Re: [dxatlas] Blind Skimmer Option for Unassisted Categories

    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 22, 2008
      Hi Jarmo,

      There are two aspects of integration with CW Skimmer: sharing the CAT
      control of the radio and receiving the decoded callsigns. CW Skimmer uses
      the
      OmniRig engine for CAT control, this allows other programs to have
      simultaneous access to CAT with CW Skimmer. OmniRig is freeware, its
      specifications are provided at http://www.dxatlas.com/omnirig . The rest of
      interfacing is done via the Telnet protocol. CW Skimmer sends its callsign
      data via Telnet, but there is also a number of Telnet commands that allows
      the clients to read and set the operating frequency of the Skimmer, and to
      provide feedback on the status of the callsigns. These commands are
      described in the CW Skimmer Help file, under Telnet.

      > Hello Alex,
      >> CW Skimmer has an open programming interface,
      >
      > I would like to examine the API you mention, can I find a description
      > somewhere?
      >
      > 73's oh8kva/jarmo

    • Jarmo Blomster
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 22, 2008
        Ok Alex,

        I'll look it there, thanks.
      • Graham
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 22, 2008
          Oops ... CW Skimmer and HRD work fine together once you know how to do
          the "wiring" (I need to make less assumptions and spend more time
          reading manuals / searching!):

          http://forums.ham-radio.ch/showpost.php?p=63620&postcount=7

          73 de Graham G3ZOD

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Graham" <grahamg3zod@...> wrote:
          > Also, am I right in thinking that CW Skimmer isn't ever going to
          > integrate with Ham Radio Deluxe?
        • rt_tclay
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 29, 2008
            You know you can already use version 1.2 "blind". Just close the
            callsign spot window, and resize the column where callsign labels
            appear to its minimum width. Just put the mouse on the left edge of
            that column and click/drag. Then there is nothing identifying the
            callsigns.

            There is still the decoder at the very bottom, but I don't think that
            is really much use. Writelog has had a cw decoder for years and no
            one complained about that. I suppose you could put a piece of tape
            over that line if it really bothers you :)

            Tor
            N4OGW

            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:

            > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "ct1boh" <ct1boh@> wrote:
            >
            > > There is nothing wrong with havind the dot and dash on the
            waterfall
            > > display.
            > >
            > > If the operator "reads" the code on the display fine, it was him
            and
            > > not the decoder (i.e. the machine).
            > >
            > > The waterfall display of skimmer should stay as it is now. It is
            the
            > > text of the CW from the decoders that must be removed in the
            Blind
            > > Skimmer.
            >
            > Jose and Alex, after thinking about this, I agree. This should also
            > make implementation of the Blind option easier.
            >
            > > Also a faster way to tune the lines in the display, represented
            by the
            > > dots and dashes is a must. Using the mouse to click on the lines,
            it's
            > > not the most eficient way in a contest. I have suggested to Alex,
            that
            > > the arrow up/arrow down buttons in the keybord would be the ideal
            way
            > > to move the radio frequency into the next adjacent signal
            represented
            > > by the circles next to the line of each signal with the dashes
            and dots.

            > Yes, but move up/down only to the *yellow* dots. The white ones are
            > often artifacts.
            >
            > Good suggestions Jose!
            >
            > 73, Bill

          • rt_tclay
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 30, 2008
              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

              > You know you can already use version 1.2 "blind". Just close the
              > callsign spot window, and resize the column where callsign labels
              > appear to its minimum width. Just put the mouse on the left edge of
              > that column and click/drag. Then there is nothing identifying the
              > callsigns.
              >
              > There is still the decoder at the very bottom, but I don't think that

              And further- you can hide the decoder at the bottom under the Windows
              task bar. Then it is completely blind...

              Being able to turn off all decoding would probably speed it up
              considerably however.

              Tor
              N4OGW
            • bill_w4zv
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 30, 2008
                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

                > You know you can already use version 1.2 "blind". Just close the
                > callsign spot window, and resize the column where callsign labels
                > appear to its minimum width.

                Maybe not "minimum"...you still need the dots to be able to click on
                to send your receiver there. I'm sure Alex will come up with
                something a little more elegant which has no possibility of
                disqualification for the unassisted category.

                73, Bill
              • rt_tclay
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 30, 2008
                  I don't understand...I just click on a signal in the waterfall
                  display. It tunes the receiver there. You don't have to click on a
                  dot. Yes, sometimes I have to touch up the tuning with the radio knob,
                  but with a little practice you get very close.

                  Also, the dots still do show up, so you can click on those if you
                  want. The minimum resize width is not zero, but seems to be just
                  enough to keep the dots.

                  Try it, just resizing the column eliminates all the text display but
                  the dots are kept.

                  Tor
                  N4OGW

                  --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:

                  > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > You know you can already use version 1.2 "blind". Just close the
                  > > callsign spot window, and resize the column where callsign labels
                  > > appear to its minimum width.
                  >
                  > Maybe not "minimum"...you still need the dots to be able to click on
                  > to send your receiver there. I'm sure Alex will come up with
                  > something a little more elegant which has no possibility of
                  > disqualification for the unassisted category.
                  >
                  > 73, Bill

                • rt_tclay
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 30, 2008
                    It can also be argued that "clicking on dots" in the present version
                    of Skimmer (even if callsigns are hidden) should fall in the
                    "assisted" class. Why? Because the color of the dots indicates
                    something about whether Skimmer has decoded and/or verified a call.

                    So an "unassisted" mode would need to remove any coloring from the dots.

                    I don't see anything wrong with just having the waterfall going, with
                    dots and text hidden.

                    It would be however possible to distinguish between a carrier and a
                    real cw signal based on statistics (signal variability) and not text
                    decoding.

                    Tor
                    N4OGW
                  • rt_tclay

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 31, 2008
                        Just an observation on this thread.

                        With Skimmer in "Blind" mode, I don't see much difference then, compared
                        to if you had Spectran (or any other spectrum waterfall display program)
                        showing, other than you can click on a signal to tune the radio.

                        Some would no doubt say that feature was "an assistance" too (click to
                        tune) There again, I'm not a contesting type these days (been there,
                        done that etc).. And I'm sure the purists would say that having any
                        sort of bandspread spectrum/waterfall display showing adjacent stations
                        was an unfair advantage.

                        As an aside, I just wish the contesters would keep the beacon
                        allocations clear +- 100Hz or so of a weekend. Here in the UK, 20m in
                        particular often has overseas CW, RTTY, even SSB stations working right
                        next to (within 10Hz) or on top of the beacons. If you listen with mk1
                        ear-ole, it's plain to see (hear) that they cannot even hear other
                        people calling them, so they probably cant hear the beacons.

                        The quality of some contest signals has to be questioned too, if it's
                        not sat directly on top of 14.100, the splatter or sproggies get you,
                        often from something 10's of kHz away! I'm fairly happy the RX is OK
                        (TS870s with attenuation and AIP on etc) as it's not just some of the
                        "big" signals that are bad, many of the less than S9 signals are
                        appalling too!

                        Still, even under those conditions, Faros (subject change) seems to do a
                        remarkable job detecting the presence of a distance beacon that I can't
                        even hear through the mayhem. OK so Faros seems to work OK, that is
                        when the big signals don't depress the radio's AGC too much. I have the
                        rig screwed down to 100Hz bandwidth, and even then it's a problem at
                        times.

                        Each to their own..

                        73.

                        Dave G0WBX.