (TS870s with attenuation and AIP on etc) as it's not just some of the
        "big" signals that are bad, many of the less than S9 signals are
        appalling too!

        Still, even under those conditions, Faros (subject change) seems to do a
        remarkable job detecting the presence of a distance beacon that I can't
        even hear through the mayhem. OK so Faros seems to work OK, that is
        when the big signals don't depress the radio's AGC too much. I have the
        rig screwed down to 100Hz bandwidth, and even then it's a problem at
        times.

        Each to their own..

        73.

        Dave G0WBX.