Re: [dxatlas] Blind Skimmer Option for Unassisted Categories

  • Jarmo Blomster
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 22, 2008
      Ok Alex,

      I'll look it there, thanks.
    • Graham
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 22, 2008
        Oops ... CW Skimmer and HRD work fine together once you know how to do
        the "wiring" (I need to make less assumptions and spend more time
        reading manuals / searching!):

        http://forums.ham-radio.ch/showpost.php?p=63620&postcount=7

        73 de Graham G3ZOD

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Graham" <grahamg3zod@...> wrote:
        > Also, am I right in thinking that CW Skimmer isn't ever going to
        > integrate with Ham Radio Deluxe?
      • rt_tclay
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 29, 2008
          You know you can already use version 1.2 "blind". Just close the
          callsign spot window, and resize the column where callsign labels
          appear to its minimum width. Just put the mouse on the left edge of
          that column and click/drag. Then there is nothing identifying the
          callsigns.

          There is still the decoder at the very bottom, but I don't think that
          is really much use. Writelog has had a cw decoder for years and no
          one complained about that. I suppose you could put a piece of tape
          over that line if it really bothers you :)

          Tor
          N4OGW

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:

          > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "ct1boh" <ct1boh@> wrote:
          >
          > > There is nothing wrong with havind the dot and dash on the
          waterfall
          > > display.
          > >
          > > If the operator "reads" the code on the display fine, it was him
          and
          > > not the decoder (i.e. the machine).
          > >
          > > The waterfall display of skimmer should stay as it is now. It is
          the
          > > text of the CW from the decoders that must be removed in the
          Blind
          > > Skimmer.
          >
          > Jose and Alex, after thinking about this, I agree. This should also
          > make implementation of the Blind option easier.
          >
          > > Also a faster way to tune the lines in the display, represented
          by the
          > > dots and dashes is a must. Using the mouse to click on the lines,
          it's
          > > not the most eficient way in a contest. I have suggested to Alex,
          that
          > > the arrow up/arrow down buttons in the keybord would be the ideal
          way
          > > to move the radio frequency into the next adjacent signal
          represented
          > > by the circles next to the line of each signal with the dashes
          and dots.

          > Yes, but move up/down only to the *yellow* dots. The white ones are
          > often artifacts.
          >
          > Good suggestions Jose!
          >
          > 73, Bill

        • rt_tclay
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 30, 2008
            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

            > You know you can already use version 1.2 "blind". Just close the
            > callsign spot window, and resize the column where callsign labels
            > appear to its minimum width. Just put the mouse on the left edge of
            > that column and click/drag. Then there is nothing identifying the
            > callsigns.
            >
            > There is still the decoder at the very bottom, but I don't think that

            And further- you can hide the decoder at the bottom under the Windows
            task bar. Then it is completely blind...

            Being able to turn off all decoding would probably speed it up
            considerably however.

            Tor
            N4OGW
          • bill_w4zv
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 30, 2008
              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

              > You know you can already use version 1.2 "blind". Just close the
              > callsign spot window, and resize the column where callsign labels
              > appear to its minimum width.

              Maybe not "minimum"...you still need the dots to be able to click on
              to send your receiver there. I'm sure Alex will come up with
              something a little more elegant which has no possibility of
              disqualification for the unassisted category.

              73, Bill
            • rt_tclay
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 30, 2008
                I don't understand...I just click on a signal in the waterfall
                display. It tunes the receiver there. You don't have to click on a
                dot. Yes, sometimes I have to touch up the tuning with the radio knob,
                but with a little practice you get very close.

                Also, the dots still do show up, so you can click on those if you
                want. The minimum resize width is not zero, but seems to be just
                enough to keep the dots.

                Try it, just resizing the column eliminates all the text display but
                the dots are kept.

                Tor
                N4OGW

                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:

                > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                > >
                > > You know you can already use version 1.2 "blind". Just close the
                > > callsign spot window, and resize the column where callsign labels
                > > appear to its minimum width.
                >
                > Maybe not "minimum"...you still need the dots to be able to click on
                > to send your receiver there. I'm sure Alex will come up with
                > something a little more elegant which has no possibility of
                > disqualification for the unassisted category.
                >
                > 73, Bill

              • rt_tclay
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 30, 2008
                  It can also be argued that "clicking on dots" in the present version
                  of Skimmer (even if callsigns are hidden) should fall in the
                  "assisted" class. Why? Because the color of the dots indicates
                  something about whether Skimmer has decoded and/or verified a call.

                  So an "unassisted" mode would need to remove any coloring from the dots.

                  I don't see anything wrong with just having the waterfall going, with
                  dots and text hidden.

                  It would be however possible to distinguish between a carrier and a
                  real cw signal based on statistics (signal variability) and not text
                  decoding.

                  Tor
                  N4OGW
                • rt_tclay

                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 31, 2008
                      Just an observation on this thread.

                      With Skimmer in "Blind" mode, I don't see much difference then, compared
                      to if you had Spectran (or any other spectrum waterfall display program)
                      showing, other than you can click on a signal to tune the radio.

                      Some would no doubt say that feature was "an assistance" too (click to
                      tune) There again, I'm not a contesting type these days (been there,
                      done that etc).. And I'm sure the purists would say that having any
                      sort of bandspread spectrum/waterfall display showing adjacent stations
                      was an unfair advantage.

                      As an aside, I just wish the contesters would keep the beacon
                      allocations clear +- 100Hz or so of a weekend. Here in the UK, 20m in
                      particular often has overseas CW, RTTY, even SSB stations working right
                      next to (within 10Hz) or on top of the beacons. If you listen with mk1
                      ear-ole, it's plain to see (hear) that they cannot even hear other
                      people calling them, so they probably cant hear the beacons.

                      The quality of some contest signals has to be questioned too, if it's
                      not sat directly on top of 14.100, the splatter or sproggies get you,
                      often from something 10's of kHz away! I'm fairly happy the RX is OK
                      (TS870s with attenuation and AIP on etc) as it's not just some of the
                      "big" signals that are bad, many of the less than S9 signals are
                      appalling too!

                      Still, even under those conditions, Faros (subject change) seems to do a
                      remarkable job detecting the presence of a distance beacon that I can't
                      even hear through the mayhem. OK so Faros seems to work OK, that is
                      when the big signals don't depress the radio's AGC too much. I have the
                      rig screwed down to 100Hz bandwidth, and even then it's a problem at
                      times.

                      Each to their own..

                      73.

                      Dave G0WBX.