ic275h Rig Description File

  • robertodileo
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2008
      Hello,
      i have the ic275h how i can controll it with omnirig?
      i see that this model is not supported.
      can u help me?
      Regards
      Roberto
    • Dave Baxter
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 2008
        Hi Roberto.

        Firstly, you need to confirm that radio has a remote control port,
        RS232, CAT, C-IV or whatever. Being Icom, I guess C-IV ?

        You next need to get it able to take and act on commands from your PC,
        if as I suspect (I couldnt confirm from a quick web search) it uses
        Icom's C-IV system, you will need a simple hardware interface. Designs
        are plenty on the web, just Google for "CIV RS232" for example, and pick
        one you like, then build or buy it. Building them is simple stuff,
        nothing complicated, and can be done for pocket money. The box to put
        it in will often be the most expensive single part.

        When you have it able to take commands from the PC, and respond back,
        you have confirmed it is communicating with the PC OK.

        You then need to either find someone who has made an Omnirig file for
        that radio, or you will need to make one yourself.

        All the information as to how Omnirig uses the .ini files is well
        documented, but it has to be said, it can strain the brain cell of many
        the first time you look! Stick with it, it's fairly simple when you
        get your head round the methods used...

        You will also need the manual for the radio, and the pages that describe
        the Icom protocol and that rig's implementation of it. With all that
        informaion, and some time, you could make your own specific .ini file
        for that radio.

        You could (should) also check the other Icom files that exist at the
        moment, and see if any are for "similar" radios of the same generation.
        You might find one that with a little modification might work with the
        275. If nothing else, they can be a good hint as to how to do it.

        Also, some sort of serial port monitor can be very useful when
        developing such .ini files. Get Eterlogic's "VSPE" tool.
        http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
        It's good for all sorts of things, but is also very good for making
        "soft" serial "Y" cables, so you can have the Radio, Omnirig, and
        Hyperterminal all talking to each other, so you can see what is going
        in/out of the PC and Radio, to make sure the right thing is happening.

        Unless someone else has come up with a ready made ic275h.ini file for
        you, I suspect you will need to develop your own file as hinted at
        above. Stick with it, Omnirig is a good system, and will allow you to
        do many things with your radio and other software, that can make things
        much more interesting for you.

        Best Regards..

        Dave G0WBX.